First time user guide per a Uniden 396 or 996

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooplahpro

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

This has probably been covered before on the forum, but if not here's my input per the mistakes that I made.

So you went out and spent big bucks for a do everything Uniden BCD996XT or BCD396XT digital trunking scanner, only to find out you could probably learn Chinese before figuring out how to program the thing! The manual while actually giving you all the needed info does not help much per complexity of today's trunking systems. In fairness it is not Uniden's responsibility to train you in the wonders of 21st century communications. Still they could have clued you in a little per the skills needed before making the purchase. But that's capitalism for you.

Anyway here is a quick guide per ONE of the many ways to get your new scanner up and running with a minimum of fuss.

Buy the USB1 cable. You'll need it to connect your unit to a PC computer. But your new computer doesn't have a serial port so buy a USB to RS-232 serial adapter such as the XS880 from usconverters.com. This is a state-of-the-art adapter with the latest ICs and works with Microsoft OS versions up to Windows 7! Connect both cables from your scanner to the PC and you've completed the hardware requirements. Note that the USB1 cable plugs into the front of the 996 scanner next to the Eyes button. You can use the rear serial port but you will need a serial NULL modem cable to make it work. A standard cable or female/female adapter won't work.

Buy ARC-XT Pro from Butel Software. Then goto radioreference.com and buy a premium subscription to their services. Now you have the needed software to program the scanner as well as the ability to download all the frequency info for where you live.

Buy the Nifty Mini-Manual for your scanner from Nifty Accessories Ham Radio Set-up Guides, Radio Pouches and Chest Harness Home Page or you can also get them from Universal Radio shortwave, amateur, scanner and CB radio since 1942. This is a condensed version of the manual with all the important items easy to find.

Now before you do anything it is time to read. Specifically all about Quick Keys. Modern trunking systems are very complex and per the old days of just entering frequencies won't cut it. Radio Reference will make it easy to download a complex system but then you have to actually access it. That is where Quick Keys come in. You will need to assign a Quick Key for each system you install so it is easy to turn it on and off. This is the "key" to how these scanners work. But before you download anything, you already have built-in generic scans for items such as Aircraft, CB, Public Safety, etc. These never go away even if you erase all programming on the scanner, so learn how to assign Quick Keys to these items and you will be ready to assign them to your downloads. This is covered in the manual but probably much easier to learn in the nifty manuals.

The trade off is that the Quick Keys easily turn on/off a trunking system but you also have to use them for everything including say a number of your favorite Amateur radio frequencies which you can group together. But once you download some complex systems and see how it actually works then you will be able to program your specific frequencies as your learning curve increases. So for now forget puting a specific frequency. That is not the way these scanners work.

So your scanner is connected to the PC and you're running ARC-XT Pro. Goto Scanner-Communications setup. Click on AutoDetect Scanner. If you setup the hardware as per above the software will detect your scanner. If not you have a serial issue. If OK then click on OK.

You can click on the read icon for your scanner then save it all to a file as you like, but personally it is a waste and takes a lot of time per Uniden tried to include as many state systems to start. So what do you care if you live in Illinois per the systems in Alaska? You can get whatever you specifically need on Radio Reference.

Now click on Internet and then Radio Reference. Enter your Username and Password per a premium account and you will have access to their database. Then enter your state, then county, and start looking at their conventional, agencies, and trunked systems. Trunking systems can be statewide such as in Indiana Safe-T Net so look at the systems and decide what specific items you need for your area. Pick one and try it out. Then the next time pick more and start simple. You will screw this up the first time but not to worry. The software will let you delete anything and you start over again. Once you get the idea pick a few and import them. They will show up on the left column on the screen. Once you have them assign a Quick Key for each of them. This is very important so write it down. Don't play with all the other parameters as you are just learning for now. Quick Key is the important issue.

Then click on the send icon, select the systems you downloaded and also "delete all systems first" on the right side. The systems will download to your scanner and upon completion they will all be operational and scanning. Listen and see if you are getting what you want to hear. Remember this is not the old school of scanning but the scanner will track the trunking systems accurately. If you hit a call you are interested in then push the Hold button per a specific communication. Hit Scan to move on.

Trunking systems have incorporated into one major system per a given area with everyone getting on board. In the old days you would have to be in range of a particular system to hear it. Now everyone gets on one system and all you have to do is hit their system with a $500.00 expensive scanner to hear every agency in your area. So with Radio Reference and understanding Quick Keys you will be off to a great start. Just keep it simple at first and you won't have to learn the specifics of a system unless that is what you want to do.

Buy both the 996 mobile/base and the 396 handheld? Arc-XT Pro doesn't care. Per saving Profiles it will download to your currently connected scanner after you do the Scanner-Communications setup. Forget the clone cable.

Regards,
George

KE5TLF

Yeah no kidding. The EZGrab feature within it is free to. Just need something not Internet Exploder to make it work best.
No idea what the hooking up both cables thing is about either.

Nice general effort though. :)

K3RBP

Premium Subscriber
I think his effort was good, and it gives a pretty good idea of how to start. I do not have one of these scanners, but I am contemplating one, so I liked his user-friendly approach. I think the 2 cables he was talking about are the scanner cable to the USB-serial adapter cable.

