FlightAware and helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

Does FlightAware track helicopters?

Even though it seems to track only planes, I thought I would ask here to make sure.

Thanks,

tjwgrr

Does FlightAware track helicopters?

Even though it seems to track only planes, I thought I would ask here to make sure.

Thanks,

Yes, but only if they've filed a flight plan. Same is true for fixed wing a/c.

Here is one of the University of Michigan's Survival Flight helicopters and one of Grand Rapids Spectrum Health Aero Med helicopters for example:
N155UM
N176BA

QDP2012

Is there a flight tracking service that tracks helicopters which have not filed a flight plan? ...like medical helicopters, etc.

Thanks again,

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Is there a flight tracking service that tracks helicopters which have not filed a flight plan? ...like medical helicopters, etc.

Thanks again,

Flightradar24.com tracks pretty much any aircraft with a supported transponder regardless of flight plan. That's what I use.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
webtrak.bksv.com for my area (Sacramento, CA) tracks in my opinion a whole lot more than any of the other flight radars online. It's intended use is for noise complaints.

D

DaveNF2G

I use virtual radar and most helicopters do not transmit location data via ADS-B. I've often wondered why it is not required for aeromedical flights to do so at least.

QDP2012

...I've often wondered why it is not required for aeromedical flights to do so at least.

Apparently, helicopters that fly "Line Patrol" duty along power-lines don't file flight plans either, which seems like a security-risk.

I saw N828HA flying in Albemarle, but the link to FlightAware seems to show the last flight plan filed was in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.