FlightRadar24 VS FlightAware

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this is not in the correct section.

I am currently tracking an FlightAware, aircraft (N917TL) which is a Cessna Citation V for Cooks Childrens Medical Center / Teddy Bear Air. I searched it by the tail number and it brought up the information (To/From airport, Time departed, expected time of arrival, live tracking, ect.) however, when I searched for it on FlightRadar24, it shows "Sorry, but we could not find flights for specified aircraft in our databases". I noted where the aircraft was at on FlightAware and found it on the live air traffic map on FlightRadar24 (Callsign: C560 / Alt&Speed: FL028 154) under the flight status is shows "N/A" the only thing showing is the Alt, Speed, Squak, Lat, & Long. I just did the week trial for FlightRadar24. What is yall's opinions on FLightRadar24 vs FlightAware?

I love both. I'll follow-up tomorrow with a more detailed explication but FR24 filters out most business, general, and military/VIP aviation movements.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I love both. I'll follow-up tomorrow with a more detailed explication but FR24 filters out most business, general, and military/VIP aviation movements.

So that leaves the airlines? That seems silly, they are filtering out some of the most sought info.

Sent via Tapatalk

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
But sadly with all the media hype of Aerial Surv of the past few years, many of the good flights [still hear them on FM, P25] are not broadcasting as much.

What do you mean "still hear them on FM, P25"? I didn't think P25 fit in anywhere with Aviation. I'm almost positive I missed something.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
He is talking about aerial surveillance by FBI and other such aircraft. Those freqs wouldn't appear on FA or the ADS-B exchange, only the aircraft movement themselves and their callsigns.

ecps92

The flights I am interested in also have FM and P25 Operations they are supporting. :wink:

Secretive government surveillance flights common over Mass.
FBI flies secret surveillance aircraft over Boston, other cities
5 Investigates: Government surveillance planes spotted over Mass.
Mystery plane followed bombing suspect for months

for the longest time, were available, now they have begun to Not regularly appear
What do you mean "still hear them on FM, P25"? I didn't think P25 fit in anywhere with Aviation. I'm almost positive I missed something.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
ADSBExchange.Com is by far the best to go for tracking aircraft that might otherwise be blocked on FA or FR. Of course, ADSBEX does not have the number of ground stations that the other sites have, yet, and ADSBEX isn't self-sustaining like the other places' business models apparently are. Dan basically funds it himself. So there are hiccups, and when there is nobody has a right to B&M about it.

All people feeding to FA / FR should consider feeding to ADSBEX as well. The more ground stations, the better the coverage -- and as mentioned before, ADSBEX doesn't block any flights.

Mike

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
ADSBExchange.Com is by far the best to go for tracking aircraft that might otherwise be blocked on FA or FR. Of course, ADSBEX does not have the number of ground stations that the other sites have, yet, and ADSBEX isn't self-sustaining like the other places' business models apparently are. Dan basically funds it himself. So there are hiccups, and when there is nobody has a right to B&M about it.

All people feeding to FA / FR should consider feeding to ADSBEX as well. The more ground stations, the better the coverage -- and as mentioned before, ADSBEX doesn't block any flights.

Mike
I could possibly find the answer myself, but I'll ask anyway . . . is ADSBEX available on a mobile platform (cell phones, tablets, etc.)?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
They do have an Android app called "Blip" from aberg.co.nz
In the Play Store, search Blip - Free just as typed with the spaces on either side of the dash.

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
They do have an Android app called "Blip" from aberg.co.nz
In the Play Store, search Blip - Free just as typed with the spaces on either side of the dash.
Thanks. I'll check it out. Probably should have specified Android platform as well. Lazy folks appreciate being spoon-fed. LOL!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Essentially yes, air carrier traffic will be the only types you can get detailed info. on. According to both FR24 and flight aware, this is one for privacy and security of other types.

I use them both to compliment one another. If data isn't available on FR24, I might be able to find it on flight aware.

Keep in mind, coverage might be limited or non-existent in the area you are trying track. This too will result in errors or missing information.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Depending on the area you are monitoring (or not with live internet feeds), I use both. LiveATC for runway configs and general traffic/weather. FR24 for catching aircraft I hear on my airband scanner and watching movement areas / TRACON flows and what not.

They can be both useful in their own way. But if someone is blocked; they're blocked. That's like trying to find Air Force 1 on a flight tracking program. Not gonna happen.

kma371

QRT
But if someone is blocked; they're blocked. That's like trying to find Air Force 1 on a flight tracking program. Not gonna happen.

As stated above, not true. There are tracking sites that do not filter. AF1 is regularly tracked.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
As stated above, not true. There are tracking sites that do not filter. AF1 is regularly tracked.

Should have been more specific. Out of the two programs that were mentioned in the title; no you will not find Airforce 1 with a route from ADW to wherever POTUS is flying that particular day with live updates as they climb / descend and turn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.