Fleetnet Patches and MTO Enforcement talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that since I got my Home Patrol 1 that it reads the patched talkgroups differently than my older Uniden Scanners.
These days in my area the Burlington/Niagara OPP patches now have the Mto Enforcement vehicles 3968 T/G. So, now I will hear transmissions on all three of the talkgroups , 3968, 8672 & 8736.

Same story with the Port Credit/Cambridge patch, now I see the newly labelled Peel Tactical MTO Enforcement comms appearing along with P.Credit (8752) & Cambridge (8704).
Kinda makes it hard to stop on one talkgroup in an area when you might hear comms on either of the other patched talkgroups.
A few Home Patrol owners say that this is new for all Uniden scanners.
Can anyone verify?

TIA and merry Christmas to all.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying.

It's my understanding that the Home Patrol will display talkgroups which are involved in a patch.

So take for example... 1OPS42 (Toronto OPP), 1OPS45 (Whitby OPP) and 1-TORONTO (MTO Enforcement) are all patched, with 1OPS42 being the supergroup (IE, the group which is carrying the comms)... An older scanner would only show traffic on 1OPS42 and not the other ones, so if you want to hear traffic on the other two groups, you'd need to select 1OPS42...the user would have no idea the other two groups are even in use.

However, the Home Patrol knows the other two groups are patched with it. So, if you manually select 1OPS45, because it is involved in the patch on 1OPS42, the radio will automatically tune to the supergroup, and it will report the other groups in the patch.

This is really useful for Fleetnet, as you never really know where a patch will show up. Middlesex OPP (1OPS09) is rarely patched. So you'd hear them just fine on their regular talkgroup - but the few times it gets patched, you'd be SOL with an older scanner unless you have it scanning the other group that's in the patch (which, using the scanner, you'd have no way to tell)...however with a Home Patrol, you could select 1OPS09 and you'd hear everything, regardless of the patch.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It all started with the XT series of scanners.

The previous patch bug was fixed so now if a group is involved in a patch, you can actually hear the traffic on the group rather then having to listen to the supergroup.

This means people trying to listen to Caledon OPP no longer have to scan the MTO Enforcement and MNR groups to hear Caledon.

The Home Patrol does not show the groups involved in the patch.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

The previous patch bug was fixed so now if a group is involved in a patch, you can actually hear the traffic on the group rather then having to listen to the supergroup.

This means people trying to listen to Caledon OPP no longer have to scan the MTO Enforcement and MNR groups to hear Caledon.

Ok I dont understand:
According to my T88 screen right now off Brantford there is a patch of Brant 6B & Haldimand 6C/Q. T88 says the dominant TG is Brant 6B. In order for me to listen to all the talkgroups in this patch I have to have in both Haldimand and Brant's talkgroup no? I cannot just sit on Brant 6 Bravo to hear everything right? I have to have them all on?

Like last nite on Burl/Niagara there was a MTO EN patch set up and I had to have all the talkgroups in to hear what was going on; I was hearing 5C & 5G on the MTO Enforcement 3968 patch at times.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

My last question: If I park my scanner on one of the patched talkgroups I listed below (i.e. 6 6 Bravo) I will hear all the traffic and not be missing anything or no?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
My last question: If I park my scanner on one of the patched talkgroups I listed below (i.e. 6 6 Bravo) I will hear all the traffic and not be missing anything or no?

Yes.

With the older scanners such as the 396T/996T, if talkgroups A and B are patched together, you must listen to the supergroup or you will not hear any traffic.

With the newer scanners such as the XT series or the HomePatrol, if talkgroups A and B are patched together, you can listen to either group.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Yes.

With the older scanners such as the 396T/996T, if talkgroups A and B are patched together, you must listen to the supergroup or you will not hear any traffic.

With the newer scanners such as the XT series or the HomePatrol, if talkgroups A and B are patched together, you can listen to either group.

Ok Mike got it now, I ran T88 and finally figured it out.
Appreciated a quick responce, Merry Christmas to you and yours

Eric

bwjmackie

Is this bug with the 396T fixed by a firmware upgrade?

How do I know on a 396T if a TG is patched with another, and what TG it's patched with?

What is the "supergroup" and how do I find it?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
From what I remember the 396 still doesn't properly show patches, even with the most recent firmware (and I assume the same holds true fir the 996).

The supergroup is the group the other groups get patched to. It's all basically in the order that the dispatcher clicks the icons on the console. If EMS Tac 1 has University Hospital patched to it, Tac 1 is the supergroup. If the dispatcher picks the UH talk group then the Tac talkgroup that would make the UH talkgroup the supergroup.

bwjmackie

Not too long ago, I was listening to the Waterloo Region Fire groups and for a call that Ayr and Kitchener were sent to on the 401, Dispatch patched Kitchener TAC 2 with North Dumfries TAC 1. My radio showed either channel depending on (I think) who was talking. So if a Kitchener truck was speaking, Kitchener TAC 2 showed up. If Ayr responded before the scanner released the channel, the display would remain the same, but if they waited a little longer, the scanner would pick up North Dumfries TAC 1.

That said, it looks like Waterloo Region Police do things a little differently. I frequently see talkgroups in the 15- range (15-092 I think is a common one) and the chatter on there almost always sounds like they patched two or more of the three division talkgroups together. I don't see any indication of the patched TGIDs on my radio, just the 15-092 TG.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yeah EDACS is a different animal when it comes to patches. Basically a new talkgroup gets assigned and the patched groups are basically steered to it. For example if London Fire patches City Tac 1 (402) to County Tac 1 (101) the patch talkgroup assigned might be 2047 or something like that. The nice thing is that pretty much all trunk trackers follow EDACS patches properly. My older 780XLT will show the patch ID (2047) then will flash the patched in talkgroups (402 and 101).

Status
Not open for further replies.