FL for SDS200 for Boston Marathon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Hoping I can take advantage of someone’s hard work... looking for a FL for the Boston Marathon I can plug into my SDS100 & SDS200. I volunteered this year (2020) for the marathon under the amateur radio category for the first time. But I am from Ct. I don’t have any idea of the in’s and out’s of the region regarding the various comms systems. A ready made FL would be ideal, but even a list of freqs and the title of the agency will allow me to look up or download what I need.
Thank you,

Bill

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
You want to look at Norfolk County, Middlesex County, and Suffolk County in Massachusetts. Also look at MetroFire and Bapern which are the primary mutual aid networks for the Boston area. Also look at the 2 state TRS. Do you happen to know where you will be assigned on the race route?

The race runs from Hopkinton to Ashland, Framingham, Natick, Wellesley, Newton, Brookline, then Boston.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all. I haven’t been notified of assignment as yet but have been acknowledged as registered. I’m hoping an assignment in/near Framingham will be fourth coming as it’s a shorter trip for me coming from Ct. (I still need to check in at wherever it is before the race to get the appropriate identification garb. But the trip home will be shorter than returning from Boston. As it’s my first time at the BM I expect I need to learn the ropes.

Do you know if the amateurs are allowed to park close to their assigned posts? I have a problem if I’m on my feet for very long.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
n1chu - I dont know if hams can park close to their posts. For most of the race route I would guess that parking is no problem for hams. In Brookline and Boston, parking is probably much tougher.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Sounds pretty exciting to me. I hope everything goes off the way it's supposed to. The marathon organizers have said for now the race is going on but Mayor Marty Walsh is not a hundred percent sure.

Let's hope it doesn't go the route of the st. Patrick's Day parade and the Cambridge basketball tournaments not to mention other large events. I know over a million people are expected from around the world even though they say attendance will be down due to international travel Bans.

The fact that WHO just announced it is a worldwide pandemic within the last hour could have an effect, who knows. Good luck and I hope everything goes well, it does sound pretty exciting.

As far as the parking I'm sure the organizers have placards for the visor or dashboard for different organizations like media Etc.

kennyblues

You've got a few months left to prepare, stories this morning indicate the marathon will be postponed until the fall.
UNCONFIRMED

gillham

Feed Provider
Parking along the marathon has changed drastically. I remember being waved on by a Newton Officer to grab a SD card from a Globe photographer. I pretty much pulled up to the crowd.

Things are very different (even prior to the start of the marathon). You're not going to see any parked vehicles along the route. Depending on the location, you might find a side street or parking lot that's nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.