First SWL attempt for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hc18flyer

Yesterday I put up a 54' non-resonant L- shaped wire, about 20' up, feed thru a 9:1 Unum, and wrapped coax choke. Listening about 6pm Central time. Heard several Hispanic music stations, 6115, 7315,7490, 9395 WRMI, 5085 WTWW was weak but audible. I also listened to a talk show with Guy, and Gal Kate? @7730?
5085 had a show about amateur radio? Will listen again later tonight, Tom

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What radio do you have? You have a very decent start. What would you like to hear? Mike

hc18flyer

What radio do you have? You have a very decent start. What would you like to hear? Mike
I have an Eton Grundig Field I bought several years ago, never tried the SW tuner, I plugged my ant into the 500 ohm clips on the back.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What would you like to hear? This radio has no BFO, so listening to hams, some pirates and utilities that use sideband is not possible with this radio.

2 of the best email reflectors for up to date tips would be the World of Radio and DX Listening Digest. They often parallel one another.

Mike

hc18flyer

I have to listen to my brother's 'Stuff' all the time, still pretty sceptical! I did hear a 'fire, brimstone, and damnation' religious program on 2 separate freqs. Too tired to listen tonight. Tom

hc18flyer

What would you like to hear? This radio has no BFO, so listening to hams, some pirates and utilities that use sideband is not possible with this radio.

2 of the best email reflectors for up to date tips would be the World of Radio and DX Listening Digest. They often parallel one another.

Mike

Thanks Mike,
I am curious what is out there to hear. I am anxious to listen to the music shows on WRMI. I will check out the group's you mentioned. I may have to consider a different radio? I have torids coming for a 10,20,40, and possibly 80 meter EFHW antenna. I have to run my coax into the house and bond my 3 ground rods. Tom

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest looking on Youtube for a channel called "OfficialSWLChannel." Gilles is a wonderful guy and he has tons of videos that can likely address all of your questions. He also does a Youtube show on Wednesday nights at 7:00PM EST and another on Friday afternoons at 4:00PM EST. I think you will learn a lot about how to identify what you are listening to, who is on where and when, antennas, radios, etc. 5.085 and that is WTWW out of Nashville. They play a lot of oldies and on Tuesday nights they have the ham radio show you found. WRMI is another station that plays a lot of music as well.

hc18flyer

N9JCQ- THANK YOU! I will check that out tonight. I wasn't able to understand WTWW the other night, I will try again. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.