• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

First responders want more spectrum for safety network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandxer

logo.jpg

First responders want more spectrum for safety network

Published 22 January 2010

First responders want more spectrum for safety network | Homeland Security News Wire

A 10-MHz swath of spectrum in the 700 MHz band freed up by last year’s switch to digital TV broadcasting already has been set aside for the nationwide network for first responders; public safety officials, though, said the additional bandwidth is necessary to create a robust, high-speed network capable of handling multiple kinds of data, as well as video and voice traffic

Last edited by a moderator:

NorCalrescue

Premium Subscriber
I have heard a lot about this 700MHz Public Safety band. Some of what I have read indicates in the future there will be a push for first responders to have 700MHz capability for Nationwide interoperability. Anyone else have any info on this? Time frame? End-user equipment?

NorCalrescue

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Dave. Good info. Crazy times. I'm trying to prepare our fire department for the next 5+ years of radio communications equipment and it is difficult to predict where things are going since technology is traveling at a rate never seen before. P25, dual-band, 700/800MHz, etc.

N

N_Jay

If you want a 5 year plan that means anything to 3 to 5 years you need to talk to a good consultant, or risk having the vendors sell you on their vision. (Which may not be wrong, but may not be right for your agency either)

DPD1

I'll be very surprised if that happens. That would be an astronomical cost, and honestly... I'm not sure I really get it. At what point would you have a scenario where any one person in the nation needs to talk/pass info, to any one other person in the nation? As far as passing data... Isn't that what the internet and phone is for? Data which would be coming from a centralized source, then passed to other centralized sources. All data has to first be disseminated by the higher people in the command structure anyway. Otherwise you have chaos. I guess it would be nice to have in a perfect world, but everything is kind of broke right now.

N

N_Jay

Most of these articles don't do a good job describing the connectivity that is desired nor what is proposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.