FlexRadio Systems has new "very smart" Antenna Tuner coming 3rd Qtr. 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
While I do own the FlexRadio Systems FLEX-6500 HF transceiver, I have no other affiliations with FlexRadio Systems. I just wanted to point out a "very smart" Antenna Tuner called the Tuner Genius XL (TGXL) that FlexRadio Systems just announced.
Tuner Genius XL.jpg

Quoting from the Flex Insider April 2021 just received today with FlexRadio System's permission:

Coming soon to a shack near you!
It’s here! The only HF tuner that seamlessly works in an SO2R environment. The Tuner Genius XL (TGXL) has a planned general availability release for 3Q21 and will be available in both an SO2R and 1x3 antenna configurations. Fully integrated with the Power Genius XL RF amplifier, the Antenna Genius, and all FLEX-6000 series HF transceivers, the Tuner Genius XL can be operated fully automatic or in a manual mode. The TGXL typically tunes within 2 to 12 milliseconds for quick use and switches between stored memory locations within 15 milliseconds, far outperforming other tuners on the market. With a touch-sensitive color screen display, you can control all functions on the front panel, or from a Windows application. In addition, the Tuner Genius XL provides a state-of-the-art integrated Watt/SWR meter that works in both Operate and Bypass modes. And don’t just take our word for it. Here is what K1UO, had to say about the Tuner Genius during recent beta testing.

“I have one of the first 1X3 antenna port equipped Tuner Genius products from FlexRadio. I can tell you it is built like a tank, finds a tuning solution very fast, and integrates with all amateur manufacturers. It really shines with my FLEX-6600 radio and PGXL amplifier combo for a fast, accurate, and powerful solution to my multi-band vertical. It can be programmed to automatically bypass segments of all my so-called resonant antennas also, making the entire antenna system variations seem invisible to the radio and amp.”
- Larry K1UO
The full story can be found at this URL on the FlexRadio Systems website with an excellent YouTube video on the TGXL.

If I could get that and the legal limit amplifier that they have along with a few other Flex-related peripherals, I would be in Heaven!!!

73, Dave K4EET

P.S. Keep in mind that this is a "very smart" antenna tuner that allows for use in an 1x3 or SO2R environment. It carries a fairly hefty price tag of $2,199 USD to $2,499 USD depending on configuration. That is actually not a bad price when you fully understand what all this tuner can do within a decked-out FlexRadio Systems HF radio system. Probe around the FlexRadio Systems website for Amateur Radio equipment and you will better understand the complexity of the system that is made fairly simple through the various well thought-out user interfaces.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Interesting, but its expensive for a switching tuner, for less money you can get a Palstar with physical variable components.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
The idea behind the Flex radio system is intriguing and is pretty much the gold standard as far as SDR radios are concerned. The only thing that would likely hold me back is it’s total reliance on the Windows OS and that’s a deal breaker for me. At the moment, I’m keeping things simple with an Elecraft KX3 as I operate primarily CW and with Cycle 25 finally beginning to wake up, QRP should be fun again.

SuperG900

WG5ENE
"The TGXL typically tunes within 2 to 12 milliseconds for quick use and switches between stored memory locations within 15 milliseconds,"

Heh - looks like that "stored memory location" might just be superfluous, given its speed....:ROFLMAO:

RocketNJ

Will be getting my Tuner Genius as soon as I drive down to the UPS hub today. it will be used with the Flex 6600M, Power Genius XL, and 4O3A 2x8 antenna switch for true SO2R operation with 1 radio, 1 amp and 1 tuner. The nice thing is for CW and SSB I can run without the need for Windows. There are also MAC and IOS clients for those that hate Windows.

Not cheap but when you look at an SO2R setup using a pair of K3S, KPA1500 amps and necessary switching equipment, the Flex solution is a cleaner install (less cabling) and about the same in pricing, if not less.

Ahh the fun of ham radio. There is something for everyone. Use what you like and not what you are told to use.

Dave

prcguy

The 500w Elecraft tuner does just about everything this new Flex tuner does, including tuning wtihout even transmitting when coupled with an Elecraft radio. It remembers tuning solutions and when you change freq it reads where the radio is and tunes before you can even hit the mic button. Its got an accurate power and swr meter, three output ports and it remembers which one to use on each band, etc. Plus its remote controlled with free software.

BTW, the Elecraft KPA1500 has a built in tuner but only rated for 3:1 at full power. For those that have reasonable antennas you don't need any other tuner with a KPA1500.

RocketNJ

I had the KPA1500 and sold it to my friend a couple of months ago. For an all Elecraft solution it is great. Even very good with other radios. Only reason for upgrade was for SO2R station setup.

So if you look at Elecraft SO2R two K3S and I'll be conservative of $3000 each, two KPA1500s at $6000 each, that is $18000.

The Flex 6600M is $5000, PG XL, $7000, and TG XL so2r tuner $2500. That is $14500, $3500 less than Elecraft. More importantly the cabling for SO2R with Flex is plug them in an Ethernet switch, then just two RF cables from radio to amp, two RF cables from amp to tuner and two RF cables from tuner to 2x8 switch.

The Elecraft K3S is an excellent CW radio and good SSB radio. Digital and other software requires third party software to share the single com port. Also limited with IF out for panadapter and Skimmer decoder. Flex has CAT and DAX which makes interfacing to digital software, logbook, PSTRotator, etc a piece of cake. I can bring up two panadapters with 14 MHz bandwidth each. This allows me to quickly see which bands are open.

What it boils down to is how do you want to operate and which solution has the best ergonomics for you. Neither is right or wrong.

What I do find interesting is how the FTdx-101D is touted as the "best" receiving radio but you consistently see people selling them on QTH. Again boils down to ergonomics.

Most important thing is to enjoy whatever you buy and get on the air, make contacts, make new friends, and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.