FM Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertime7

I know this isn't the right place to ask this question, but maybe some of you could help me out with an answer anyhow.

I live in a building that has a lot of metal and I receive poor (regular radio) FM reception.

I want to hook up the FM radio to the cablevision outlet on the wall. Do I need any special type of slitter to pick up the FM radio?

I tried hooking the wire from the wall to the F connector on the radio and all I got was a loud hum. I don't know if there is a problem with the wire or something else is needed to be attached to the outlet.

Thank you all for your patience on this.

N

N_Jay

hammertime7 said:
I know this isn't the right place to ask this question, but maybe some of you could help me out with an answer anyhow.

I live in a building that has a lot of metal and I receive poor (regular radio) FM reception.

I want to hook up the FM radio to the cablevision outlet on the wall. Do I need any special type of slitter to pick up the FM radio?

I tried hooking the wire from the wall to the F connector on the radio and all I got was a loud hum. I don't know if there is a problem with the wire or something else is needed to be attached to the outlet.

Thank you all for your patience on this.

Hum sounds like a ground loop.

I bet the ground on your radio, the building or the cable system is bad.

On most cable systems the FM channels are sent along in there normal spot just like old CATV was.

Al42

The FM broadcast band is usually a couple of TV channels on most cable systems. You were probably hearing the video carrier buzz.

N

N_Jay

Al42 said:
The FM broadcast band is usually a couple of TV channels on most cable systems. You were probably hearing the video carrier buzz.

I could be wrong, but I do not think any cable TV channels (especially analog) are in the 88 to 108 portion of the spectrum.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi N Jay and all,

Ch video audio
95 91.25 95.75
96 97.25 101.75
97 103.25 107.75

Yup, wrong as usual. (;->) You won't get the aural subcarrier well either being 50KHz off unless you have an old analog tuned FM receiver.

N

N_Jay

kb2vxa said:
Hi N Jay and all,

Ch video audio
95 91.25 95.75
96 97.25 101.75
97 103.25 107.75

Yup, wrong as usual. (;->) You won't get the aural subcarrier well either being 50KHz off unless you have an old analog tuned FM receiver.

As I have said many times before:
You learn something new every day.

We always avoided 'broadcast' bands with cable system due to worrying about leakage.
Guess the new systems are a whole lot better.

Al42

As far as leakage? Just tune a receiver to 145.25 (or is that 145.45? it's been a few years) and drive around a bit. Most cable systems leak pilot (very badly), so they probably leak everything. I doubt they set the trunk line up as a slot antenna tuned to 145.25.

We used to use one of those Sony 3" portables, back in the mid 60s, to check for leakage, but there wasn't too much OTA signal (the system was a few miles past the Boonies - actually it was a few dogsled runs past the Boonies), so it was more to prevent signal loss than to prevent interference. We had loads of leakage we couldn't always fix, and it's probably the same now, except for fiber trunkage.

Status
Not open for further replies.