Fleetnet Whitby tower and 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if this is a Fleetnet issue or a Uniden issue, so I thought I'd start here and flip to Uniden if no one else has had this problem.

I was driving along the 401 yesterday, with both my 396XT and 346XT tuned to Fleetnet. The 396 has the digital talkgroups programmed and the 346 is all analog. Well I switched from King City to Mowat towers with no problem, but when I hit Whitby the 396 went quiet; the 346 kept receiving. If I hit hold on the 396 I could hear the control channel rattling away. So I put the 396 in search mode and it started pulling in the analog talkgroups, same as the 346. After a few minutes the digital talkgroups started popping up so I put the 396 back into scan mode. It worked fine after that.

I'm at a loss as to why it would suddenly stop receiving the digital channels for a few minutes while the analog ones were just fine. Has anyone else ever noticed something like this?

Rob

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500FD/V10a Teleca/Q7.1 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Maybe the 396 is deaf. I had both models of the older 246/396 radios and you needed it seemed a decent signal for the 396 to decode the P25 comms. I do remember the 346T being more sensitive than the 396

VA3JWO

the 396 i owned had the same problem where there would be a two to three bar signal and it wouldnt trunk.. when i listened to the control channel.. it had a little bit of static in the background soo i believe the signal strength indicator is a bit off from time to time.. i found if there was any sort of static, it wouldn't trunk
the only way i could fix that was to get a radio shack pro 106 which seems to work better and more sensitive on fleetnet than the uniden digital scanners :p
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.