Flat Coax Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo695

Hello, folks. I need to run my dual band base unit from the basement to an outdoor antenna without running the coax through three floors and a wall. I also don't want to drill through the foundation or a metal window frame. I've seen a "flat" coax connector 20 cm, SMA both ends, that allows a window to close down on it presumably without compromising the signal. Sounds like the answer but I was hoping for a few opinions. Thanks!!

ab5r

Please show a link address to that "flat coax connector" that you saw. THAT is something NEW to me! I personally use one of the MFJ pass-through window boards.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I wouldn't use the flat thing. Even if it can withstand being repeatedly closed in the window without damage, it's going to damage the weather seal on the window. Just don't.

FKimble

Diamond and Comet both make one with standardSo-239 connectors. The power limit is 60 W VHF and 40 W UHF on the Comet, Diamond about the same.

Frank KK4YTM

Rred

You find a piece of 1x2 lumber, or PVC trim, or any decent material that you can insert on the windowsill and shape or add weatherstripping, whatever, to get a good seal. With many windows you can just use a piece of 1x2 and put a felt weatherstrip in top and bottom.

Then you take the strip out, drill a hole in it, and insert a BULKHEAD CONNECTOR which is basically a one or two or four (etc) inch long piece of UHF double-female fitting. Put the bulkhead conenctor in the hole, tighten the nut on each side, put the strip back in the window. End of problem.

Or, you get a drill (an impact drill if you've got concrete walls) and just drill a hole through the wall and put in an 8" long bulkhead connector, with caulking at both side. The professional way to do it, without needing to mess with the window locks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Been using one for years no damage at all to the seal.

I suspect you'll have leakage when you remove the flat cable. Shutting things in windows and doors generally makes a crease in the gasket.

Ubbe

I have four of them with F connectors in use for satellite dish, terrestial tv and scanner. They attenuate some 2-3dB and the impedance is way off.

They don't last forever as I think it is aluminum foil with an insulated wire inside and the insulation probably wears off. If I open a window once a day it usually begins to act up after 2-3 years and have to be replaced. But that's 1000 times so it might not be bad for a $5 item.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have four of them with F connectors in use for satellite dish, terrestial tv and scanner. They attenuate some 2-3dB and the impedance is way off.

2-3dB is a lot of loss for a coax connector. A standard passthrough connector would have a small fraction of a dB worth of loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.