Flying with scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

claymac44

Has anyone had any problems flying with a scanner?
We plan on driving across the county and then flying back.
Is there anything we need to be aware of?

KD4YGG

Database Admin
claymac44 said:
Has anyone had any problems flying with a scanner?
We plan on driving across the county and then flying back.
Is there anything we need to be aware of?

A few hints / suggestions:
- Pack in your carry-on luggage
- Place in weather radio mode in case you have to turn on and demonstrate to TSA
- Pack the antenna, cables, adapters, etc in a plastic bag / container
- PACK THE MANUAL along with the scanner to help explain if asked
- Use discretely in waiting areas with headphone / earphone
- Don't use on board

Most of all - enjoy the trip and the scanning!!!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
No problems flying with one in either a carryon or checked luggage. You'll need to demonstrate that it works to TSA if you carry on, much like any other device (cell phone, laptop, etc). Using it in the air is generally a no-no, most airlines will not allow it. To be honest, on the one flight I took that DID allow me to use it, I didn't pick up anything other than the pilots themselves. The plane was too well shielded to allow for listening to much else.

-AZ

Steveradio

I kept mine in bag and had no problems, Even had time to listen at the airport but make sure you have frequencies ready before getting to airport if available, Print them up and place in bag with scanner. Spent more time trying to figure out what our airline service was on missed other traffic.

brandon

Database Admin
I've traveled with 3 radios and an Icom R75 had no problems at all. Good luck.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I've travelled with scanners for years and only had one problem. That was with a jerk of a TSA agent who told me they were illegal. I had him get a supervisor, problem solved.

Early on, I carried scanners and digital camera(s) in a carry on bag. Now I carry the scanners in a vest. Take the vest off going through the inspection and never had a question asked.

Basically, and this has already been stated, don't use on the plane. If you listen to it in the terminal, be discrete.

Just have a list of frequencies from the RRDB for the airports you'll be traveling through. Hopefully not USAir through Charlotte, they use Nextel and we can't hear them. :(

460-461, 465-466, some 462 channels are used by a lot of airlines for their terminal operations (ticket agents, maintenance, etc). Makes interesting listening. Just set up a search.

Status
Not open for further replies.