Floyd County Highway Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbertrand

Does anybody know if the Floyd County Highway Department has switched to a different radio system? I am not hearing anything on the conventional system. You normally do not hear much but normally something comes through when it snows.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Nothing new in the FCC database.

They should still be on 150.995 Mhz unless....

Option 1) They are now on Floyd County's 800 Mhz LTR trunked system

Option 2) They are now on Project Hoosier SAFE-T

Option 3) They are now on one of the area business band trunked or conventional systems

Option 4) They've changed frequencies and/or modes and haven't yet updated their FCC license

jbertrand

Nothing new in the FCC database.

They should still be on 150.995 Mhz unless....

Option 1) They are now on Floyd County's 800 Mhz LTR trunked system

Option 2) They are now on Project Hoosier SAFE-T

Option 3) They are now on one of the area business band trunked or conventional systems

Option 4) They've changed frequencies and/or modes and haven't yet updated their FCC license

Thanks for the reply, I emailed the contact address that I found on the Internet but have not received an answer back yet.

Also I dont think it would be option 1 since I have them programmed in the scanner and not heard anything there. With wildcards on.

Option 2,3,4 are still open. I will have to make sure I turn my SafeT channel with with the wildcard on the next snow we get, it that happens any time soon.

I do know that all of Floyd County is going to be switching to a 800mhz system within the year. I can only guess that it is the SafeT system. At least this applies to police and fire.

jbertrand

I got a reply from the road department, but I am confused by their answer so I asked for an explanation.

I asked if they were still on the conventional system or if they have upgraded to a new system. The reply I got was"YES".

I will wait and see if I get a better response and let you know,

jerk

I got a reply from the road department, but I am confused by their answer so I asked for an explanation.

I asked if they were still on the conventional system or if they have upgraded to a new system. The reply I got was"YES".

I will wait and see if I get a better response and let you know,

My guess is the "got" the old radios, LTR, from the agencies that have switched to Safe-T
Look at old minutes or agendas to see if there is anything posted. Asking/emailing might work, but usually just raises suspicions and give them an excuse to act paranoid, or to encrypt.

Also, just look at one of their trucks when out and about, the antenna should give a better clue.
Also, they could even be on Louisville's system, especially with all the bridge problems.

Last edited:

jerk

More info here - <http://newsandtribune.com/local/x1612761448/Spickert-Knob-Road-to-reopen-Dec-15>

And this: <http://newsandtribune.com/business/x229367509/Floyd-commissioners-considering-deal-for-new-police-radios>
My guess is they have the old LTR radios, but one article referenced a trade-in, so they could be on Safe-T, it will come down to careful listening on 800 MHz.

Last edited:

jbertrand

All that I have been able to figure out so far is that they use Motorola CM200 radios. Still trying to get more information.

jerk

All that I have been able to figure out so far is that they use Motorola CM200 radios. Still trying to get more information.

Ok that narrow it down to VHF or UHF, try old abandoned frequencies, they used to have a couple in 453 MHz area, again antenna length will help, even if you just swing by the County garage and eyeball the antenna on the trucks. That will help to narrow down the band.

All I see new is: 150.9950 FB2 and mobile 156.0450
Make sure you do a scan for a new PL code

Last edited:

jbertrand

I am guessing the switch is to comply with the Narrow banding that is taking place. I dont understand a lot about it so maybe you can help. I guess if they did narrow band you dont just subtract sum magic number to get a new frequency? Also to search for a new frequency on the conventional system I would do a stalker search on my Pro 106?

Thanks for all the help

jerk

I am guessing the switch is to comply with the Narrow banding that is taking place. I dont understand a lot about it so maybe you can help. I guess if they did narrow band you dont just subtract sum magic number to get a new frequency? Also to search for a new frequency on the conventional system I would do a stalker search on my Pro 106?

Thanks for all the help

I have a frequency counter, but the Unden 396 and Signal Stalker makes that unnecessary. I've been known to "hang out" in the area when looking for a target frequency, my job allowed it at times, but I would happen to eat in the same area etc.

But the good thing is the temp freq lockout, just scan and lock out that which is not highway related that should give you some good possibilities. Narrow-banding does not always mean changing frequencies, but if monitoring with the old PL tone, try it off or scan for new one, that may have changed as well. And try adding all the input frequencies too.

Also, these guys probably don’t use the radio much except for chit-chat, may be suing cell phones more.

jbertrand

Well i finally got an answer. The road department thought I wanted to sell them radios so they sent me to the county planning director. But he did tell me that they are using frequencies of 154.4975 and.159.6075. I did a search on the FCC website and it come back to the County Water Department.

I have not heard much on the frequencies yet but did catch a little talk the other evening and it did sound like it would be the read department and not the water department.

Also I finally did get to see a truck and the antenna appears to be just over a foot tall, and just looks like a wire is sticking up.

I will continue to listen to make sure that this is actually the road department on these frequencies and post back with any new findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.