Fleetnet Investigative Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellotor

I was futzing around with my 'new' trunker computer yesterday and fired it up on the Hamilton site...haven't been running trunker for a while since I decided to move it to a dedicated machine.

Anyway, one of the Investigative talkgroups popped up right away. I usually have these set to a priority over 50 since 90% of the time the voice communications are encrypted but for some reason this one was set to priority 10. Anyway, there was a surveillance operation happening up on Hamilton mountain (I suspect it was a joint operation between HPS and other services) and a couple of the radios were unencrypted.

The interesting part is that the 'surveillance speak' was still being used: lots of 'dead scows,' 'davises,' 'lewises' and the like.

Never did find out what was up...it sounded like they pulled the pin on the operation without making arrests.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It seems quite often the officers using the surveillance radios aren't sure if they are encrypted or not. Sometimes it's 100% end to end, other times like you mentioned a few radios will be clear, while yet other times they all will be. And obviously the radio they are using isn't their primary focus for the day. Chances are they just pick it up, turn it on, and go about their business.

VA3QRM

surveillance speak

jellotor said:
I was futzing around with my 'new' trunker computer yesterday and fired it up on the Hamilton site...haven't been running trunker for a while since I decided to move it to a dedicated machine.

Anyway, one of the Investigative talkgroups popped up right away. I usually have these set to a priority over 50 since 90% of the time the voice communications are encrypted but for some reason this one was set to priority 10. Anyway, there was a surveillance operation happening up on Hamilton mountain (I suspect it was a joint operation between HPS and other services) and a couple of the radios were unencrypted.

The interesting part is that the 'surveillance speak' was still being used: lots of 'dead scows,' 'davises,' 'lewises' and the like.

Never did find out what was up...it sounded like they pulled the pin on the operation without making arrests.
They must have hopped in their skates and headed 9 bound......

jellotor

Forts said:
It seems quite often the officers using the surveillance radios aren't sure if they are encrypted or not. Sometimes it's 100% end to end, other times like you mentioned a few radios will be clear, while yet other times they all will be. And obviously the radio they are using isn't their primary focus for the day. Chances are they just pick it up, turn it on, and go about their business.

Based on the parts of the conversation I heard it seemed to me that the unencrypted radios were being handled by officers who weren't 100% familiar with them. Again, I think it was a joint operation with HPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.