First time listening to Air Traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneg

So today was my first time actually sitting and listening to air traffic around me. To my suprise there was ALOT. Mainly on 133.475 heard United airlines, and others. Mainly heard US Airways Flight 735 which at the time was directly over me talking to someone, going from Philly to KLAX.

Heard alot of other chatter on the following.

Heard Southwest,Jet Blue, United, and US airways.

Just a quick question though, how can I figure out where these channels are coming from? like 133.475 I could hear tower (or whoever) and airline clearly.

I'm in Lancaster County PA if that matters.

dparana

Beware! I turned on my PRO-60 and was listening to the aircraft bands and, just before I turned it off, heard a STEEL 71 checking in to Cleveland Center. I learned that this was a tanker out of Pittsburgh. Doing a little more research I discovered that there were some aerial refueling tracks in my area, the DUKE MOA (military operating area), and that a lot of military planes used different freqs to talk to Cleveland Center. Now, about three years and about $2,500 to $3,000 later (spent on more scanners, outdoor antennas and a mast, lightning protection, better coax, notch filters, etc.), I am addicted.

You Have Been Warned! :)

daneg

dparana said:
Beware! I turned on my PRO-60 and was listening to the aircraft bands and, just before I turned it off, heard a STEEL 71 checking in to Cleveland Center. I learned that this was a tanker out of Pittsburgh. Doing a little more research I discovered that there were some aerial refueling tracks in my area, the DUKE MOA (military operating area), and that a lot of military planes used different freqs to talk to Cleveland Center. Now, about three years and about $2,500 to $3,000 later (spent on more scanners, outdoor antennas and a mast, lightning protection, better coax, notch filters, etc.), I am addicted.

You Have Been Warned! :)

Haha nice. Yeah a flight was going to Orlando, I kind of wish I was on it right about now lol.

Helo-Pilot

http://skyvector.com/

Try this one. This one will also give you the airport weather. Once you learn to read a METAR, you'll be able to tell what type (and how much) of traffic you will or will not be hearing.

daneg

Thanks for the links guys. There is only one small airport near me (lancaster airport) and nothing much interesting from them just small planes mostly. I am going to look on that airnav site for Philly's incoming and outgoing freqs. Actually, since I am not far off from Philly's flight path for planes going to them, would I hear airplanes talking to them? or do they start to talk to them about landing closer to the time? I found them on Airnav, http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPHL but not sure what I need exactly.

Last edited:

Firetxmi

Your going to hear a lot, and be surprised as to how far you can hear them. Here is why: The plane is lets say 35000' in the air, thats one heck of an "antenna tower" height. You can possibly (with the right scanner and proper antenna) hear planes up to 200 miles or more away from you. Its pretty cool (at least to me) to think of that, let alone hear it.

PHL_Approach

daneg said:
Thanks for the links guys. There is only one small airport near me (lancaster airport) and nothing much interesting from them just small planes mostly. I am going to look on that airnav site for Philly's incoming and outgoing freqs. Actually, since I am not far off from Philly's flight path for planes going to them, would I hear airplanes talking to them? or do they start to talk to them about landing closer to the time? I found them on Airnav, http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPHL but not sure what I need exactly.

They'll start talking to Philly about 10 miles east of Lancaster. You'll want to listen to North Arrival 128.4. Late at night when positions are combined the aircraft tend to get sent to the North Departure freq 124.35 for anything on the North side.

Status
Not open for further replies.