FM Broadcast Radio - SDS 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthetik

What's the easiest way to scan for FM broadcast stations? I've put a bunch of local channels in a scan list on Sentinal and it gets hits on all of them very clear audio with the newer firmware and full signal however I'm looking for a solution for when I'm traveling. I set up a custom search with FMB modulation and a range of 88-108 MHz but it's not getting any hits at all and I know there are strong stations in there. I've tried adjusting delay times, modulation (WFM/FMB) step and delay time as well as adjusting my squelch and nothing seems to be working. Thanks! Is there a way to fix this or an easier way to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Thanks all! (y)

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
You can scan VHF Low 2 [54-108 MHz] in Close Call or create a Custom Search for 88-108 MHz and just let it scan while you're driving. When you like a channel hit the Hold button until you lose the signal. I just set it up in Sentinel and leave everything in Auto. I usually don't scan this range when I travel because I get too many hits when using Close Call or Custom Search. Use an external antenna for better results.

Last edited:

synthetik

I've done the second option you suggested and it's not getting any hits. If I hold on a frequency and manually dial in the steps (100kHz) I pick them up. It's just not getting any hits or stopping on any strong signal when searching. Is noise floor too high? What could be causing this? Any way to mitigate? Thank you again!

synthetik

Correct, which is why I opted for a custom search rather than close call (very noisy RF environment here) however manually tuning to the frequencies while on hold it picks up a great signal with -40 RSSI 5 signal bars and excellent audio but it will not stop on any signals at all in the FM band when searching in the custom search, it searches through the whole band with zero hits.

synthetik

I would just enter KNOWN frequencies. Use the car radio to find stations. Simple!

If in the car I would use the car radio to listen - I know this may be an edge case here but I'd like this unit to be as versatile as possible without relying on other equipment. AFAIK it should be able to do this as captainmax1 has stated its working for them. Hoping to have someone help troubleshoot this issue for me. Thank you for your input!

synthetik

I have squelch set at 2, external antenna and leave everything in default Auto. This works great for me

Thank you, I tried what you suggested as well, no dice. I'm using an external antenna with wideband receive - I know its working well as I can hear the stations perfectly with manual entry just not searching. Are there any hidden / buried settings that might be causing it to not stop on active stations with a strong signal in this custom search?

synthetik

I figured this out for anyone else with the same Issue. Close Call/Search Options > Broadcast Screen > turn FM 'OFF', I had them all 'ON' thinking 'ON' meant they were enabled in Close Call/Search (do not avoid) when in fact it means the opposite - having them set to 'ON' enables avoid. The wording on this menu tree is somewhat confusing just a thought for a future firmware update. Maybe 'Broadcast Screen' is called 'Broadcast Avoids' or something to that effect similar to the menu item above 'Freq Avoids'. Thanks all for the input.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
With both my BCD436 and SDS100, the broadcast search mode gets no hits, but if I stop the search, and manually step through the freqs, I can receive FM broadcast stations just fine. Apparently the search mode really doesn't work.

synthetik

yes, it means the screen is turned ON.
sorry, but i just got in, and this was my next question.
great to hear.

Yea I was reading 'screen' as in a display screen, not screen as in filter. Didn't make sense. Why call it screen in one menu item and avoid in another?

synthetik

With both my BCD436 and SDS100, the broadcast search mode gets no hits, but if I stop the search, and manually step through the freqs, I can receive FM broadcast stations just fine. Apparently the search mode really doesn't work.

I had the same issue, my post above (#10) fixed this issue for me. Hope this helps for you if not I can walk you through the whole set up of custom search I used.

synthetik

I'll leave this here for anyone else who comes across this thread in the future:

1. Menu > Search For ... > Edit Custom > Select Custom 0 or any of the others.
2. Edit Name (I used 'FM Broadcast), press YES key.
3. Edit Search Limit > Set lower limit 88 MHz, press YES key or Volume knob in, Set upper limit 108 MHz, press YES key or Volume knob in.
4. You can leave all other options on their default (but make sure Attenuator is off).
5. Back out to Root Menu > Srch/CloCall Opt > Broadcast Screen > Set Each Band > Set FM to 'Off' (this is the step that threw me).

If you're using the latest firmware Global Audio filter to Normal yields the best results. I've found Squelch at 2 or 3 works best for me but YMMV depending on where you're at.

Ubbe

To get some sort of speed while scanning/searching in a scanner you'll need to detect the noise level at an audio frequency that are above normal speech, and also above the frequency range that digital signals use, so that the modulation doesn't interfere with the noise detection.

That will work with NFM and FM narrow deviation signals but not with FM broadcast signals as those are full of other datasignals like pilot tone for the stereosignal and RDS and other info that makes it impossible to use the higher above audio signal as a squelch. You have to switch to using signal level squelch, that will give a scan rate of something like 5ch/s. Uniden probably doesn't bother with that and implement software for slow scan signal detect mode, as most people set a 100KHz step size and manually tune around in the FM broadcast band.

/Ubbe

synthetik

Thanks for the input as well that's good to know. I've noticed if the squelch is at 2 it searches fairly rapidly but picks up fairly distant and scratchy signals, if I'm in the 3-4 range search is much slower but only picks up strong signal stations and stops on them until I continue searching. This suits my purposes for FM Broadcast, in the rare instances where I'm using this I'm searching this small band only and hold on one station for some time when I find it.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I had the same issue, my post above (#10) fixed this issue for me. Hope this helps for you if not I can walk you through the whole set up of custom search I used.
I went into the menu and changed FM to OFF, and this fixed the problem. THANK YOU! I don't understand why Uniden has this turned on by default. It cripples the search function.

Status
Not open for further replies.