First Energy Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
First Energy, Inc. is in the process of implementing a wide-area Project 25 TRS. They are using the VHF-High band spectrum from 150.0000 to 174.0000 MHz. If anyone can search through the band and let us know if they find any control channels or not? Here are two licenses that are currently pending before the FCC:

License Application 1

License Application 2

I am sure that these license applications will be the first of many more to come.

73s

Ron

jackj

I guess Sprint/Nextel finally got too expensive for them. It's always cheaper to do it yourself vs paying someone else to do it for you.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
First Energy, Inc. is in the process of implementing a wide-area Project 25 TRS. They are using the VHF-High band spectrum from 150.0000 to 174.0000 MHz. If anyone can search through the band and let us know if they find any control channels or not? Here are two licenses that are currently pending before the FCC:

License Application 1

License Application 2

I am sure that these license applications will be the first of many more to come.

73s

Ron

That would be System 89A -- the one I mentioned the other day.

m

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
This trunked system wiill consist of approximately 65 sites spread across Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia and Pennsylvania -- This is Allegheny Power for those of us local to the area.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ah,thanks for that info Mike(I gather mainly the northern part of the state?)

I suppose so. I don't know how far south Allegheny Power extends. I don't know the locations of all of the sites -- only 10 or 11 for which applications have been submitted thus far -- and those are indeed primarily in Northeast West Virginia with a smattering in Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If a person lives in Allegheny Power service area in MD, PA, VA or WV, it'd be fairly easy to see if a P25 site is online.

Simply scan from 150-174 (that's pretty broad) one time -- make note of any unidentified P25 control channels that you run across. There isn't much, if any, P25 Trunked activity on VHF in these four states. Granted, some neighboring states have P25 trunked systems that are active (like NY Gas).

People who don't periodically do a search across the typical VHF/UHF spectrum to check for new things are missing out anyway. 5 minutes of time, once every week or two, and a person might find new stuff that nobody else knows about.

And, of course if anybody finds any new P25 trunked sites (or anything at all while on a search mission), please submit it to the DB.

Mike

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
If a person lives in Allegheny Power service area in MD, PA, VA or WV, it'd be fairly easy to see if a P25 site is online.

Simply scan from 150-174 (that's pretty broad) one time -- make note of any unidentified P25 control channels that you run across. There isn't much, if any, P25 Trunked activity on VHF in these four states. Granted, some neighboring states have P25 trunked systems that are active (like NY Gas).

People who don't periodically do a search across the typical VHF/UHF spectrum to check for new things are missing out anyway. 5 minutes of time, once every week or two, and a person might find new stuff that nobody else knows about.

And, of course if anybody finds any new P25 trunked sites (or anything at all while on a search mission), please submit it to the DB.

Mike

FYI, If you're close to VA (like Berkeley, Hampshire, Morgan), you're gonna run into VA STARS in that range.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Here is a Google map that I'm going to try to keep up to date with sites that we know are part of the system [or suspect they will be].

First Energy: Allegheny Power Trunking System, Varies, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Google Map

A green pin = a site confirmed to be online

A red pin = a site that there is a license or application for but we haven't gotten any confirmation of it being online.

If you are reading this thread and you live in an area near one of the pins and you have a digital scanner that will provide you with system information when sitting on a P25 control channel, please consider taking a moment to scan 150 - 174 mhz to see if there are any active control channels for this trunked system in your area.

This trunked system will report a System ID of 89A and a WACN of 01DB6 .

If you run across a site that isn't already documented in the RR Database, please gather as much information as you can -- Site ID, Site Neighbors (using Pro96Com or Unitrunker) and submit the info in a ticket and/or here in the thread.

Thanks!

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Im getting a control channel of 153.2325.
Tower ID 1195(T01C3)
System ID 89A
WACN 01DB8

Not getting any voice as of yet

I'm guessing you typed that in manually? I ask because the freq should be 152.2325 and the WACN 01DB6.

How strong is the signal for you? Are you using an outside antenna? Are you high up in elevation? Since we still have not pinpointed this site, signal strength and what you are using to receive it can help.

It doesn't surprise me that you haven't heard any voice -- even if that site is in use by the power company currently, there won't be much of anything happening most of the time unless you've got bad weather and downed lines. I don't know about in your neck of the woods, but here in eastern Ohio winter seems to have forgotten about us this year. I'm not complaining, but there hasn't been any bad weather and so there is very little interesting scanner traffic.

Also, did you happen to scan across 150-174 mhz to see if you encountered any other P25 control channels?

Mike

ScanWV

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing you typed that in manually? I ask because the freq should be 152.2325 and the WACN 01DB6.

How strong is the signal for you? Are you using an outside antenna? Are you high up in elevation? Since we still have not pinpointed this site, signal strength and what you are using to receive it can help.

It doesn't surprise me that you haven't heard any voice -- even if that site is in use by the power company currently, there won't be much of anything happening most of the time unless you've got bad weather and downed lines. I don't know about in your neck of the woods, but here in eastern Ohio winter seems to have forgotten about us this year. I'm not complaining, but there hasn't been any bad weather and so there is very little interesting scanner traffic.

Also, did you happen to scan across 150-174 mhz to see if you encountered any other P25 control channels?

Mike

Sorry I did mean to type 152.2325.

The signal is very strong where I live. I have a RS pro 106 with the stock antenna and I can 99% on the control channel inside my house. I do live on a hill but I have mountains to east and west. My guess its coming from the north.
We havent had any bad weather since October and Im not complaining either.

I did scan that freq range and Im not recieving any new control channels. I can recieve Virginia STARS from where I live but other than that nothing else but the 152.2325.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Hmm, maybe it's the Lost City site in Hardy Co. That'd be north of you. To the east, the site option would be Banco VA. To the west the option would be Durbin in Pocahontas Co.

Incidentally, way over hear in Jefferson Co in East Ohio I can pick up the same site your listening to, very weak, when there is enhanced propagation. The site must be one helluva site location.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.