Fish and Wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

F&G does not use the same output tone for all repeaters. Each repeater transmits its input tone. By monitoring the tone I can tell the general area of the field unit in case I don’t recognize specific locations referenced
As I learned by trying to monitor 151. 340. Within 30 minutes I heard so many stations from Mexico and aircraft landing here and they Southern California area in what not. I would have thought those frequencies works clusive to the state of California.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CNRSW72

Getting back to the original topic....

CA DFW is actively transitioning to P25 in parts of the state and you can expect to see every region cut over eventually. And encryption will be used.

krazybob

Topics wander. We're still on track. Where is California supposed to get the money to replace an analog system with a fully digital system that's going to require that they put additional sites in? P25 does not cover the same footprint that analog does regardless of what they tell you. They like to tell you that - 107 dbm is the point if they aim for but then claim they can copy a signal it - 119 dbm. That's 1uV vs. .25uV. Where is this fantastic State going to get the money to build out using a 90% coverage protocol? We need to remember that their primary areas of operation are in mountains and remote areas. Will Kenwood continue to provide equipment for them?

CNRSW72

Topics wander. We're still on track. Where is California supposed to get the money to replace an analog system with a fully digital system that's going to require that they put additional sites in? P25 does not cover the same footprint that analog does regardless of what they tell you. They like to tell you that - 107 dbm is the point if they aim for but then claim they can copy a signal it - 119 dbm. That's 1uV vs. .25uV. Where is this fantastic State going to get the money to build out using a 90% coverage protocol? We need to remember that their primary areas of operation are in mountains and remote areas. Will Kenwood continue to provide equipment for them?

Most of the sites already have P25 capable equipment that is running in mixed mode. I can’t attest to where the funding is coming from, all I know is it’s happening. And for the equipment, DFW has been using Harris for years and I would expect to see a switch to Motorola just like CSP and CHP.

CNRSW72

Can DFW afford to build out a 90% coverage system by them selves?...no would they have to double their sites? Yes...but that’s a very singular way of thinking. If you were to build out trunked sites at all of the sites a state agency currently has equipment, you would be pretty close to having the coverage you need. Now also realize that there are plenty of sites that would be made obsolete by consolidating the state into one system. For example, there are many sites that are adjacent on the same ridge that have separate state agencies in them. With a singular system, only one of those sites would need to stay. Yes there would need to be sites added to the system to fill in the gaps, but not as many as the nay sayers would want you to think. As for cost, right now every state agency is paying monthly maintenance costs on all of their equipment, microwave circuits and don’t forget about the copper circuits that are still out there. If that were consolidated down to 1 system with only state owned backhaul and agencies paid a flat user fee per radio on the system, the cost savings would be astronomical.

Status
Not open for further replies.