First bad weather of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

markab

Well it looks like Environment Canada is calling for the possibility of some rather nasty weather this evening and overnight (wet snow, freezing rain) for the Kitchener/Waterloo region. Sounds like it might be a good night to fire up my laptop and scanner to keep an ear on things. It always amazes me how many people think they can drive the same way regardless of the conditions. Especially during the first storm of the winter.

Mark

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Turns out it wasn't that bad. I was driving home in it and kept one eye on the thermometer! You are right - lots of people were driving like it was still July !

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I was surprised how little I heard esp the MTO. The rain/ice line was very close to the escarpment. Burlington MTO covers the provincial highways all the way into Toronto but I heard little OSG ops. Halton/Burlington city/region were salting the rural routes and I heard a few accidents prob due to ice as well as the OPP commenting on how icy the 407 was. When the snow really starts these MTO talkgroups will be active and boring as always. :))

Yes other than road reports and units calling in to the yard to fill up... most of the plows use CB radio. In Muskoka the patrols use cb ch's 2 and 19 and many trucks now have SSB CB's.

markab

Yup

Turns out it wasn't that bad. I was driving home in it and kept one eye on the thermometer! You are right - lots of people were driving like it was still July !

Hi Gator596,
Ya you're right it was more of a non event than anything else. I was surprised however to see 5 cars who spun out on the 401 near Guelph Line due to icy conditions the following morning.

Mark

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

markab said:

Hi Gator596,
Ya you're right it was more of a non event than anything else. I was surprised however to see 5 cars who spun out on the 401 near Guelph Line due to icy conditions the following morning.

Mark

It will get ugly soon and all the crews will be out and about trying to keep the roads clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.