Status
Not open for further replies.

blinddog50

Get the 60r. You won't regret it.

reedeb,
Two of the best repeaters in the US.
The 145.35 machine in Dallas, NC.
The 2m machine on Mt. Mitchell, NC.
Not many repeaters you hit with 5 watts at 200 miles away.

N0IU

https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=112&idproduct=1792

What do you think of a first radio???

Also, I guess these come with rubber duck antennas. With 50 watts, isn't that enough? Now i have not taken technician yet, but from my understanding you can't use more than 50 watts unless you have it approved...?
No, this radio does not come with a "rubber duckie" or any kind of antenna for that matter. Those types of antennas are used on handheld radios or HT's as we call them.

In addition to an antenna, you will also need to get a power supply to use the radio (unless you are going to use it in a vehicle). These radios need 13.8 volts DC and you will need something to convert your house current (120 volts AC) down to that voltage.

As a Technician, you can run your VHF/UHF radio at 200 watts if you want to!

Last edited:

JimNS3K

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the Yaesu FT 8800. It has dual band display. Great radio. You might also want to look at the ICOM line of D-star capable transceivers.

Jim, NS3K

sfgiantsradio

Hello to all, it's been a while!

Good news! Just yesterday I picked up an Ft-60R!!! I also bought an MFJ mag mount with it.

As a 'dream' rig, I would love to have the 897D.

Anyways, that doesn't mean I have my ticket yet (you can trust me to not get too excited an key up w/out a license), I will be taking my test 1 week from today, so the radio should be already to go. So we'll see.

Thanks and 73

eastrocks400

No, this radio does not come with a "rubber duckie" or any kind of antenna for that matter. Those types of antennas are used on handheld radios or HT's as we call them.

In addition to an antenna, you will also need to get a power supply to use the radio (unless you are going to use it in a vehicle). These radios need 13.8 volts DC and you will need something to convert your house current (120 volts AC) down to that voltage.

As a Technician, you can run your VHF/UHF radio at 200 watts if you want to!

Well a car is 12volts... So do these radios work on 12v dc???

Also, i am not sure what you mean about the maximum wattage. IT says in the manual that above 30hz, you can not use more than 50 watts PEP at the antenna. Please explain what that means!!

thanks, 73.

RadioDaze

Well a car is 12volts... So do these radios work on 12v dc???.

Yes, or more appropriately, 13.8 volts as scott points out. But you also have to understand that they pull a lot of CURRENT, so, for base use, you need a power supply that has a sufficient AMPERAGE rating. Good ones can be a little costly. The radio doesn't pull as much current when it's only receiving, not transmitting, but you will want a power supply that suits your needs AFTER you get your license and are able to transmit. And you will need to know that, if you place the radio in a car, you can't use a cigarette lighter plug since it won't handle enough current. You will probably need a wire going straight to the battery (generally speaking.)

Also, i am not sure what you mean about the maximum wattage. IT says in the manual that above 30hz, you can not use more than 50 watts PEP at the antenna. Please explain what that means!!

Scott is correct; it's actually on the 30 METER band (10.100-10.150 MHz) that the output is restricted to 200 watts as measured at a dipole antenna. But the Technician isn't allowed to operate there anyway.

Skyler, we're all rooting for you to get your license, and we'll all jump in to help you with your questions when we can. But you might want to wait a little while before you commit to a radio purchase until you have absorbed some more of the technical information. That way you will have a better idea about what kind of radio will serve your needs best. We always lose a little money when we buy a radio, then have to sell it off and buy another because it didn't do exactly what we needed it to do.

eastrocks400

Yes, or more appropriately, 13.8 volts as scott points out. But you also have to understand that they pull a lot of CURRENT, so, for base use, you need a power supply that has a sufficient AMPERAGE rating. Good ones can be a little costly. The radio doesn't pull as much current when it's only receiving, not transmitting, but you will want a power supply that suits your needs AFTER you get your license and are able to transmit. And you will need to know that, if you place the radio in a car, you can't use a cigarette lighter plug since it won't handle enough current. You will probably need a wire going straight to the battery (generally speaking.)

