FleetCall - Smyrna Site 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
I've been having a hard time monitoring the Smyrna site from the information that is in the database. Since I'm working from home, I decided to monitor the Smyrna site based on the following information from the wiki with the SDS100 and Watson 881 antenna:

• 461.100000 408 RAN=21
  • 461.325000 430 RAN=21
  • 461.481250 455 RAN=21
  • 461.700000 490 RAN=21 CC
What I found out was that 461.1 was the control channel, and I picked up TGID 2200 - Delaware Electric Cooperative, 502 - Home Nursing, and 21800 - Unk. Unfortunately, that amount of traffic that I heard on this site for fours hours was quite limited to under 10 transmissions. So, I have a few questions...

1. How much time should I monitor this site before I submit a change for this site to the database?
2. Is anyone monitoring the other sites in either Cecil, Kent, and/or New Castle Counties? What kind of traffic are you receiving? Would these sites be within range with my current set-up?
3. Will I only hear traffic if a subscriber is within range of this site?

Since I have the NXDN upgrade, I'm just trying to see what is out there to monitor.

Thanks,

Adam

Reconrider

Only submit information that you know is true and valid. If you have recording turned on for the sds100 let it record a few transmits that you get and listen to them until you get a good idea of what you want to name it and a catergory you want to make it in(if none apply)

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Hello Adam!
I'm the guy (primarily) who has been maintaining the wiki. The info is true and valid.. To the best of my knowledge..
If you have verified the above info to be correct, Then I suggest you please submit this info. No need wait..
If you have the site info programmed as above in your SDS and it's getting traffic it should be correct, but if you want to run the LCN finder just to verify it, that's up to you.. Could take a while with little traffic though.
I originally found the site and verified those frequency and CH numbers using the formula on the wiki. (Which are known to be accurate across the system)
As you've found, the site was not busy so I couldn't verify much else and I did not submit it. So the CC has rotated.
I monitor the Theodore Site 4 frequently and it does carry a good bit of traffic, Another one that is interesting is Delaware City Site 1 (This should be within range). You can learn a lot about how the refinery operates, but they are in a slowdown now. Pinning down what all the TG's are has been a fun headache.. :LOL: The Dover Site 8 should be nearly in range depending on your location/elevation, Not sure how busy it may be. The sites further south Delmarva way have not been checked in a long while. And could use some current confirmations of neighbor lists.. Booths Corner Site 2 is probably the most active site on the system.
The Wilmington Site 12 is very short range and only covers the city and not much more. Paulsboro Site 20 has never been verified.. But would be part of the refinery like site 1
I made this map a while back, If interested..
Due to the Covid shut down, many users are not on the radio. The system hums with school bus and other transportation types. The Trash guys are still going, you'll hear them the most under the current conditions.. The Ag types are hit and miss, You can often hear them plowing and spreading you know what, sometimes in the middle of the night..
(y)

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I just checked Site 4 it's reporting that Smyrna is using CH 394 as a CC if 461.1 is still active then my above statement may need to be checked at the door.. :LOL: The CH#'s need to be verified.
I recommend running your LCN finder with the frequencies listed in your first post and report your findings here, I'd do that before submitting the info.. (y)
Site 14 appears to be back on the air as well. Interesting, looks like I need to go on a road trip soon.

de784

Feed Provider
I have an issue monitoring this system in Sussex with a stock antenna. If I use my external antenna I have no issue

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I've updated the wiki page to indicate the new CC you've found and took the liberty of assuming that the CH# reported from Site 4's neighbor list is correct for that frequency.

So this may or may not be correct, Please add these to your Smyrna Site programming if not already done, and run the LCN Finder on your SDS when you get a chance.
  • 461.100000 CH# 394 RAN=21 CC
  • 461.325000 CH# 430 RAN=21
  • 461.481250 CH# 455 RAN=21
  • 461.700000 CH# 490 RAN=21 CC
When I found the site originally it was using 461.7 and CH# 490 was correct as the CC, I feel confident that is still the same as posted, Based on your findings 461.1 is highly likely to be CH# 394 and not what was previously listed in the wiki as 408. Running The LCN Finder or by using software and an SDR (If available) is the best way to verify what's up and get the proper info for submission and updating the RR DB for the site.

If running the LCN Finder is not your thing, you can add the info as above and hold on the site and run the recording option. If it's getting traffic as is on all the frequencies, then it very well may be correct. With the detailed view enabled and the LCN & frequency fields enabled you'll be able to see which channels are active/correct and which ones seem to be incorrect (If the CH# is programmed wrong for a frequency you'll know fairly easily) calls will go to nowhere so to speak when they are assigned a wrong CH#. You can see this while scanning in real time or when reviewing the recordings after a session.

I hope this makes some sense and is helpful. Please let us know what you discover.. ;)

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
FYI,
It looks like the Smyrna Site CC rotates (possibly every 12 hrs or so) tonight it's back to 461.7 CH# 490
Site 14 Wrangle Hill may be similar in function to Site 12 Wilmington, A very small footprint used as a fill in site and to keep the Riff Raff off Site 1 which is dedicated primarily to Refinery traffic (After all they own that site).. Just a hunch. Site 14 was gone and off air for some time, not sure when it came back. And nearly all the sites have rotated CC's since my last screenshot (except sites 2, 5, 9, & 14) :geek: I don't think 9, 12, or 14 rotate CC's at all.

Last edited:

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
@u2brent - I appreciate your help and knowledge with this! I noticed this morning how the CC is back to 461.7. I will go ahead and run the LCN finder on my SDS100 to see what I get today, and I'll make a submission to the RRDB once I get a good handle of this site.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
When running the LCN Finder, I am getting 394 for for 461.100. I'll go ahead and make the submission to the DB.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
When running the LCN Finder, I am getting 394 for for 461.100. I'll go ahead and make the submission to the DB.
Excellent! (y)

Curious. :unsure:
Did you notice any activity on these 2 frequencies?
WPLI278
461.32500 CH# 430? RAN=21
461.48125 CH# 455? RAN=21
The CH#'s listed may not be correct, but if those frequencies are not used it makes little difference.
It could just be a 2 frequency/CH site and those other 2 are not used, or there's so little traffic that they weren't called into use therefore a CH# wouldn't be found by the scanner.. :geek:

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
Excellent! (y)

WPLI278
The CH#'s listed may not be correct, but if those frequencies are not used it makes little difference.
It could just be a 2 frequency/CH site and those other 2 are not used, or there's so little traffic that they weren't called into use therefore a CH# wouldn't be found by the scanner.. :geek:

I was just following TGID 27100, and the conversation was only moving between 461.1 and 461.7.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
WPLI278
I was just following TGID 27100, and the conversation was only moving between 461.1 and 461.7.
Great! I see your submission was worked (y)
I noticed those 2 additional frequencies we discussed were added as well.
Did you eventually get activity & confirm the CH ID's for those 2 additional frequencies or were they just assumed to be correct? :unsure: Or perhaps you had nothing to do with those 2? (someone else may have submitted info as well, IDK) :geek:
Thanks!

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
Great! I see your submission was worked (y)
I noticed those 2 additional frequencies we discussed were added as well.
Did you eventually get activity & confirm the CH ID's for those 2 additional frequencies or were they just assumed to be correct? :unsure: Or perhaps you had nothing to do with those 2? (someone else may have submitted info as well, IDK) :geek:
Thanks!

I made the submission with the information that I currently have to update the information for the second control channel. I didn't change anything with the other two frequencies as I want to wait and see if they are ever put in use since they are on the license.

Status
Not open for further replies.