BCD436HP/BCD536HP: First impression of the Proclip Adjustable Mount 848636

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Proclip may have the best solution for mounting the BCD436hp on the dash without marring the finish. There's a link at the bottom, and don't be put off by photo with the pretty green iPod player.

I tried their V clip and the radio simply was not secure, in my opinion. You probably could stuff the clip with some type of filler material or even expoxy, but the plastic itself was not substantial, although none of these plastic mounts should be expected to secure the radio in the event of a collision.

But the Padded Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel is a good fit for the radio -- if it handles the weight once mounted with a Proclip base, which I will do later today.

Yes, it's overpriced for a plastic mount at $39. With a center mount for the car and shipping the total was $78.48. Expensive, but it's a dash mount with no drilling, it's more secure than the vent mounts and it doesn't look cheap. In fact, the plastic is not a bad match for the radio.

I am sure you guys will put it through your usual torture test, but here's my first impression.

It has a square back plate and the 436 has its ergonomic back contoured for the hand, so it doesn't square up perfectly. It has a lip on the arms that slightly wraps around the front of the radio.

It's a little challenging to work the radio in and out of the holder, and it has a limited amount of adjustment (although it's almost impossible to read the screen except at night and we shouldn't be doing that anyway while we're driving).

There is no support on the bottom, but the mount snuggles up against the Func/Menu button on the left side to reduce the chance of it sliding through on rough terrain. The mount does not cover up the USB or GPS ports.

But, overall, I'm tickled with how close it comes and it seems sturdy enough. It would be even better with a slightly contoured back plate, which Proclip should offer but as a swap out. Now let's see how it does with with their dash mount today.

Padded Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel*-*ProClip USA

Last edited:

PhillyPhoto

I actually have a custom one for my car that sits to the side of my dash on the passenger side. Without the belt clip on the 436, it actually fits great into a Motorola mic clip. I don't have to clamp anything down either or have it slide around in the mount, and it saved money on the 2nd part to actually hold it. You can get mic clips for a couple bucks on eBay. ProClip is a bit pricey, but for what I need it for, they're perfect!

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
The new mount seems solid enough to support the radio. Here are a couple of photos to give you an idea of proximity to the driving position.

Attachments

• 20140625_162429-600x800.jpg
    20140625_162429-600x800.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 2,064
  • 20140625_163816.-600x800.jpg
    20140625_163816.-600x800.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 1,467

Gilligan

Database Admin
Looks great! Just an idea, you might try adding two right-angle bnc connectors to lessen the stress on your antenna jack. I don't know if it would really affect the signal in regard to signal loss, but it would definitely put less stress on the connector and would also be a bit more low-profile which would make it less noticeable to would-be thieves. But it looks great in my opinion.

kc2kth

Looks great! Just an idea, you might try adding two right-angle bnc connectors to lessen the stress on your antenna jack. I don't know if it would really affect the signal in regard to signal loss, but it would definitely put less stress on the connector and would also be a bit more low-profile which would make it less noticeable to would-be thieves. But it looks great in my opinion.

A zip tie around the coax and radio would help keep a larger loop of coax at the top and reduce that strain as well. The zip would be snug enough to hold, but loose enough that you would be able to slide it up over the radio when removing the coax from the rig. Another option would be to adapt that coax down to a smaller diameter cable that is lighter and more flexible with only the proper connector on the radio end (no adapters at the radio as they add weight). Both would help preserve the connector on the radio.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, guys. That antenna cable loop is almost as large as the radio. Amateur at work here.

Great suggestions that would also make this less visible for the bad guys out there. That would get everything down to dash level looking in from outside. I'd like to find a right angle SMA connector for it. And there's work to do tidying up and reducing the stress. These wires belong behind the dash, and the power needs be run to the battery. I am getting what sounds like engine noise on weak channels off the radio battery. The antenna cable doesn't give me much length to play with, so maybe it needs to be replaced.

The radio does block the GPS display, but it's not a big deal for me. The mount does not block it with the radio removed. I could be mounted more to the center, but I can read the large type now. I rely on and the dispatchers I recognize and color keys, which need to stay on longer. But I can reach the System, Dept and Channel keys.

If we ever get the Wi-Fi app going, I will probably replace this with my 536 and a Note 4 when it's available this fall. But I'm liking the little guy, so far.

Last edited:

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
I used your suggestion on the two right-angle BNC adapters and tied in a three-foot RG58 cable to reduce the stress and give me a little more length to play with. I put a zip tie around the base of the ProClip mount to support the weight of the cable. There may be some signal loss but it's not noticeable. I'll rewire this through the dash if the 536 Wi-Fi option falls through. I'm hoping we see that soon.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Working with my wiring today and I noticed that I had the mount upside down. Properly installed, the arms have a slot that mates with the rubber grips on the side of the BCD436HP. The slots terminate near the bottom to prevent the radio from sliding down. This allows the radio to slide in and out smoothly. Very convenient, although some may prefer a plastic tie to strengthen the grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.