Flathead Natl Forest in Montana - 2020 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
comparing freqs from a 2020 document from USFS versus the RRDB; we find these new items for 2020

Flathead NF - "Work 1" - 168.1625 - mobiles TX PL 123.0 - (maybe just units from Kootenai NF xmit this PL)

Flathead NF A/G Primary - 169.125 - mobiles TX PL 123.0 - (maybe just air units from Kootenai NF xmit this PL)

173.625 - "Spotted Bear Direct" - mobiles transmit PL 114.8 - (not sure what this is)

173.1125 R - just a little extra info here about the repeaters - Werner Peak Lookout (LO) is in Stillwater State Forest - Nuano (Ridge) Lookout is in Glacier Natl Park (NP) - Kerr Mountain (Mtn) is also known as (aka) Blacktail Mtn - Scalplock Mtn LO is in Glacier NP - Lookout Mtn is aka Spotted Bear LO - Napa Point is "FS" (?Forest Service?) - Elbow is aka Elbow Point

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
My information shows Numa Ridge, not Nuano (Ridge). On the listing I have for the Flathead NF Napa Point is labeled as "FNF Napa Point." There must be a Napa Point in the area that is not on the Flathead NF. I'm need to find the document you found as I have 3 that have Flathead NF info, but none of them show 173.6250. I'm wondering if there is a remote base at Spotted Bear Lookout which is for the 173.6250 direct use. Spotted Bear repeater has an input tone of 114.8 already.

The Spotted Bear Ranger District is very unique now. I think it is the last "in and out" ranger district left. An "in and out" is one where the district has offices in the closest town in the winter, but then moves everything, file cabinets, everything to a more remote location for a portion of spring, all summer and a few weeks into fall. The drive to the Spotted Bear Ranger Station is a long one. Most of the RD is in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, with the famous "Chinese Wall" formation in it. "The Bob" is a large wilderness for the lower 48 states at just over 1,000,000 acres. It adjoins two other wilderness areas, The Great Bear and Scapegoat making the entire complex 1,535,992 acres. The Spotted Bear RD administers the largest portion of that. I can understand if they need a separate net for doing so. I'm not familiar with the terrain, specifically what the radio coverage is from Spotted Bear Lookout.

ecps92

Name Napa Point
Lat 47.786111
Lon -113.734444
ForestName Flathead National Forest

My information shows Numa Ridge, not Nuano (Ridge). On the listing I have for the Flathead NF Napa Point is labeled as "FNF Napa Point." There must be a Napa Point in the area that is not on the Flathead NF. I'm need to find the document you found as I have 3 that have Flathead NF info, but none of them show 173.6250. I'm wondering if there is a remote base at Spotted Bear Lookout which is for the 173.6250 direct use. Spotted Bear repeater has an input tone of 114.8 already.

The Spotted Bear Ranger District is very unique now. I think it is the last "in and out" ranger district left. An "in and out" is one where the district has offices in the closest town in the winter, but then moves everything, file cabinets, everything to a more remote location for a portion of spring, all summer and a few weeks into fall. The drive to the Spotted Bear Ranger Station is a long one. Most of the RD is in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, with the famous "Chinese Wall" formation in it. "The Bob" is a large wilderness for the lower 48 states at just over 1,000,000 acres. It adjoins two other wilderness areas, The Great Bear and Scapegoat making the entire complex 1,535,992 acres. The Spotted Bear RD administers the largest portion of that. I can understand if they need a separate net for doing so. I'm not familiar with the terrain, specifically what the radio coverage is from Spotted Bear Lookout.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Name Napa Point
Lat 47.786111
Lon -113.734444

There is a Numa Lookout repeater located inside the park and a Napa Point repeater, located on the Flathead National Forest. Now, why the USFS decided it was important to add both "FS" and in another directory "FNF" to "Napa Point" is the question. They did not attach these initials to any of the other repeater locations located on the Flathead. Oh, I just figured it out, it was so no one in Montana mistook it for Napa Auto Parts, located in nearly every small town in that state and around the west. ;)

ecps92

Name Numa Ridge
Lat 48.883889
Lon -114.179722

There is a Numa Lookout repeater located inside the park and a Napa Point repeater, located on the Flathead National Forest. Now, why the USFS decided it was important to add both "FS" and in another directory "FNF" to "Napa Point" is the question. They did not attach these initials to any of the other repeater locations located on the Flathead. Oh, I just figured it out, it was so no one in Montana mistook it for Napa Auto Parts, located in nearly every small town in that state and around the west. ;)

silverspy

I noticed that the database has 173.625 in the Montana federal section and states Bob Marshall Wilderness operations. I wonder if this is just a remote base at Spotted Bear, or if there is also duplex operation with a repeater input, or both.

ecps92

"Flathead NF - Spotted Bear DIRECT" is what the documents say, Direct = Simplex
Nothing specific to Bob Marshall

I noticed that the database has 173.625 in the Montana federal section and states Bob Marshall Wilderness operations. I wonder if this is just a remote base at Spotted Bear, or if there is also duplex operation with a repeater input, or both.

p1879

The Bob "Complex" including the other 2 Wilderness Areas, has 5 RD's from 2 National Forests on it: Seely Lake RD, Rocky Mt RD, Spotted Bear RD, Lincoln RD, and Hungry Horse.

Spotted Bear Simplex would surely see extensive use in the Bob Marshal.

It is reassuring to see a common back-country frequency for the field people--besides coordinating fire, accidents, and other calamities there is a higher purpose in this capability. A good example of this is when the trail crew coordinates a visit and Mescal-worm analysis meeting with a remote lookout post.

Status
Not open for further replies.