Scott is correct; it's actually on the 30 METER band (10.100-10.150 MHz) that the output is restricted to 200 watts as measured at a dipole antenna. But the Technician isn't allowed to operate there anyway.

Skyler, we're all rooting for you to get your license, and we'll all jump in to help you with your questions when we can. But you might want to wait a little while before you commit to a radio purchase until you have absorbed some more of the technical information. That way you will have a better idea about what kind of radio will serve your needs best. We always lose a little money when we buy a radio, then have to sell it off and buy another because it didn't do exactly what we needed it to do.

Thanks for the information. I am definitely not out to buy a radio just yet... waiting for February 28 to take the test.

N0IU

I am unclear on what you are asking. Which manual are you talking about?

Are you sure you're not referring to this:
§97.307 Emission standards.
(d) For transmissions installed on or before January 1, 2003, the mean power of any spurious emission from a station transmitter or external RF power amplifier transmitting on a frequency below 30 MHz must not exceed 50 mW and must be at least 40 dB below the mean power of the fundamental emission

There are also certain areas of the country where your power output is limited to 50 watts as outlined in §97.313 Transmitter power standards.

I think you may have things confused just a little. As a Technician, you can not use more than 200 watts on any frequency,

§97.313 Transmitter power standards.

(a) An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.

(b) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 1.5 kW PEP.

(c) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 200 W PEP:

(1) On the 10.10-10.15 MHz segment; or
(2) When the control operator is a Novice Class operator or a Technician Class operator.

eastrocks400

That isn't what i was looking at. I was reading a study guide at kb6nu.com. One part stated that above 30mhz, you can not use more than 50 watts PEP at the antenna.

N0IU

Ahhhh... I found it!

The part you are reading says, "50 watts PEP at the antenna is the maximum power level that an amateur radio station may use at frequencies above 30 MHz before an RF exposure evaluation is required."

Its not the easiest stuff to read, but here is more information about performing an RF exposure evaluation at ARRLWeb: Station RF-Exposure Evaluation

Essentially what they are saying is that exposure to high levels of RF energy might cause damage to human organs (your brain being one of them!) and if you are going to run more than 50 watts, you are supposed to take precautions to avoid direct exposure as much as possible.

So basically, run 50 watts (or less) and don't worry about it!

Last edited:

eastrocks400

Well, i was not planning on doing more than 50, put was just making sure.

If i wanted to to go higher, it says all i would have to do is fill out form 610. Do you know where i could get that if need be?

N0IU

When you apply your license, one of the things you are certifying on Form 605 is:
"I have read and WILL COMPLY with Section 97.13(c) of the Commission’s Rules regarding RADIOFREQUENCY (RF) RADIATION SAFETY and the amateur service section of OST/OET Bulletin Number 65."

I don't know where you are getting your information, but Form 610 was replaced by Form 605 many years ago.

Last edited:

N0IU

Part II -

The bottom line is that if you are going to exceed the 50 watt limitation, you have to make sure that your antenna(s) are oriented in such a way to minimize the RF exposure to those people around it.

As I am sure you will learn in your studies, signals in the VHF range and above are line of sight. This means that the signals go straight out from the antenna as opposed to go up towards the ionosphere. What this means to you is that the most effective way to get your signal out as far as possible is to get your antenna as high up as possible. This is why TV and radio stations have towers hundreds of feet tall.

There is a certain point at which increasing your power will not do you any good as far as getting your signal out further. The best way for you to spend your money is to invest in a good antenna system and not worry about an amplifier until or unless you have an antenna system (which means one as high in the air as possible) that can take the best advantage of the increased power.

Clear as mud, eh?

Last edited:

RadioDaze

I think you may have things confused just a little. As a Technician, you can not use more than 200 watts on any frequency,

I didn't realize he was referring to "50 watts PEP at the antenna is the maximum power level that an amateur radio station may use at frequencies above 30 MHz before an RF exposure evaluation is required."

