• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

"Fixing GMRS" - an Editorial (AKA everyone's GMRS ideas go here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Yep, reminds me of many years ago where some guy was attempting to abolish the FCC and pretty much make everything "white space". His idea was that everyone would just have a radio that would negotiate for available spectrum. After all, in his musings, police officers were not transmitting -all- the time, and that space could be reused.

Obviously he didn't get it, and didn't get his wish.

Can't remember if he wanted more space for unlicensed 2 way radio, or more space for wireless internet access.

Back in about 1980, while working at /\/\, one of the engineers presented an open technical forum hypothesizing exactly that. Software defined radios that negotiated spectrum. He also predicted that the FCC would be irrelevant. This was way before the internet.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Midland needs fixing, not GMRS. Keep GMRS analog and wideband.

I think GMRS will be analog and wideband for the foreseeable future. As the older commercial equipment starts to hit the landfills and junk bins, GMRS will need to adopt to narrowband or DMR technology, or be restricted to wideband analog equipment choices from the Midlands and B-TECHS of the world.

I'm totally on board for Midland to make their radios better and improve on their marketing angle to GMRS users.

bill4long

If you care about the future of GMRS, the FCC *not caring* is an issue.

Hans13 was quoting me, and I was referring to using Part 90 radios on GMRS, nothing else. The FCC has never gone after anyone using Part 90 radios on GMRS. I consider that a good thing, but I would like to see an R&O making it official policy.

russbrill

I do believe an excellent point was raised about type acceptance. Why couldn't the FCC specify in Part 95 that any radio that meets type acceptance under Part 90 and is capable of being programmed for wide band emissions on GMRS frequencies automatically meets type acceptance requirements for GMRS under Part 95?

There is absolutely no question that commercial grade Motorola, Vertex, Kenwood, GE/MaCom/Harris is as good (actually MUCH better, in my opinion) as the Chinese junk that barely passes Part 95 type acceptance and is only designed for GMRS and FRS.

This ought to be a very simple rule change that would have zero negative effect on the GMRS service. It would also stop the senseless hand-wringing of radio nerds that lose sleep over licensees using commercial equipment that isn't Part 95 type accepted.

I believe Part-90 equipment meets the part-95E requirement, because Part-90 equipment programmed to 95E specs cannot be easily modified by the typical end user... I've never seen a Part-90 radio with a VFO, and if one existed it would NOT meet Part-95E requirements.

RFI-EMI-GUY said in part...

The $70 is for a 10 year license that is good for you and many of your relatives. It is less than 2 cents per day. By god are you that cheap? If so get into... 'HAM' radio."

From the above statement about ham radio it seems to me that rfi-emi-guy knows nothing about the high cost when it comes to ham/amateur radio equipment. A ICOM IC 7851 will set you back somewhere in the area of $12,000. So much for ham radio being cheap!

RFI-EMI-GUY

From the above statement about ham radio it seems to me that rfi-emi-guy knows nothing about the high cost when it comes to ham/amateur radio equipment. A ICOM IC 7851 will set you back somewhere in the area of $12,000. So much for ham radio being cheap!

Chill out Mr. CCR BFB dude. I am a ham and have tens of thousands invested. The comment was because 90% of the responses about getting a GMRS license say they can get a ham license for free. Besides hams tend to be a cheap bunch overall. That's why they love BaoFengs.

Kaleier1

I believe Part-90 equipment meets the part-95E requirement, because Part-90 equipment programmed to 95E specs cannot be easily modified by the typical end user... I've never seen a Part-90 radio with a VFO, and if one existed it would NOT meet Part-95E requirements.

I think most of the Part 90 radios used by hams have VFOs. My Part 90 Alinco DJ-MD5T has a VFO mode as well as channel mode.

russbrill

Not true, you can purchase an IC-7300 HF Transceiver for about $1000.00... And you can get a new 2 meter radio for about $130.00

russbrill

Chill out Mr. CCR BFB dude. I am a ham and have tens of thousands invested. The comment was because 90% of the responses about getting a GMRS license say they can get a ham license for free. Besides hams tend to be a cheap bunch overall. That's why they love BaoFengs.

I think they're Chinese agents plotting to take over Ham Radio :)

russbrill

More likely CCRs did that. I suspect the offroaders and preppers have been the major energy boost to GMRS, and from what I can tell, by and large they know about, and use, CCRs.

I don't know about that... I know Midland has been promoting the hell out of their GMRS product line since 2013, or maybe before, but I know they have been pushing them hard to Jeepers and Campers...

bill4long

I don't know about that... I know Midland has been promoting the hell out of their GMRS product line since 2013, or maybe before, but I know they have been pushing them hard to Jeepers and Campers...

Talk to the preppers and off-roaders. Maybe you'll have a different experience. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.