FlightRadar24 missing aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgiercyk

I am located in the flight path to KGDC, and the area is heavy with student pilots and other small aircraft for KGDC and nearby KGMU. Lately, I've noticed that more times than not, when I see a plane in the pattern overhead, I do not see it on FlightRadar24. It seems like that never used to happen. Is it possible that there has been a loss of coverage in my area recently? Would adding a tracking station at my location help? Does anyone have experience with a FlightRadar24 tracking station, and is it worth the trouble? Thanks in advance.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Flightradar24 did not track military aircraft, certain government aircraft, or corporate/personal aircraft that applied for a confidentiality exemption. I am not certain that this is still the case, but it is why I stopped using them several years ago.

w2xq

Mentor
For Android, look in the Play Store for ADSB Flight Tracker. It is a marvelous app that, unlike FlightAware, shows everything in the air. That includes the military flights going into the local AFB, police/EMS and private helicopters.

ATCTech

Check your FR24 settings to make sure you have ADSB, ATC radar , satellite and MLAT selected. Not all aicraft, especially small private type are going to have ADSB capability. Some web site may have all modes turned on facing the web user by default, others may not.

1619651690609.png

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Would adding a tracking station at my location help? Does anyone have experience with a FlightRadar24 tracking station, and is it worth the trouble?

I have a Flightradar24 receiver and I live near the short final for KVNW runway 27. It helps when they have more receivers and with my receiver I'm able to track ground traffic at the airport. With them giving a free setups for the receiver, antenna and cable there isn't any cost other than a little bit of electricity and your internet connection. Plus you get a free business plan as long as your receiver is feeding data.

Mike

KF6DGN

Premium Subscriber

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
For Android, look in the Play Store for ADSB Flight Tracker. It is a marvelous app that, unlike FlightAware, shows everything in the air. That includes the military flights going into the local AFB, police/EMS and private helicopters.
FWIW I installed it this morning, but it failed upon startup: wasn't able to establish a data connection to whatever source it uses. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

I continue to use adsbexchange mobile and I still think it's the best. I privately track mil aircraft using a system of my own design and adsbexchange is always consistent with my results.

ind224

I'm still running xp and chrome 52 on a pc at home. As a penalty with recent updates FR24 did I lost the ability to log in weather overlay and since I can't log in the ads and screen clutter are back pre subscription. It says logged in but I'm not.
Meanwhile on my Galaxy S9 Plus it works like a charm I see it in the sky I try to find it and it's usually there. I have recently noticed more mil AC including transients and tankers but fighters not joining the fun which would be cool especially if we get venue flyovers back. Used to be no mil stuff showed at all. I applied for an FR24 receiver set up and was denied no reason given several years back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425-193804_Flightradar24.jpg
    Screenshot_20210425-193804_Flightradar24.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 18

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I use ADSBx the most for pure aircraft data. FR24 for flight information. And FA for scheduling. A combo of all three seems to do the trick for finding out pretty much anything you want to. FR24/FA uses personal feeders as well as FAA data (which requires restriction). ADSBx uses purely user fed data and refuses to restrict anything. All the above rely on data feeds from "somewhere." If there's no data incoming, there is no output on your screen regardless of who you use and why. The only sure way to catch things in your area is setup a feeder yourself. Even with an indoor little antenna you can pick up way more than you think. Plus the free subscription is nice.

I feed FR24 and ADSBX from a $50 Pi (mine is fancy, some can be cheaper) in a side room. Any new data is useful in my opinion.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Just has his transponder turned off. May not have it turned on to work the pattern.

Even though not required for low Class E airspace, I don't think you can turn off ADS-B out. I remember seeing some type of exception if requested by ATC due to clutter or something but, I was under the impression that if you have it; ADS-B out has to be on and functioning (with exceptions for milair and etc). Perhaps someone else can chime in?

Also; the closest flight school to here always transmits. Even if it's just one single plane in non required airspace. I would assume other than FAA requirement's; you wouldn't want to disable it simply due to the safety features it provides.

Clear4Code7

I believe US aircraft should now always be transmitting ADS-B when in controlled airspace or within the 30nm veil of a Class B (though best practice is to have it on regardless of airspace).

For some older aircraft that had ADS-B retrofitted, it's powered by the nav lights. So the pilot may have simply forgot to turn it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.