First scanner purchase need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

amxfan

Hello all.

I have not had listened to a scanner since I was much younger, watching the lights go across my mom and dad's Bearcat scanner that took plug in crystals. Today I'm married with kids of my own and after a situation in my area with the police hunting down a man did I really miss having a scanner. I did download the app for my Droid but it just does not pick up everything I want. Like everyone I want it to pick up everything, but I do realize that none will. Needless to say when I read about double conversion, triple conversion, trunking, tracking, etc., I'm lost. So in my lack of knowledge I think it is just better if I tell you what I would like to pick up and let you recommend a scanner to me. So here is what I would like it to pick up: Police, Fire, Marine, Aircraft, UHF 225 - 400MHz, land mobile bands, HAM, Railroad. I do not care about weather, T.V, Nascar or cell phone reception.

I have found people selling scanners that have been modified, or tweaked, that claim to pick up all military bands and some cell phone. Should I stray away from any of these listings?

Looking for any recommendations. Thank you in advance.

mciupa

Hi amxfan, welcome to RadioReference :)

I would suggest looking at the database for your home area first.

Do you see trunked radio systems listed?
This will require you to buy a Trunktracking scanner.

There are also different modes used in trunking , analog (A) and digital (D).
If you see D in the mode listings then this will require you to look at buying a digital trunktracker.

Let us know your location and then some model selections can be suggested. :)

amxfan

Thanks for the reply.

If I'm looking in the right area there are 3 trunked systems. All 3 are ltr standard.
Henry County, Tennessee (TN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I did not state this before and I think I should have. I also want this scanner for a "grab bag". For everyone who does not know what a grab bag is it is a bag full of necessities and is the first thing you grab if case of a disaster or an emergency. So I'm looking for a scanner that can pick up as much as possible in all areas due to I'm not sure where I might be or wind up in all goes south. "Never know what the Tea Party might stir up".

From reading other posts on this forum I'm looking strongly at the PSR-500, but again not sure.

mciupa

A PSR 300 or BC346XT may also be a good choice to consider if you want something economical.

The PSR 500 will do more than you need down there (and is pricey), but of course it is at your discretion which is the suitable model for you.

N8IAA

Thanks for the reply.

If I'm looking in the right area there are 3 trunked systems. All 3 are ltr standard.
Henry County, Tennessee (TN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I did not state this before and I think I should have. I also want this scanner for a "grab bag". For everyone who does not know what a grab bag is it is a bag full of necessities and is the first thing you grab if case of a disaster or an emergency. So I'm looking for a scanner that can pick up as much as possible in all areas due to I'm not sure where I might be or wind up in all goes south. "Never know what the Tea Party might stir up".

From reading other posts on this forum I'm looking strongly at the PSR-500, but again not sure.

At this time, you need nothing more than an analog scanner. The LTR systems are private and not related to public safety in your area of Tennessee. Your county is conventional analog and non-trunking. One of the better scanners is the new GRE PSR-310. Very similar in makeup as the 500, (which does do digital, P-25). It will do ham, skywarn, your pd/fd, milair and a whole bunch more. You will want software to program the radio, since your last scanning experience was with crystal scanners:D Just my suggestion. Don't overdo and get lost in trying to understand something you don't need.
HTH,
Larry

amxfan

The PSR-310 is a straight analog scanner. I understand right now that that is all I need, but looking down the road if my county changes to digital or I travel to an area that uses digital, I'm not sure if that is the way to go. The PSR-300 I found on Ebay for $215 buy it now and it comes with the program cable. I like the $200 price difference in it and the PSR-500, is it a good deal since it has been discontinued?
As far as your last statement, I do think I'm getting caught up in things and I'm looking at items I will never need, but not knowing what I'm going to need it is hard not to.

I only plan on buying one, just one, and want it to last the next 30 years, so I have to buy one that will work with tomorrow's technology. I want it for local emergency scanning: "fire police etc" but it will also go with me when I travel. I also want it for a worse case scenario / survival instance. What one would you buy?

The PSR-500 "Ebay $419 BIN"
The PSR-300 "Ebay $215 BIN w/ program cable"

BC346XT does not appear to scan the UHF 200 - 400 range.
PSR-310 is analog only.

N8IAA

The PSR-310 is a straight analog scanner. I understand right now that that is all I need, but looking down the road if my county changes to digital or I travel to an area that uses digital, I'm not sure if that is the way to go. The PSR-300 I found on Ebay for $215 buy it now and it comes with the program cable. I like the $200 price difference in it and the PSR-500, is it a good deal since it has been discontinued?
As far as your last statement, I do think I'm getting caught up in things and I'm looking at items I will never need, but not knowing what I'm going to need it is hard not to.

I only plan on buying one, just one, and want it to last the next 30 years, so I have to buy one that will work with tomorrow's technology. I want it for local emergency scanning: "fire police etc" but it will also go with me when I travel. I also want it for a worse case scenario / survival instance. What one would you buy?

The PSR-500 "Ebay $419 BIN"
The PSR-300 "Ebay $215 BIN w/ program cable"

BC346XT does not appear to scan the UHF 200 - 400 range.
PSR-310 is analog only.

Good Grief!!! The Radio Shack equivilant of the PSR500/600 is selling for $299. Why would you buy from Ebay?? The 163 and 164, if any are left, are the RS equivilant of the 300/400 and sold on black friday for $99. I believe they are still on sale too. There is no scanner now being manufactured and sold that will be relevant in 30 years from now. Period. I am on my second generation of digital scanners, with possibly new coming out next year. I'm happy if what I have now will last me the next 3-5 years. My handheld is already 2 years old and is still one of the newest digitals out there. This is a hobby that is controlled by the manufacturers, not the public. As long as we are willing to pay a lot of money for average radios, nothing new will come out. So, the decision is yours.....get a digital that will do analog and present day Phase I P-25. Or, wait until your state, county, and city decide to go to Phase II P-25, Mototrbo, or something else that the manufacturers have no scanner to monitor public service. I personally would choose the digital, for the fact you can do so much more with it.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.