Fleetnet Programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCA6YU

King Charles Adam 6 Young Union
Hi all

Was wondering if its a good idea to program fleetnet systems, ie, MOH, MTO, OPP, as three seperate systems, instead of having it all on one? I currently listen to all 3 agencies on the one system, and OPP dominates the activity, with MOH hardly getting a chance to be heard.
Any input?

Thom

Nap

I'd say that MOH is rather boring (unless you are a paramedic or some other kind of health professional), you're not losing much by leaving it as is.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
What model scanner do you have?

If your scanner has the memory/required # of banks It is better to keep them separate so that if you dont want MOH one day you can keep it off. Or vice versa

You can also set up SCANLISTS (in the following scanners 250d/296/785/795 gre 500/600/800 106/197 etc)
then turn one list on or off as needed

Or GROUP KEYS in the 396/996 series inside each system and turn them on or off as needed
i.e groups 1-3=OPP 4-6=MOH 7-9=MTO and Zero (0) = Misc

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I break them up simply so I can filter them out as needed. If someone has a hot call it's nice to be able to toggle the other stuff off.

derevs

On the Pro96, if you have room, program each service separately so you can turn a bank on or off depending on what you want to listen to. If you have all banks running then the OPP will still dominate the scanner.

Where I live in Peel I have Peel Police, Mississauga Fire, local EMS, local OPP, etc., all programmed on separate banks so I can turn them on or off as needed. Usually have the OPP shut out as they are too busy and I would not hear the other 3, which I want hear.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Agreed.. I should have mentioned that earlier. I too have mine setup as individual systems in separate banks. While the Pro96 does let you toggle scan lists within banks it takes a lot of button pushing and is really quite a pain in the butt.

LesWurk

Hi all

Was wondering if its a good idea to program fleetnet systems, ie, MOH, MTO, OPP, as three seperate systems, instead of having it all on one? I currently listen to all 3 agencies on the one system, and OPP dominates the activity, with MOH hardly getting a chance to be heard.
Any input?

Thom

If, you had 2 scanners, one analog trunking , (ie older trunking scanner like BC780 etc) and a digital digital trunking I'd split the analog and digital.

When I'm mobile every agency is one system, not the best setup but I'm not wired for complete mobile reception.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I have it divided several ways. One Home Patrol "system" is just for Halton with all the agencies and talkgroups; Halton EMS, Burlington MtO, and Burlington OPP. I also divide Fleetet by the big three as separate systems when I want to focus on one agency. The OPP and MTO enforcement is one, the MOH is another and the MTO road crews is the third. If I had a limited memory scannner like the 296/796 I would divide them the same way and maybe devote all the local talkgroups from local agencies as one.

Nap

guys do you know if the pro 164 can do fleetnet

Should work, the frequencies are here:

Bell Fleetnet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking System, Southwest Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

except you won't be able to hear the digital groups (such as OPP) - all you'll hear from them will be noise like from a modem.

MOH should work, it's analog.

Since you list Mississauga as location, you may also want to take a look here:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Mississauga_Fleetnet_Tower

Also some useful info here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ontario/31989-programming-your-pro-96-pro-106-psr-500-fleetnet.html

Last edited:

SuperTex

You can program it to toggle on and off that's one option. Getting more gear is a better option.

I use a pair of 780xlt's to monitor Fleetnet EMS and the analog Fire Departments we have around here. You can get 780's pretty cheap.

I have a 996T dedicated to the local P25 police agency and set on "hold". Kinda a waste yes but I get complete coverage of that agency.

The PSR600's do a combination of Fleetnet towers... I run Edgar 41 on one and Penetang 30 on the other, Plus a few other things, mostly P25 Fire.

I run the 996XT exclusively on Edgar 41. The 396XT runs everything and I toggle what I don't want to hear.

This is just my setup. To hear everything you have to start dedicating scanners to specific tasks.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
I still use a pro-2026 100ch for most analog stuff. Bought It from rs before they changed to source. Reminds me of the beacat 760 I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.