fleetnet zone 1 NACs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
hey Bros.

Does anyone know the OPP Nacs for the trunked frequencies for zone 1 and do the EMS have different NACS on the same system.

Thanks Much.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
A NAC is broadcast from the site and has nothing to do with the end user.

The first two characters are the last two characters of the system ID.

The last character is the analog Motorola Connect tone for the site.

All Zone 1's NACs start with 2D and the 3rd character changes from area to area depending on the Connect Tone.

Since NAC's are digital, you will never find one on an analog transmission.

SCPD

QRT
OPP fleetnet NAC

Yes you are correct on all, do you know what the NAC is for OPP Fleetnet trunk frequencies in Zone 1?

A NAC is broadcast from the site and has nothing to do with the end user.

The first two characters are the last two characters of the system ID.

The last character is the analog Motorola Connect tone for the site.

All Zone 1's NACs start with 2D and the 3rd character changes from area to area depending on the Connect Tone.

Since NAC's are digital, you will never find one on an analog transmission.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The connect tone will be different for every tower - there are only five or six tones, so you will see 2D0 to 2D5. But only when you are listening to voice channels directly instead of listening to the actual trunk system "properly".

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
The connect tone will be different for every tower

The Connect Tone will usually be the same for towers in one geographic area.

With a large number of sites, many Fleetnet sites share the same Connect Tone.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
So....... what your saying i guess is with 782d as the system ID and 105.88 as the connect tone
the NAC should be 2d0 ?

Yes, all digital users on that site will show a NAC of 2d0.

Doesn't matter whether it's OPP or MNR or MTO Enforcement. They'll all have the same NAC.

Jay911

Feed Provider
The Connect Tone will usually be the same for towers in one geographic area.

With a large number of sites, many Fleetnet sites share the same Connect Tone.

No.. not every site will have the same connect tone.

By definition, since as I already said there is only a handful of tones (and as is obvious, there are many handfuls of sites), multiple sites use the same connect tone. However, where sites share the same frequencies as another, as they often do in the Ontario Fleetnet system, they cannot use the same connect tone.

I guarantee you all sites aren't 105.88.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
THE NAC IS 2D4 and for the Niagara Regional Police it's 293
Steve

The NAC for all digital users on the site will be 2d4, not just the OPP. The radios on the site will use the NAC broadcast from the control channel to access the voice channel.

NAC's for conventional systems like Niagara Region are totally different.

The NAC is programmed into the radio.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
No.. not every site will have the same connect tone.

By definition, since as I already said there is only a handful of tones (and as is obvious, there are many handfuls of sites), multiple sites use the same connect tone. However, where sites share the same frequencies as another, as they often do in the Ontario Fleetnet system, they cannot use the same connect tone.

I guarantee you all sites aren't 105.88.

You need to reread what I said.

I never said that every site will have the same Connect Tone.

I said that towers in the same geographic area usually share the same connect tone. This is possible since they tend to not reuse frequencies on sites close together.

I never said that all the towers use the same Connect Tone.

I can also guarantee that Fleetnet sites don't all use 105.88hz.

SCPD

QRT
fleetnet NAC

so...................... I guess we know Fleetnet Zone 1 digital talkgroups trunked are 2D0 and niagara regional police conventional digitals , encrypted, but 2d4 .

cheers

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
No.

We know that Fleetnet Zone 1 sites all start with 2D and end with a number from 0 to 7. Apparently the Niagara sites use a 4.

We also know that the Niagara Regional Police Service conventional repeaters use 293 but that really doesn't have anything to do with the original question.

Jay911

Feed Provider
so...................... I guess we know Fleetnet Zone 1 digital talkgroups trunked are 2D0 and niagara regional police conventional digitals , encrypted, but 2d4 .

There's a couple of things that need to be cleared up here.

