First Responder Network Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfburns

Has anyone heard if anyone from Colorado has been nominated/appointed to the First Responder Network Authority?

If the First Responder Network Authority is an authority that you are not familar with, then go here (62 pages): http://www.gao.gov/assets/590/588795.pdf

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
I doubt anyone will.
This new initiative was just voted in last week by congress as part of the latest version of the payroll tax "cut." It's going to be administered by the NTIA. I'd be surprised if they do anything substantial with it in the next 4-5 years.

rfburns

Isn't Adams Co moving forward with the system without DIA? If I remember right the legislation says everyone must move to the system in ten years. We all know what the chance of that happening is. The system is still not capable of voice as far as I know.

I believe the final vote on the legislation is Friday. At least that is what yesterday's newpaper article said.

kc0kp

Isn't Adams Co moving forward with the system without DIA? If I remember right the legislation says everyone must move to the system in ten years. We all know what the chance of that happening is. The system is still not capable of voice as far as I know.

I believe the final vote on the legislation is Friday. At least that is what yesterday's newpaper article said.
Voice if ever implemented will probably be a form of VOIP. Because latency will be even worse than P25, IMHO it will not be a mission critical component (PTT, Group Call, etc.) It is not even part of the LTE specification at this time (see table 3 of the phone book you posted). Besides, we already have mission critical voice. We need broadband data more than anything else. Magic Jacks will give us all the voice that we would need.
Governance here was set up under UASI North Central region but that was before the allocation to public safety was a done deal.
NPSTC and IAFC web sites have more information.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If I remember right the legislation says everyone must move to the system in ten years.

There is no such requirement in the legislation (which was signed by the President already). The only requirement related to moving is that the UHF T-Band public safety users (470-512) must vacate in 9 to 11 years. But even for those users, the law does not require them to move to broadband.

ecps92

Correct and there is plenty of room in VHF lowband :twisted:

There is no such requirement in the legislation (which was signed by the President already). The only requirement related to moving is that the UHF T-Band public safety users (470-512) must vacate in 9 to 11 years. But even for those users, the law does not require them to move to broadband.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't matter if the Messiah signed it. The money goes to NTIA, and you shouldn't expect them to include anyone in their "commission" besides political insiders and other feds. This is a government that wants to tell us how to do our jobs, and they aren't really interested in what we've got to say. It'll be years before any federal initiative like this shows results... and that's only after a couple more infusions of billions.

Status
Not open for further replies.