Florida mega-shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I thought this one would be a good one - this shack belongs to Al Stern in Florida - he's a very frequent contributor to the Milcom list....

http://hometown.aol.com/scanaddict/index.html

and of course, George F.'s shack pic on the Milcommchat Yahoo group is another one. Boy do I wish I had the money for a shack like these....73s Mike

M

mpg0515

No KIDDING!

Andruw said:
I wouldn't mind having that many, but what is the reason for having that many?

He must be rich and have a lot of time on his hands!

n4voxgill

Silent Key
He monitors several MILAIR locations. First is the Cape and Canaveral AFB, he monitors the navy bombing range in the Ocala Forrest (pincastle) and he monitors the air force bombing range at avon park. He also covers coast guard both ship and aircraft. Most of his "radios" are locked on a single frequency. This way he doesn't miss parts or even whole transmissions. He also monitors HF frequencies mostly USAF and Coast Guard. When navy carriers are operating off the florida coast he pick them up also.

He is great for sharing his frequencies and has helped others for many years. He is definitely Mr Scanner in Florida. He posts flights of planes as they move into Florida airspace keeping others aware of what is going on.

nexus

I don't think someone needs that many. But some people just don't get rid of old things. Scanner technology is always changing to keep up with newer forms of communication. So my best guess is when a scanner comes out that has new or better capabilities he buys it. But doesn't bother discarding the older ones he owns. After about 10 years or so you begin to build quite a collection.

Most people on this list have more than one portable scanner. I have 3 (PRO-51) (PRO-95) and (Uniden BC-246T) And I'm planning on buying a BC-396T so I can listen to the P16/25 traffic in my area. But I have no intention of selling or getting rid of my older scanners. I keep them (just in case.)

I_10_92

Good thing scanners dont cause cancer, otherwise I'm betting he would be a walking tumor.

moogvo

That is obsurd! If the guy likes communications THAT much, maybe he should get his ham ticket!

cschmit

moogvo said:
That is obsurd! If the guy likes communications THAT much, maybe he should get his ham ticket!

He might like to listen more then he likes to talk, nothing wrong with that.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
All the radios = cool
All of the antennas = a bunch of pissed off neighbors and no respect (if he has neighbors).

Dubbin

Feed Provider
JohnnyGalaga said:
How do people afford all these radios??????????

Buying and trading for something better. Heck I have some radios that I really do not have any money in.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
That's not so much a shack as it is a jumbled mess of scanners. I can see he is serious about monitoring, and I'm peachy with that, but that place is a mess! There must be a limit as to what one guy can use at one time, and I'm sure his setup exceeds that limit. Besides, why have all those handheld scanners?

The outside antenna arrangement is messy and very unprofessional looking. Even as a radio enthusiast, I'd be pissed if he was my neighbor. It's antenna farms like that which give all of us a bad rap in the eyes of the "regular" public.

Status
Not open for further replies.