I know there is free software and manuals out there, so I would be trying these first, if I buy one of these bad boys. So thanks for posting your ideas, and maybe other newbies to this scanner series will chime in their thoughts.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I think his effort was good, and it gives a pretty good idea of how to start. I do not have one of these scanners, but I am contemplating one, so I liked his user-friendly approach. I think the 2 cables he was talking about are the scanner cable to the USB-serial adapter cable.

I know there is free software and manuals out there, so I would be trying these first, if I buy one of these bad boys. So thanks for posting your ideas, and maybe other newbies to this scanner series will chime in their thoughts.

I have both free scan and arc.. I do believe arc is overall better but freescan is just that free either can be used for these scanners you will definitely want some sort of software though programming in by hand can take forever

Robinsmark

only to find out you could probably learn Chinese before figuring out how to p

George: In fact I found Bankruptcy Law easier to understand than programming the 996XT. YEP there is definitely a learning curve to this puppy! I share your frustrations. Eventually I figured it out and the Butel software made it "somewhat" easier although their manual isn't so great either. What I found on the net was a YouTube video some guy made that shows how to program a Motorola system. This is what Uniden should really have on their CD ROM but alas.. cost cost cost as you mentioned!

Hooplahpro

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

My initial post was just one of many ways the get this scanner working with some specific details per the hardware to do it that worked for me. Most posts don't goto this detail. I'm really not interested in figuring out how trunking systems works especially per the digital side. I just wanted to easily setup my local interests and Radio Reference does it easily.

Per my location all the local government went into one trunking system. Thus you hit their transmit site and you hear everything even on a handheld. That is a failure on their part as it makes it even easier to listen to everything they say per all agencies. In the old days you would have to be in range of the system you wanted to hear. Thus with a digital scanner you cover all the bases on one download from Radio Reference. It doesn't matter as if they are digital or not as the 996 and portable 336 will decode them.

As per free software versus paying a small cost for great software I wonder why someone would pay up to $500.00 for the scanner then try to get a deal on the software? Yes FreeScan is an excellent program and a lot easier to use than the Butel products. My choice was to go with ARC-XT Pro with a lot more features. Your choice may be different. But they do have trial versions so check them out.

As for the adapter I mentioned, this basically adds a standard serial port to a computer that doesn't have one. Then you have to provide the correct cables to connect to this virtural serial port. But once you do it will transfer at the highest speeds. Note the serial port on the back of the 996 and the adapter is the same.

Anyway it's just one way to do it. I thought it might help. I spent a lot of time online trying to figure all this out. When I did figure it out I thought to pass it along. Then maybe someone else will have an easier time per getting their scanner up and running.

Meanwhile per the 20 million dollars spent on upgrading the government communications in my area, the 996 and 396 captures them all.

Regards,
George

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, invest in the paperback manual...It was a BIG Help for me... it also is a good ready refferance...... And don't just read it once, it will take a few time before it starts to make scence..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Really, the very purpose of the article below is to give newcomers to the DMA scanners a 1-stop place to go to get started. I recently added indexing for the Easier to Read manuals (at the bottom) to make them easier to find and identify.

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

No matter what software you use, you really need to understand the basics, along with how DMA works, to use it effectively. Certainly the method of presentation in a package will appeal to one person or turn another off, that's just human nature. There's a lot to these DMA scanners, and as one poster commented, there's a heckuva learning curve if you want to learn it all. But the article above will definitely get you started. If there are other topics that you feel should be covered, feel free to add them..Mike

Last edited:

Hooplahpro

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

A few final comments:

FreeScan is a great program and it is free. ARC-XT Pro adds a lot more features which are cool to play with such as the waterfall spectrum display, etc. Anyway I found the ARC embedded manual in the software a great help and a lot easier than reading the Uniden online manuals. Butel software is worth a look especially since they are currently giving you a subscription to Radio Reference.

"You can use the rear serial port but you will need a serial NULL modem cable to make it work. A standard cable or female/female adapter won't work."

The XS880 serial adapter I suggested has a male (the one with the pins) serial connection. The back of the BCD996XT also has a male connection. Thus one would need a female/female (the one with the holes...trying to keep this simple) adapter or cable to connect the two. The problem is that they don't work (which I tried). What does appear to work per other posts in this form is a serial NULL modem cable which reverses the pinouts (which I didn't try). You be the judge...

The USB1 cable has the female connection which connects correctly to the XS880 male adapter.

If your nuts like me and buy both the 996XT and 396XT you can easily program each scanner just by Auto-Detect the first one and send, move the USB1 cable to the other scanner, and then Auto-Detect it and send.

By the way Mike KA3JJZ did a great job of providing an online user manual and guide per these scanners at:

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Still per all the things these scanners can do even his site can be intimidating at first. My post was just to get you started and hearing all those digital systems in your area ASAP. I didn't see anything in my Internet search looking for a simple quick setup, so I decided to create one that actually works. I hope then like me you get this big smile on your face when it is working! Want to go farther...then definately check out Mike's site.

Regards,
George
KD6G

Status
Not open for further replies.