Fleetnet - Aylmer Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Been noticing for the last little bit that the Aylmer site (22) has been going in and out of failsoft. Also just heard the Elgin dispatcher announce that there are issues with that site tonight (caused by weather she said.. Dunno about that one). Units advised to switch to SIM11 if problems continue and they can't get on the air in that area. And it just went into failsoft again as I'm typing this....

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Probably m/w fading due to the swing in temperature from night to day.

Those ducts that bring in far signals also bend m/w signals away from their intended targets.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That's true... and I am getting some decent skip in my area tonight too now that you mention it.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Makes you wonder why BMR went with microwave in the first place. I could understand using it as a backup, but primary?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Several reasons but the main one would be cost.

Pulling fiber to remote sites isn't cheap.

You'll also need to be granted access to existing poles, bury your lines or put up your own poles.

There will be pole rental costs as well for every existing pole you use.

Keep in mind that this would all be built and managed by a 3rd party which would probably be Bell Canada.

I was told the first implementation of Fleetnet used m/w for backhaul to the Comm Centres but once that started fading, it was replaced by fiber.

M/W hops are very easy to set up and relatively cheap.

I would guess the longest delay would be getiing a licence from Industry Canada.

Since a lot of Fleetnet sites are on BMC towers with existing m/w, it would be easy to tie the system together using existing hops.

slicerwizard

Probably m/w fading due to the swing in temperature from night to day.

Those ducts that bring in far signals also bend m/w signals away from their intended targets.
TRUNK88 logs show Aylmer's CC switching between 142.245 and 142.605, so there may have also been interference on the CC inputs.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Conditions are remaerkably good tonite. I have 142.245 coming in strong. Since I am hearing Norfolk OPP units and Oxford I guess I am hearing the Aylmer tower and not B-fad. Even Woodlawn is booming loud and proud here.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Add Simcoe to the list, I never can get anything resembling a good signal here but tonight I am getting it well enough to decode on my HP1 & Trunk 88!

Status
Not open for further replies.