(1) Conventional NAC has a different purpose than trunked NAC. Conventional NAC like Saint was mentioning for Niagara Regional Police is the digital equivalent of CTCSS/DCS on an analog conventional channel - it is transmitted along with the audio, to identify the user in a general sense. It's possible to have different "channels" on the same frequency if you use different NACs, same as you can have different channels on the same analog frequency if one user (group) is using, say, CTCSS 107.3, and the other is using CTCSS 151.4.

(1a) NAC 293 is the default NAC in many/most radios' P25 channel programming - Motorola definitely, others I don't know. Some say "NAC 293 is the equivalent of analog CSQ" but that's not quite the truth. If you see NAC 293, the person programming the channels didn't bother to move away from the default settings.

(2) Trunked NAC exists on the frequency for the trunk system, not the talkgroup. NACs do not change on a trunk system from talkgroup to talkgroup. Every frequency at a given site is going to have the same NAC, regardless of what talkgroup it's currently carrying.

The system ID (four-digit hexadecimal identifier) for Fleetnet zone 1 is 782D. As mentioned previously, in systems like Fleetnet (Smartzone and Smartzone Omnilink systems), the NAC of a site frequency is the last two digits of the system ID - in this case, 2D, and a number representing the Connect Tone. There are eight different Connect Tones, as described here: Motorola - The RadioReference Wiki - so a site on Fleetnet Z1 that has a Connect Tone of 97.3 will show a NAC of 2D4.

Connect Tone and trunked site NAC have very little meaning to the average scanner user. The scanners don't need them in order to track the system, and when you are using the scanner in trunking mode, they don't even show up. Only if you stop on a trunk site voice frequency in conventional mode will you see a NAC displayed.

The purpose of a NAC in a trunk system is so that the system (and subscriber radios) can tell if a given frequency belongs to one site or another. As I was trying to explain earlier in the thread, systems re-use frequencies across their network, so 138.945 might be on site 21, but also on site 52. Those two sites would have different connect tones, so that a radio would know to disregard any traffic on 138.945 (if it could hear it) unless its NAC matched the proper values for the site the radio is affiliated (logged on) to.

As I said, most scanner users will have no use for the trunked NAC. If you're trying to identify talkgroups, they're already in the database.. if you have talkgroups that aren't in the DB and you want to know who is using them, one of the best ways is to run a trunking analyzer (Unitrunker or Trunk88, or the HomePatrol scanner in Extreme mode) and see which radio IDs are transmitting on that talkgroup. Generally you will be able to spot a pattern between known talkgroups (and radio users) and the unknowns. Example: if talkgroup 32768 is known to be a police traffic unit channel and radio 40991 is talking on it, and you have unidentified talkgroup 2880 which also has radio 40991 talking on it, you can be pretty certain it's a police talkgroup, and mildly certain it might have something to do with traffic (but not always).

SCPD

QRT
fleetnet NAC

Yep , so..... believing radio reference as Fleetnet zone 1 have a connect tone of 105.88 - then
i guess the Peel, Ham, Fonthill, Toronto should al have a the same connect tone?

so the NAC for the trunked freqs should be 2d2 ?

thanks much

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Once again, no.

Fleetnet does not use 105.88hz across the entire zone despite what the database might say.

As stated before, the Connect Tone will be 2Dx where x is a number from 0 to 7.

Jay911

Feed Provider
The RR database says the connect tone is 105.88, but that's not for every site. The RR database is a little flawed in that you see a connect tone on the front page of a system which has multiple sites. Rarely would the same CT be used for the entire system.

Someone closer to the system would be able to explain whether or not those towers you mentioned have the same connect tones. They might, or they might not, depending how the system was designed and laid out.

Again, there's very little reason for a regular scanner user to care about the trunk NACs.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Even a system user doesn't need to care about NAC's snce they are not programmed into the radios.

The only reason for somebody to really care about NAC's is if they were programming a scanner or commercial radio with the trunk frequencies in as conventional channels.

Even then, the NAC really wouldn't be needed if you did it right.

SCPD

QRT
fleetnet NAC

ok, thanks so much mr O,

i wonder if someone on here have one of those supped up home patrols that can read the NACs or connect tones and list them on here?

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.