Fleetmap Frequency Colours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues7676

Just curious if someone could tell me why the frequencies are now all blue... (i wish i remembered which ones were red) :p

Blues7676

I think your right, but in order for me to create the zone 1 fleetmap, i need the red control channel frequency. i think i do anyway. I'm a newbie and I'm just trying to figure out my BCD396t. (talk about confusing:))

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I think your right, but in order for me to create the zone 1 fleetmap, i need the red control channel frequency. i think i do anyway. I'm a newbie and I'm just trying to figure out my BCD396t. (talk about confusing:))

On occasion the control channels change.
I have seen the Hamilton towers normal control channel switch from 142.35 to 142.8.

Simply enter in both per tower or if you are trying to create a zone wide system enter in all of the blue ones.

A word of advice, if you enter in all the control channels as one system your scanner will stop on the first one it finds.
Your radio has the capacity to make numerous systems i.e one tower/one system.
You may want to take advantage of it.

Blues7676

So, EJB....
Let me see if i understand you. Basically it's better to make separate systems for each control channel?

I'm not quite following you. sorry...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
So, EJB....
Let me see if i understand you. Basically it's better to make separate systems for each control channel?

When making systems use both frequencies in blue per tower.

Last edited:

Blues7676

wow... Thanks for the 'tid bits'! Makes sense and worth the time in programming.

One other question if you don't mind me asking here; I'm not getting any activity on both the Mississauga and Toronto control channels. Do TGID's need to be entered in the groups in order to hear anything or should I be hearing them when I scan the specific system?

LordJ

So, EJB....

I have a separate system for the main tower I listen to. When I travel, I have a separate system that has ALL CC for whatever Zone I'm in, and I ID SEARCH...For me, that works best. One SQK for OPP on main tower (with some GQK's) , one SQK for MOH on main tower (with some GQK's), one SQK for MTO (with some GQK's) on main tower. One SQK for Zone 1 (No GQK's, ID Search mode) and one SQk for Zone 2 (No GQK's, ID Search mode).

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I have a separate system for the main tower I listen to. When I travel, I have a separate system that has ALL CC for whatever Zone I'm in, and I ID SEARCH...For me, that works best. One SQK for OPP on main tower (with some GQK's) , one SQK for MOH on main tower (with some GQK's), one SQK for MTO (with some GQK's) on main tower. One SQK for Zone 1 (No GQK's, ID Search mode) and one SQk for Zone 2 (No GQK's, ID Search mode).

Lord J I have both.
For the MOH & MTO I use a Zone 1 only c/c system but for the OPP I focus on the individual towers and toggel thru about 5 a day in the 30+ towers I have in Zone 1.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
wow... Thanks for the 'tid bits'! Makes sense and worth the time in programming.

One other question if you don't mind me asking here; I'm not getting any activity on both the Mississauga and Toronto control channels. Do TGID's need to be entered in the groups in order to hear anything or should I be hearing them when I scan the specific system?

If you havent entered any talkgroups for either system/tower hit ID Search.
If you have you should see activity. These towers are extremely busy.
Can you hear the towers?
Make sure your settings are correct.
E

overburn

make sure the scanner is set to ID SEARCH mode and that Control Channel Only is set to ON

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Or enter in talkgroups for the towers.
I.E. For Mississauga put in both Port Credit & Cambridge's t/g's to hear stuff from Mississauga and K/W.
Put in Niagara & Burlington to hear any and all action in Halton, Niagara Hamilton
& put in Whitby's & Downsviews for Durham region and 400 series highways.
Then set it to ID Scan

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Whats the advantage to programming in control channel only for fleetnet?

Why not just program all the freqs in.. I know its more typing if doing it by hand but its only 7 extra channels.

Is CC only more reliable? Or faster? or any other advantage to it (Other then time to program)

Blues7676

O.k., I'm getting roughly a dozen TGID's mainly coming from the Mississauga, one or two from Toronto and none from King City. I'm a little north of Toronto, up in the Caledon/Bolton area. (Which btw, i really want to find this TG). I haven't put in the Primrose or Ballinafad towers yet... still learning (baby steps :p)

Are Towers basically Controlled Channels (CC)?
Do all frequencies have Talk Groups (TG's)?
How Do I know what the ID's are, that come up during the ID SEARCH?

Thanks all for your kind help! :)

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
O.k., I'm getting roughly a dozen TGID's mainly coming from the Mississauga, one or two from Toronto and none from King City. I'm a little north of Toronto, up in the Caledon/Bolton area. (Which btw, i really want to find this TG). I haven't put in the Primrose or Ballinafad towers yet... still learning (baby steps :p)

Are Towers basically Controlled Channels (CC)?
Do all frequencies have Talk Groups (TG's)?
How Do I know what the ID's are, that come up during the ID SEARCH?

Thanks all for your kind help! :)

All the information can be found here:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=861

Can you hear the King City control channel?

The main talkgroup for the OPP for York region is:

8656 21d D 1OPS38 Aurora 5Bravo (5A GHQ units, 5X/5W Highway Rangers, 5L 407 units

sulk

I know this thread has kinda moved off topic, but I'm also having some problems with my bct15.

I tried programming in just the control frequency, that didnt work
I tried programming in all the frequencies, that didnt work
I tried importing in the data from the RR database, and that didnt work either

Pretty much it just sits there either scanning ids, or searching for ids whenever I try to listen.

I'm in mississauga, so I used the Brittannia site.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I can listen to the trunked peel police perfectly fine, is it just that theres absolutly no activity in my area?
Would mississauga EMS, or anything else be on a different site, and this one is just dead?

Thanks a lot.

slicerwizard

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
You could start by verifying that your scanner is hearing either the primary control channel on 141.42 or the secondary control channel on 142.665; without that requirement covered, your trunk tracking won't go anywhere. Are you near the site? Are you using a VHF antenna?

slicerwizard

Whats the advantage to programming in control channel only for fleetnet?

Why not just program all the freqs in.. I know its more typing if doing it by hand but its only 7 extra channels.

Is CC only more reliable? Or faster? or any other advantage to it (Other then time to program)
With CC-Only, your scanner will automatically handle changes to a site (e.g. new frequencies added), while not using CC-Only would lead to missed comms when those new channels were used for voice comms.

CC-Only can have a downside - it makes the scanner more susceptible to noise problems as bad decodes can send the scanner to non-Fleetnet frequencies where there might be other comms or perhaps a steady carrier that would lock it up until you pressed Scan to resume normal operation. On my 396, I find that it's more of a problem on 800 MHz systems; I tend to just program all system frequencies on 800 MHz systems that I monitor a lot.

There are also times when you have to use CC-Only - a generic use-it-anywhere Fleetnet system can't hold all of the voice channels used, but you can load up on all of the control channel frequencies.

sulk

You could start by verifying that your scanner is hearing either the primary control channel on 141.42 or the secondary control channel on 142.665; without that requirement covered, your trunk tracking won't go anywhere. Are you near the site? Are you using a VHF antenna?

Yea, I can hear the control frequency, and it sounds pretty busy, and it sounds clear.
And I'm fairly close, I can pick up the trunked police network in toronto, which is farther away.

I just tried programming it on the scanner itself, and no luck either. I can recieve signal from the toronto one as well, but it wont trunk either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.