• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

salarazad

Hi everyone,

We are trying to upgrade our radios firmware to the latest version (R02.20.20.20.0001) but it is giving an error that the "Software Update Management policy is expired".

I have tried with new radios which we bought on Jan-2021, and also with an older radio bought on Aug-2020; with both of them they are getting upgraded up to R02.10.10.0001, and then when trying to upgrade to R02.20.20.0001 or R02.20.20.0002 it is showing this error.

I found an a suggestion on a forum to recover the "Software Update Management" feature license with CPS2 and then activate it on the same radio; I have tried it but didn't work, it shows that the device does not have any features registered.

Anybody have faced a similar issue? because both of these radios from 2021 & 2020 are considered new and should be updated to the latest version with no problems; Or do I need to purchase some license to be able to upgrade?

Note: we are using MotoTRBO DP4801 radios, and we are using the latest CPS2 version (2.26.203.0).

Many Thanks for your help!

Tech21

Were you connected to the internet while doing the recovery and activation process? If not, connect to the internet and try again.

salarazad

Were you connected to the internet while doing the recovery and activation process? If not, connect to the internet and try again.
Yes I was connected to the internet and it shows "No feature registered on server", when I don't have an internet it shows another error that "Unable to contact to the license server, please check your network settings and try again".

Tech21

Then that confirms you have the firmware issue motorola issued a MTN about. Upgrade to the version m2020.1 or whatever the equivalent version is wherever you are. There was an issue in that firmware that prevents you from updating. Were these radios ever touched with Radio Management?

salarazad

Then that confirms you have the firmware issue motorola issued a MTN about. Upgrade to the version m2020.1 or whatever the equivalent version is wherever you are. There was an issue in that firmware that prevents you from updating. Were these radios ever touched with Radio Management?
I have found this MTN release which is related to this issue, but it is not working with our standard radios (DP4801 & DP4601).

Is this MTN meant for all radios models? and for all regions as well (including EMEA).

salarazad

Try upgrading to R02.10.08.0001 first also, and then to m2020.1
I have tried this one ofcourse, I have all the firmware releases and I'm upgrading the radios gradually, firmware by firmware but it is still failing.

The older radios serial numbers from 2020 should be upgraded directly to latest version? or we have to contact Motorola to activate the serial numbers or something like that?

Tech21

At this point, I'd call Motorola to confirm those radios are eligible for updates. If they are fairly new radios, they should still have an active license for updates. If you do update directly to m2020.1 it shouldn't cause any issues at all.

Firebuff880

So the process should be -

Update to R2.10.nn

Submit the Serial Number, Model and Licensed Features value to your Dealer ..

Pay for SUM license or be told you are eligible either way you must resync (next STep) after the dealer runs the process ..
Manufactured after June 2018 I think is the line right now.
-- Software Update Management

Go online with your Radio Manager (Have not done this with CPS 2.0) and Update the Licenses.

Write the new feature code to the subscriber -- DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE in this step.

Update the Firmware -

Status
Not open for further replies.