I simply thought he might have meters and MHz confused. Good catch. By digging deeper, your helping much more than I.

ki4rvh

Have you ever heard of anybody failing the Tech exam?

Yes people fail the tech exam. Usually because they don't study and think they can just wing it. But if you study its very easy. Study and take the practice tests until you are making good grades and you will do fine. Good Luck!

eastrocks400

I have consistently been getting 90 or above on QRZ.com tests after just 2 days of studying. I do not understand a few things and could not find any further information::

1) In the study guide i was reading, it said that a repeater must have a control operator and identify itself. How could it identify itself if it is being operated automatically? Or better--what is automatic operation?

2) It also that that you can call the repeater.... What would the point be of calling the call sign of the repeater?

3) How do you get licensed to you use satellite frequencies, is the equipment expensive, and have any of you ever came in contact with an astronaut???

4) I have learned about different digital modes. I do not understand what it means when they say "digital"... i understand it is non voice, so is it all in text? I know CW is morse code, but what about PSK31, etc.

Thanks a lot
Skyler.

Last edited:

N0IU

1) In the study guide i was reading, it said that a repeater must have a control operator and identify itself. How could it identify itself if it is being operated automatically? Or better--what is automatic operation?
Every amateur radio station must have a control operator or person who is responsible for the proper operation of the station. Furthermore, every amateur radio station must identify itself every 10 minutes. These things are true for individual operators as well as repeaters. Almost all repeaters fall into the category of automatic control meaning that the control operator is not physically sitting in front of the radios. All repeaters have some sort of controller that handles the system and one of the functions is to automatically transmit the callsign of the repeater, in Morse code or by a pre-recorded voice or computer generated voice.

2) It also that that you can call the repeater.... What would the point be of calling the call sign of the repeater?
Is this the part you are talking about?

"Because repeaters generally provide very reliable communications, it's not necessary to use
the procedural signal "CQ." Instead, you need to only say your call sign to indicate that you
are listening for calls on a repeater. When calling another station on a repeater--a station
whose call sign you know--first say the station's call sign then identify your own station."

What it means is that if you want to talk to a specific person who might be listening to the repeater, you would say that person's callsign, NOT the repeater's callsign, and then your own callsign. I can see where you might be confused by the way it is worded in the study guide.

3) How do you get licensed to you use satellite frequencies, is the equipment expensive, and have any of you ever came in contact with an astronaut???
This is a 2-part question. First of all, there are no special satellite frequencies. Any amateur frequency can be used for satellite communications. The equipment, however, can be expensive because you generally need a lot of power pointed in a specific direction. You also need to be able to move your antennas in two directions called the azimuth (left and right) and elevation (up and down).

As far as talking to astronauts, this is done all the time. The ISS or International Space Station has amateur radio gear on board and many astronauts are licensed. Most contacts are with schools, but it is not unheard of for individuals to contact the ISS using ordinary mobile rigs or even an HT!

4) I have learned about different digital modes. I do not understand what it means when they say "digital"... i understand it is non voice, so is it all in text? I know CW is morse code, but what about PSK31, etc.
Modes like PSK31 and RTTY are digital modes and are all text. Two other popular modes are ATV or amateur TV and SSTV or slow-scan TV. ATV is real-time video (and audio) using UHF frequencies. As a Technician, you can set up your station for ATV. SSTV is generally an HF mode where operators send a single picture to each other.

These are really short answers to your questions. A lot of this information can be found by Google'ing (and now I guess I should say BING'ing) some of these terms. There is a lot of information out there about all these different modes!

So are you more confused now or did this answer any of your questions???

Last edited:

eastrocks400

I am only confused over two things... everything else has been of great help!!

"What it means is that if you want to talk to a specific person who might be listening to the repeater, you would say that person's callsign, NOT the repeater's callsign, and then your own callsign. I can see where you might be confused by the way it is worded in the study guide."

first off, why WOULD you call the repeater's call sign at all?? After all, you are not contacting the repeater itself, but a person using that repeater as well.

And... using all of these digital modes, do you have to be connected to computer? For example, with SSTV, how would you view the picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.