Fleetnet Zone 1 - tower ghosts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockblock

Hey folks, I have a question re: Bell Fleetnet Zone 1 towers coverage:

I live in the East end of GTA, very close to the 37WHIT tower. For some reason, I pick up a few TGRPs that belong to GTA, but are showing as 20WNDR & 17ESSX sites - these sites are about 400km away, so I assume they are not real, just ghosts?

I currently have the entire Fleetnet Zone 1 loaded and enabled, so if I were to disable the Central & Southwestern sites and just leave the GTA ones on (say 37WHIT/39KING/09BRIT/40MOWT), will that eliminate the "ghosts"? Will I be missing out on stuff? Also, will that improve reception and eliminate any potential conflicts/overlaps?

Thx

dhollands

I believe Fleetnet reuses frequencies on towers that are far enough away from each other. I checked RRDB 40Mowat on Toronto and 17ESSX both have 142.905 as a control channel. Your are hearing the 40Mowat tower.

gary123

I believe Fleetnet reuses frequencies on towers that are far enough away from each other. I checked RRDB 40Mowat on Toronto and 17ESSX both have 142.905 as a control channel. Your are hearing the 40Mowat tower.

yes they do, sometimes the main tower freq on one site is the secondary tower freq on another. If there is an inversion you can often the doubling on the weaker site.

VE3RADIO

The PSR800 does not check site ID and will blindly name the Whitby tower as Windsor as they share the same control channel. Lock out Windsor and Essex and you will see the correct sites of Whitby and Mowat (Toronto).

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

There was a flaky guy on here a few years ago who used to boast that his dad was on police boards and the like; he was "connected" and liked to brag about it. He moved from Sudbury to Mississauga and could not understand why; in a basement he was hearing the Windsor tower. He did not understand that his scanner was actually receiving Mowat; a understandable scenerio. Your scanner Roadblock, can't differentiate between towers. On my old 396T you heard stop on the control channel and it would show the tower informatiob I.e. It indica wted that in this case 142.905 was tower #40 Mowat. My HP1 will stop on the control channels it hears and does not know that this tower is in Toronto and not Windsor. Like Matt said your scanner is similiar to the HP1 in this instance. And finally the Fleetnet system recycles frequencies all over the place: Dyers Bay/Primrose, Mississauga/London/ and Kimberley. It is best to lock out the towers that you have no chance of hearing, the less channels your scanner has to go thru the better chance you will be able to pick up and hold on conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.