FIX FOR PRO-2045 "Loosing Programmed Memories" 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOGLAD

Premium Subscriber
After 20+ years of fine service my PRO-2045 no longer retained memories!

The official Users Manual mentions nothing about this issue so I hunted for a PRO-2045 "Service Manual" without success.

Inside the scanner I found "C164", a "Super Capacitor" with it's printing so tiny and squashed down (heat shrink action?) that it could not be read even with a strong magnifying glass? There was also a hint of 'peach fuzz' on top.

After some research I think Amazon has the best thing going:

Super Capacitor 5.5V 1.5F Supercapacitor 5.5V Super Farah Capacitor Combination Vehicle Recorder (Pack of 2Pcs),
$7.69 plus tax.
I received my Super Capacitors the next day!

To save a LOT of work, be SURE your power supply is totally disconnected.
Now THE OBJECT IS to leave the original solder tabs in place! Using a small pair of flat-nose plyers ~ gently CRUSH the original cap without destroying the tabs. Now CAREFULLY solder your new Super Capacitor to the original tabs and you are done in 10 minutes or less!

Note: If you are in doubt, the POSITIVE Capacitor lead solders to the pin closest to the rear apron.

The 'purest' may be tempted to totally remove the mother board from the case, but look at all of the work involved to get to the solder tabs; so you decide?

After 24+ Hours the Super Capacitor is fully charged at 2.82 VDC. With the new 5.5 volt Super Capacitor rating, this choice should last another 25 years!

My PRO2045 is now performing like new!
After seeing all of the space inside I would love to convert to internal 12 volt batteries in case of power failure?

Anthony
WA6IGJ

hill

Premium Subscriber
The PRO-2045 is a great scanner. Never owned one from new, but picked up one used for a great price to be my MIL Air scanner during the pandemic.

Even has the tone board in it, but not used much by me with only using on FM infrequently.

SOGLAD

Premium Subscriber
WOW! The "Tone Board"! I wanted one when I purchased this PRO-2045, but the Shack had none in stock so it soon fell off my radar. I would love to have one but I am guessing that are quite difficult to find? Thanks for the reminder!

Tone Board catalog number is 20-0031 (edit)

WA6IGJ

Last edited:

wtp

and don't forget a battery backup for any power hiccups.
i have 5 older analog only scanners on one.
and the cable box/modem/router/TV on another.
wife's computer on another
and it does get loud when the power cuts out.

mule1075

Feed Provider
WOW! The "Tone Board"! I wanted one when I purchased this PRO-2045, but the Shack had none in stock so it soon fell off my radar. I would love to have one but I am guessing that are quite difficult to find? Thanks for the reminder!

Tone Board catalog number is 20-0031 (edit)

WA6IGJ
Bought one from Canada Bnib with the toneboard installed from the factory. Should have never have sold it.

3rdHarmonic

You should've replaced the SRAM with an FRAM, no Super CAP, no batt, when your great great great grandson finds it in the attic it would still have the frequencies you entered in it

It requires someone with electronics experience and a Hot air gun to replace it
Regards
3rd

typesix

The PRO-2045 is a junior version of the BC-9000XLT, with less features, smaller case and locked out frequency coverage. They both use the same tone board Uniden BC-005. My memory capacitor also had to be replaced years ago, but fortunately Radio Shack was still OK and had an online parts list and found the capacitor. Only thing I don't like is the long squelch tail.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Somebody emailed me for a picture and I deleted it by accident. So I will post it here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220721-141133_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220721-141133_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 22

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
After 20+ years of fine service my PRO-2045 no longer retained memories!

The official Users Manual mentions nothing about this issue so I hunted for a PRO-2045 "Service Manual" without success.

Inside the scanner I found "C164", a "Super Capacitor" with it's printing so tiny and squashed down (heat shrink action?) that it could not be read even with a strong magnifying glass? There was also a hint of 'peach fuzz' on top.

After some research I think Amazon has the best thing going:

Super Capacitor 5.5V 1.5F Supercapacitor 5.5V Super Farah Capacitor Combination Vehicle Recorder (Pack of 2Pcs),
$7.69 plus tax.
I received my Super Capacitors the next day!

To save a LOT of work, be SURE your power supply is totally disconnected.
Now THE OBJECT IS to leave the original solder tabs in place! Using a small pair of flat-nose plyers ~ gently CRUSH the original cap without destroying the tabs. Now CAREFULLY solder your new Super Capacitor to the original tabs and you are done in 10 minutes or less!

Note: If you are in doubt, the POSITIVE Capacitor lead solders to the pin closest to the rear apron.

The 'purest' may be tempted to totally remove the mother board from the case, but look at all of the work involved to get to the solder tabs; so you decide?

After 24+ Hours the Super Capacitor is fully charged at 2.82 VDC. With the new 5.5 volt Super Capacitor rating, this choice should last another 25 years!

My PRO2045 is now performing like new!
After seeing all of the space inside I would love to convert to internal 12 volt batteries in case of power failure?

Anthony
WA6IGJ

Thanks for posting this. I performed the same procedure but removed the posts (from the top), and the cap went in perfectly and all is well. No fingers were burned and no motherboards were harmed. Will see what happens.....

Status
Not open for further replies.