• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Fleetsync GPS Data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki4gyw

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone use the GPS tracking through FleetSync? I am ready to write some code to load the GPS location and responses into a backend spatial database for geographic information systems integration (GIS Servers). I need some serial port dumps to help with the parsing of the data response. I know it uses the NMEA sentences for the location just need to understand the full packet burst. Also If anyone knows if the NXDN system sends the same type of sentence or a different sentence that would be a great help.

Any help would be appreciated...

baycomm

Fleetsync & NXDN GPS

I believe that the GPS data output is the same on both NXDN and Fleetsysnc.

I can feed you some of the data from our AVL system . Please PM me to discuss.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I have my NX-700 sending out GPS in NXDN. I captured a couple of different strings on my portable. For NXDN, the receiving radio can be set up to spit out different strings. You can have only standard NEMA ( $GPGGA, $GPGLL, or $GPRMC) or special Kenwood strings that include GPS plus other things like unit ID, radio status etc. Multiple combinations can be selected for the receiving radio. If you want only GPS, your parsing will have to reject everything up to the NEMA preamble. Below is a shot of just NEMA output and then Kenwoods string with the NEMA appended to the end.

I do not have this set up as Fleetsync data, but the options in programming software are not the same as NXDN. I can't say the Fleetsync data is NEMA only, or if there is extra overhead in the string (which i assume is there). Maybe if I get a bug on I'll switch to analog and Fleetsync and see what come out...

Attachments

• DataDumpPic.jpg
    DataDumpPic.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,214

ki4gyw

Premium Subscriber
Gps

I think right now I just want the NMEA with a unit id. Status and all of that can come later
on the PKNDS I take it the U00201 is the unit id?

Last edited:

ki4gyw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks,
I'm fixing to start working on ingesting the data.
I hope to integrate the Kenwood stuff with my GIS Weather / GIS application soon.

Attachments

• tracking.jpg
    tracking.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,027

wwwabbit

Thanks,
I'm fixing to start working on ingesting the data.
I hope to integrate the Kenwood stuff with my GIS Weather / GIS application soon.
Good Day,

Just wondering how you made out on this, and if you developed anything? The SAR group I work with just got 6 Kenwood NX200's with GPS mics. Looking for software options.
Email me if you don't mind. techy*AT*shaw*dot*ca
Thanks!
~Brian

GEOANDDRAKE

I have my NX-700 sending out GPS in NXDN. I captured a couple of different strings on my portable. For NXDN, the receiving radio can be set up to spit out different strings. You can have only standard NEMA ( $GPGGA, $GPGLL, or $GPRMC) or special Kenwood strings that include GPS plus other things like unit ID, radio status etc. Multiple combinations can be selected for the receiving radio. If you want only GPS, your parsing will have to reject everything up to the NEMA preamble. Below is a shot of just NEMA output and then Kenwoods string with the NEMA appended to the end.

I do not have this set up as Fleetsync data, but the options in programming software are not the same as NXDN. I can't say the Fleetsync data is NEMA only, or if there is extra overhead in the string (which i assume is there). Maybe if I get a bug on I'll switch to analog and Fleetsync and see what come out...

Hi Ramal121, I am new here, now I am working in NX-3720 configuration, but I like to know how you can get the GPS information to PC?, please help me with this issue

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the com port you're using is set to GPS + Data Out under Optional Features

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
Good Day,

Just wondering how you made out on this, and if you developed anything? The SAR group I work with just got 6 Kenwood NX200's with GPS mics. Looking for software options.
Email me if you don't mind. techy*AT*shaw*dot*ca
Thanks!
~Brian

I am with the Placer County (California) Sheriff's Search and Rescue Communications Unit, and we are using software that was created, using Python, developed by a member of our neighboring Nevada County. There are actually two programs that work together, SARtopo.com (there is an offline version of this as well) and Radiolog, available at https://github.com/ncssar/radiolog . We have installed a TK-7180 in our communications truck and have connected it to our primary dispatch computer to receive FleetSync data. The Radiolog software is what we are using to document all communications during a search. When a unit calls in, it will automatically flag what team the radio calling in on is assigned to and timestamps and geolocates the calling radio. Simultaneously, it sends this location to SARtopo, leaving a "crumb trail" on the map. For those of us in Placer County, what I'm detailing is theoretical but will hopefully become fact this weekend. I am programming our TK-7180 in the truck and 25 TK-2170 portables on Friday. We have, I believe, 12 GPS microphones for the TK-2170 portables. We have a training exercise up in the snow this weekend (there is supposed to be several new feet of snow between now and then).

Because Nevada County and Placer County are neighboring counties, plus we have another SAR organization in Placer County (Tahoe Nordic SAR) and we are all using Nevada County's software (I've modified Radiolog to personalize it for Placer), we are trying to coordinate our Kenwood radios to allow us to work together when mutual aid is required. Each team will be on a different fleet ID and each team will coordinate their own device IDs, but all will set their GPS target to "100-1001." I believe Tuolumne County is also on-board, although there are a couple counties in between us. As we have TK-2170 portables, it looks like it will force everyone to adopt the original FleetSync over FleetSync II... Nevada County has been using TK-2180s that support FleetSync II and have been using it. We are still trying to determine whether we should use 1200 baud or 2400 baud. We are using Caller ID on both BOT and EOT with GPS sending $PKLDS on the EOT as well.

I am hoping for everything to run relatively smoothly as we transition in with this on Saturday.

k4r0sh1

I am with the Placer County (California) Sheriff's Search and Rescue Communications Unit, and we are using software that was created, using Python, developed by a member of our neighboring Nevada County. There are actually two programs that work together, SARtopo.com (there is an offline version of this as well) and Radiolog, available at https://github.com/ncssar/radiolog . We have installed a TK-7180 in our communications truck and have connected it to our primary dispatch computer to receive FleetSync data. The Radiolog software is what we are using to document all communications during a search. When a unit calls in, it will automatically flag what team the radio calling in on is assigned to and timestamps and geolocates the calling radio. Simultaneously, it sends this location to SARtopo, leaving a "crumb trail" on the map. For those of us in Placer County, what I'm detailing is theoretical but will hopefully become fact this weekend. I am programming our TK-7180 in the truck and 25 TK-2170 portables on Friday. We have, I believe, 12 GPS microphones for the TK-2170 portables. We have a training exercise up in the snow this weekend (there is supposed to be several new feet of snow between now and then).

Because Nevada County and Placer County are neighboring counties, plus we have another SAR organization in Placer County (Tahoe Nordic SAR) and we are all using Nevada County's software (I've modified Radiolog to personalize it for Placer), we are trying to coordinate our Kenwood radios to allow us to work together when mutual aid is required. Each team will be on a different fleet ID and each team will coordinate their own device IDs, but all will set their GPS target to "100-1001." I believe Tuolumne County is also on-board, although there are a couple counties in between us. As we have TK-2170 portables, it looks like it will force everyone to adopt the original FleetSync over FleetSync II... Nevada County has been using TK-2180s that support FleetSync II and have been using it. We are still trying to determine whether we should use 1200 baud or 2400 baud. We are using Caller ID on both BOT and EOT with GPS sending $PKLDS on the EOT as well.

I am hoping for everything to run relatively smoothly as we transition in with this on Saturday.

This could be of interest for you

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfc7kxxx0dj78ns/KDK_User_Guide.pdf?dl=0

it works for FleetSync and Nexedge

Status
Not open for further replies.