First time scanner buyer. Now Im lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donte

Hello everyone, first time poster here. I guess I should give you guys the 411 on me and why I’m here.

I was looking at apps on my iphone and saw “Police Scanner” and thought what the hell it only 99 cents, so I bought it. I saw it had my area “North San Diego Sheriff” listed and started listening to it. Little did I know how much I would like it. I started listening every night. It was cool knowing why the police helicopter was flying around my city. Even my wife liked knowing what was going on.

Then one night I heard the helicopter in the area and went and grabbed my iphone. Turned on Police Scanner and BAM!!!!! No more feed for Northern San Diego Sheriff. Man that was a bummer. I felt left out.

The next day I searched Craig’s list for Police scanner and found a Pro-164 for sell. It was 90 bucks and though, I need it, I miss listening to the police. So I bought.

Wow little did I know how hard this thing is to use. I’m so lost. So that brings me here. I was hoping someone close to Vista, Carlsbad, Oceanside, Escondido or San Marcos could help me out.

If you have time to give me a hands on demo on how this thing works that would be great. Or even program it for me. You can contact me at donte-1@att.net I will throw in a free lunch too.

Thanks in advance and I hope to be hearing from someone soon.

-Donte

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
Donte,
San Diego Sheriff and most other law enforcement on the RCS transmit digital. I don't believe a Pro-164 receives digital transmissions.

Donte

Yeah I was doing some research and it looks like the scanner I have wont work. Looks like I would have to drop a lot of money to go digital too. Man that sucks. Well Looks like I need to get rid of this one now. Man I just got it too.

What I really wanted to hear was Vista Sheriff, Oceanside, and Carlsbad. I think they might all be digital.

Donte

Does anyone know if Vista Sheriff, Oceanside, and Carlsbad are digital. I'm almost positive that Carlsbad is digital.

Looks like it's time to keep an eye out for a good used digital. No way can I spend afford $500.

Donte

Well I guess its official. My scanner is useless for me. Maybe next time I will do something smart and do a little research next time. Anyone want to buy my pro-164 for $90.

Mike_G_D

Scanning SD county

Donte,

Don't get too discouraged. You may want to investigate what you can listen to on your scanner before you sell it.

Despite the fact that all of the county law enforcement (with the exception of UC San Marcos PD) primary channels are digital most of the fire traffic is still analog as well as many mutual aid channels. In fact, whenever a major incident involving more than one agency occurs, traffic is often patched to one of the many analog mutual aid talk groups in which case your scanner could demodulate that just fine. There are also many other services that are still analog that you may find interesting. Take a look at the database listing here: San Diego, County of (RCS - Public Safety) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies. Anything with "A" in the "Mode" column is analog and should be receivable on your scanner.

I have an old Win97 file which you can start with if you like. I haven't updated it for over a year but at least it gives you something to start with. Go to Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners and download Win97. It is free for 30 days. It will work with your scanner and can allow you to look at and upload to your scanner my file.

Since you bought that scanner you may as well use it! As I stated earlier, many services are still analog. CHP is still analog in north county on low band as well as CDF (CalFire) which is VERY interesting to listen to during heavy fire season. Additionally, see this thread concerning the news stringers: http://forums.radioreference.com/gr.../169161-riverside-county-gmrs-462-650mhz.html. These are also perfectly listenable on your scanner and can provide a wealth of information concerning major events occurring throughout San Diego and Riverside counties.

Also, don't forget that this site includes scanner audio feeds for SD county which may include the areas you are interested in.

Also, most of the City of San Diego PD traffic is still analog so if you are within range of that system you can listen to them. The system is in the database here: San Diego, City of (Public Safety) Trunking System, San Diego, California - Scanner Frequencies.

In addition, Riverside county to the north of us is still all analog and you may be able to pick them up - they are VERY active and can provide much in the way of interesting monitoring. The Orange county system fire talk groups are also analog however their law enforcement is mostly digital and encrypted. Be glad you don't live in that county because NO scanner can demodulate and decode the encrypted traffic!

At least, I would treat the radio as a good learning tool to familiarize yourself with trunking systems and radio systems in general so that you are better informed and prepared for when you are finally ready to purchase a digital capable scanner. I really wouldn't give up on it just yet! When my old Pro96 died some years ago I didn't have the funds to replace or repair it and so instead used a Pro97 (older version of what you have) for quite some time before I was able to get a new digital PSR-500.

Personally, I'd give it a go anyway and play around with your scanner before giving up. At least play around with it before you find a buyer.

-Mike

Attachments

• Win97_files_SDCountyNorth.zip
    142.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Donte

Yeah, I was going to keep it, but Police scanner must have updated their channels, because I now get Vista Sheriff/Fire again. What I really want to hear is Carlsbad and Oceanside and my iphone can’t get that.

Mike thanks for all the info though, it was a really helpful post. I think I’m still going to sell my pro-164 and put that toward a digital scanner. So if anyone is local you can have for $90.

If I can't sell it, then I will install your file. I just need to go get that damn cable and its 30 bucks :(

Mike_G_D

Well, I was going to suggest taking it back to Radio Shack if it's under the 30 day limit but I see you bought it off Craig's List so that doesn't apply. Oh well...

As far as a digital scanner goes - keep your eye open for the old Pro96 handheld or 2096 mobile/base RS scanner as they often can be bought for around $300 and maybe less. Just make sure it's in good shape and the seller is reliable - you know the drill, I'm sure. The same applies to the older Unidens like the 396T handheld or the 996T mobile. Now that they came out with newer replacements I imagine many folks might be selling their older gear. Any of these units will work fine on the San Diego RCS. You might try the classifieds on this site. Also, be sure and check out Scan Diego - they also have a buy/sell forum and have alot of good local scanner info.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

-Mike

Donte

Mike maybe when you have some free time, I can drop it off with you so you can upload that file for me, if you don't mind. I don't want to go out and buy that 30 dollar cord until I know I'm really going to buy the digital scanner.

Let me know, I work right off Faraday andf El Caminio and live in Vista.

Thanks,
Donte

Mike_G_D

Donte,

Send me a PM with a convenient e-mail address for me to use to contact you and we'll see what we can do. I should really try and spend some time updating that file for you anyway.

BTW - just so you know, that cable will work with other GRE-made Radio Shack scanners as well as the GRE current line itself. Therefore, you could make use of it down the road even if you don't keep the scanner (well for the RS models - the GRE units come with the cable anyway).

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.