Flight for life/air life question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Are the coppers all ALS? Or is there one certain one they send to thoes? Or am I way off and they don't put one of standby if it's not an ALS case?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Are the coppers all ALS? Or is there one certain one they send to thoes? Or am I way off and they don't put one of standby if it's not an ALS case?

Medical Helicopters are staffed with experienced flight nurses and paramedics, flying at the ALS level. Hopefully they don't fly BLS pts very often.

Jim<

fairrpe86

I am not quite sure what you are asking byt this but...I assume its the same for both but I know with AirLife they have the pilot and then two flight nurses that are both RN's with multiple other certifications. They have an agreement that if a call comes into one of the agencies and they are busy or the other agency has a chopper that is closer, they will pass the call off. It is all in the matter of the safety of the patient. Basically the two agencies provide the same level of care but they are owned by two different companies.

cstockmyer

I was just curious if there was one chopper that was just ALS or if they all are. I have family in grand lake, they often talk about someone who was taken from there to Denver via chopper, I just thought it was easier and faster then going via bus for BLS people.

By the way, why do Flight for life and Air life have buses?

Thanks again Jim!

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
I was just curious if there was one chopper that was just ALS or if they all are. I have family in grand lake, they often talk about someone who was taken from there to Denver via chopper, I just thought it was easier and faster then going via bus for BLS people.

If you're willing to pay thousands of dollars for your BLS transport I'm sure the helicopter services would be happy to help.

By the way, why do Flight for life and Air life have buses?

Just another name for ambulances, started in NYC I believe all the ambs there are called busses, the FFL & AL busses are actually CCT Critical Care Transport units and basically offer the services of a helicopter on wheels especially helpful for bad weather conds like L/G 2 (Frisco) especially faces more that 50% of the time in the winter months.

Jim<

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Also, the enourmous cost of operating an air ambulance (medivac helicopter) would make it impractical to use it for BLS patient transport, no matter what the speed and ease.

cstockmyer

Thanks again Jim. Sorry most the time I catch my self and say ambulance not bus, way to much time spent with DPD officers lol.

fairrpe86

The CCT's also do a lot of inter facility transfers to keep them busy and cost worthy. As Jim mentioned, it wouldnt be cost effective for patient to have a chopper fly them but if an agency requests a chopper, they will fly no matter the injuries if the department thinks they are too far out and the situation could potentially become more dangerous and go out of their level of care they are able to provide.

cl

Now that I posted the question, Advance Life Support / Basic Life support?
C

Status
Not open for further replies.