First time scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcPeezy

This is the first time I have been interested in scanning I have been deciding on what scanners to get I have been looking at Uniden handhelds. I live in Washington State, Pierce county, Tacoma area and I want a scanner that I can listen to emergency channels and more, well thanks for reading any help is appreciated.

N8IAA

This is the first time I have been interested in scanning I have been deciding on what scanners to get I have been looking at Uniden handhelds. I live in Washington State, Pierce county, Tacoma area and I want a scanner that I can listen to emergency channels and more, well thanks for reading any help is appreciated.

Since you are looking at Uniden ht's, I'm going to suggest the 396XT. It gives you more versatility than the 346XT that I'll bet was the other scanner. Your county isn't P-25 dgitial, but has moved to an analog/digital system. With www.freescan you can import and load the scanner up in now time at all. Importing from Radio Reference does require a minimum premium subscription.
HTH,
Larry

EcPeezy

Hey thanks I don't know if I can afford something that much I was looking at the 95XLT I know it wont do a ton but I was hoping it would be a good starter. Well let me know what you think.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
In my opinion, I suggest you get an older model and see if you're still interested first before getting the latest and greatest. Since you area has a little digital and you're just jumping into scanning, I recommend the BCD396T as that will enable you listen to public safety in your area. The BCD396XT is $200 more at most places for a few bells and whistles that you may not need. But if you can afford it, knock yourself out!

Here is a comparison....
BCD396T - The RadioReference Wiki
BCD396XT - The RadioReference Wiki

EcPeezy

Yeah I looked up the newer one on Amazon and it was about 450$ I don't know if that was a good price or not, if you guys know or more places that sell it for a better price that would be nice to know. Thank you for the replies you guys are awesome!

CLAY

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I looked up the newer one on Amazon and it was about 450$ I don't know if that was a good price or not, if you guys know or more places that sell it for a better price that would be nice to know. Thank you for the replies you guys are awesome!

CLAY

Yes thats a good price,scanner master and universal radio is selling it for $469.95 and scanner world is selling it for $459.88.Also it depends on the shipping too.

Status
Not open for further replies.