First Student Ottawa

Tim_Mcgee

I am trying to program in First Student in the Ottawa Area and I notice that 2 have DPL tones and the Mode Is FMN. I’m not sure what system it would be and I can’t see FMN when I try it as conventional.
Is there away I can program the two frequencies in different Mode there AUTO AM NFM FM WFM FBM I’m willing to try one of those modes or different system.
The freq's are 165.810 and166.545 Also I see there is a Freq that has PL 173.490
Would that be for a Conventional system? It has the same Mode FMN. I am trying to see what freq I can program that would be FM.
My area is Kanata Lakes.

ChuckWillis55

Hi Tim, Welcome to the forum.
The frequencies you are trying to program are all conventional. FMN is the same as NFM. The AUTO mode should work for you too.
Just enter the frequencies as conventional with the appropriate (DPL or PL) tones, and you should be good to go. Remember to label them correctly as well (ie. FS CD Ch. 1).

Tim_Mcgee

Thank you. I am doing the first freq first, so what I did was I went in Conventional then went in to new group. I put in the first channel then should I go to CTCSS and find 315. Then I will call it First Student Cumberland Division ch 1.
I am pretty new at this so I’m just want to make sure I do it right as I really enjoy school buses and want to hear them :)

While I look thru CTCSS I don’t see 315 so would it be digital RAN 315 ?

ecps92

Thank you. I am doing the first freq first, so what I did was I went in Conventional then went in to new group. I put in the first channel then should I go to CTCSS and find 315. Then I will call it First Student Cumberland Division ch 1.
I am pretty new at this so I’m just want to make sure I do it right as I really enjoy school buses and want to hear them :)

While I look thru CTCSS I don’t see 315 so would it be digital RAN 315 ?
315 is likely DCS 315 aka DPL

Tim_Mcgee

Thank you. Yes, that is the right one. For the freq 165.435 I see BM, but no tone. I'm not sure how I could find the tone. If you happen to know it, that would be great!

ecps92

Thank you yes that is the right one but I for the Freq 165.435 I see BM but no tone I not sure how I could find the tone if you happen to know it that would be great!
most of the newer scanners will "auto" detect the codes, sit on the freq for a day or two see what reports using "auto"

mciupa

Database Admin
If you do see a tone come up, it will blink rapidly. To save it into your 325, push the E button. It will ask if you want to save the tone.
Be sure to let us know if there is one so I can add it to the database.

Tim_Mcgee

If you do see a tone come up, it will blink rapidly. To save it into your 325, push the E button. It will ask if you want to save the tone.
Thank you. I'm going have to wait until tomorrow as I think it too late to hear now. I’m worried I didn’t do it right as I'm not sure what time the buses head back to parking. I think I will have to do it again. When I click HOLD and go to the channels it says so 8 and gr 4. I did put it as 8 and 4 so maybe it mean it will work, but I’m not sure.
I will keep a eye out for that tone but might end up doing it all over again

Tim_Mcgee

Yeah I think I have to do it again I am not hearing them on the Ch on any freq.
Also, is there any other buses companies I can program just In case? When I do FS again I can’t get that to work.

Not to get too technical, but "BM" stands for Base/Mobiles, and it means that you should hear both the dispatcher and buses on the same channel

I will let you know if it works when I do it again I don’t know why I can’t hear it I’m hoping someone know any other company I can try ?
I feel disappointed I can’t get the FS to work I don’t know what else to do other then try other companies if anyone knows any?
It’s been quiet all morning I don’t know why? I am close by in Kanata, so I should here something.

Hello @mciupa I’m hoping you can provide me with some help as to why my scanner can’t pick up the FS channels.
I programmed them in with the tones last night, then I turned it on this morning and didn’t hear anything. I got worried as I know buses are out during their runs.
I really enjoyed buses and I been wanting to program FS but I’m not having much luck. I’m really new at this but if I knew why then I would try again and also I would like to have other companies freq