Fleetnet during power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

I am just curious to know what happens to the provincial fleetnet towers, when a power outage occurs. Do all radios default to one specific frequency, with radio battery power backup or a generator at the tower site. Never experienced it, so just curious if any members here on RR have, what actually takes place, to MOH, MTO, and OPP.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The tower sites have generator (and likely battery) backup. During the big blackout a few years ago one of the big problems was getting fuel to the generators. Some of the remote sites simply ran out, at which point I believe radios in the area would have to switch to Sim11. I would assume the MTO has a Sim channel as well, and EMS could switch to PCOM (150.100). In London, most of the city was without power for 24+ hours and Fleetnet did not go down that I recall. It sure was chaotic though!!

Last edited:

hastingsmedic

Checked with MOH

I asked a "communication officer" with MOH, and if a power outtage occurs, their comms have a 2 minute EPS (emergency power supply), backed up by a generator. That is further backed up by batteries and generators at the towers. When they runout of juice (either battery or fuel) things go quiet. We then try going conventional, and running off Vehicle Repeaters and portables.

Then jungle drums and smoke signals.

After that, we get to go home.

Hastingsmedic

Status
Not open for further replies.