Florescent bulb and photo sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
My porch light has a photo sensor so I just leave the light on and it automatically turns off during the day. Well, the bulb burned out and I was wondering if I can use a florescent light bulb in there. I'm sure the circuit uses a TRIAC and I don't need a fire. However, our street lamp post has a photo sensor and I did add a florescent to that. only a 40 watter and it's very bright I was surprised.

Lets say you?

QDP2012

...I guess it's just the dimmers you can't use a florescent bulb in.

Though not inexpensive, there are dimmers for fluorescent-fixtures, like you would mount in-place of a light-switch if you had fluorescent-tube fixtures in the ceiling of a room.

You cannot however use an incandescent dimmer on a fluorescent fixture/bulb. That can cause fires, etc.

Hope this helps,

poltergeisty

Banned
Okay, thanks. Never knew they made a dimmer for florescent bulbs.

I have another question. When I first moved into my house I installed a motion sensor light switch in the utility room so the light goes on automatically when you have a pile of clothes in your hands. Q: Can I install a florescent bulb in that?

QDP2012

Okay, thanks. Never knew they made a dimmer for florescent bulbs.

I have another question. When I first moved into my house I installed a motion sensor light switch in the utility room so the light goes on automatically when you have a pile of clothes in your hands. Q: Can I install a florescent bulb in that?

If I am understanding the scenario correctly, you are wanting to put a "twisty-bulb" (compact flourescent lamp) into a normal (incandescent-type) light-bulb socket, and have that on a motion-sensor on/off switch. -- It sounds like that should be okay, because the switch acts as on-off (not dimmer), just as if you swiped a normal switch with your hand.

One thing to consider is that depending on the ambient temperature in the room, sometimes flourescent bulbs and LED bulbs will initially not be as bright as they will be after they warm up. You can see an example of this if you use CFL bulbs in outdoor light fixtures during cold weather.

In some cases the (brief) decreased brightness can be a hazard especially around stairs, or other trip/fall hazards. -- just a thought.

Hope this helps,

poltergeisty

Banned
Okay, thanks for the confirmation on using a florescent bulb in a motion sensor. That makes since.

I knew about the cold weather quandary. I live in a climate with snow in the winter. I had florescent lights in the garage, it was hell. Inside they are fine. I didn't know that LEDs were affected by the cold too. And to think the Government wants us all to use this crapy things. Nothing beats a good ol' incandescent!

Status
Not open for further replies.