FL-ANG To Perform Flyover For Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

masswxnet

Four F-16s from the FL-ANG's 125th Fighter Wing out of Homestead Air Reserve Base will perform a flyby over Sun Life Stadium for Super Bowl XLIV at the end of the National Anthem before kickoff.

Is anyone familiar with their callsigns/freqs and have you heard anything else?

Should be a good game. GO SAINTS! :D

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I know i am a little late on this but they were actually F-15C's from the Fla ANG unit in Jacksonville. 159th FS/125th FW

Calsigns could have included FANG or RATTLER. Their most common call is FANG.

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
They did good :) Timing was pretty good IMO. Corn is right they are F15's out of Jax.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Been hearing FANG chatter on 251.25 and 234.80. Also on UHF approach into Jax Intl. Wonder if they're just now getting back from Miami...

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I'm quite sure they also stay in a CAP the rest of the evening as well!

Not quite. These guys landed at Homestead after their flyby and then whisked to the stadium to be introduced later in the game. CAP duties were handled by the Louisiana ANG (ironic, based in New Orleans), 122nd FS/159th FW flying the F-15C using the callsign of CAESAR xx.

They started the CAP and then the 1st FW F-15's from Langley AFB relieved the LA ANG halfway thru and wrapped up the CAP then RTB'd Langley when it was over. They were using the call of HARASS. Unfortunately i couldn't monitor it (no CAPs in or near Mid-TN ever) but all the above info was confirmed by a Fla monitor on the yahoo groups.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Not quite. These guys landed at Homestead after their flyby and then whisked to the stadium to be introduced later in the game. CAP duties were handled by the Louisiana ANG (ironic, based in New Orleans), 122nd FS/159th FW flying the F-15C using the callsign of CAESAR xx.

They started the CAP and then the 1st FW F-15's from Langley AFB relieved the LA ANG halfway thru and wrapped up the CAP then RTB'd Langley when it was over. They were using the call of HARASS. Unfortunately i couldn't monitor it (no CAPs in or near Mid-TN ever) but all the above info was confirmed by a Fla monitor on the yahoo groups.

Hmmm - I was at the stadium and heard the whole Combat Air Patrol mission, and it was all PITTMANs from Shaw AFB the whole time. Never heard HARASS or CAESAR calls. I heard at least 3 refuelings with a NATION callsign, and also heard various CBP OMAHA aircraft checking in with DEARHUNTER as well as the PITTMAN aircraft.

Plus there is this article on the Shaw aircraft working the CAP:

http://www.theitem.com/news/local_news/article_36592a20-f5b7-5c4c-8feb-49ff376255b6.html

- Chris

Last edited:

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I don't doubt you Chris, i was getting my info from a fellow monitor in Fla but maybe he was hearing the Shuttle Cap. Both the Shuttle CAP and the Super Bowl CAP were going on at the same time. Whew, what a waste of tax dollars. Anyways the point was that the flyby aircraft aren't usually the ones that do the CAP. BTW, on my critique of the flyover: it looks like the Eagle drivers could have laid on the 'burner a little longer. Of course watching on TV does it no justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.