FM broadcast stations keep popping up in scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
While scanning regular “stuff”, suddenly the scanner is “searching” and of course stopping on, all the local FM radio stations. I have’nt used the 396 much in a while, and can’t for the life of me remember where this is int the menu’s?? I recall this occuring once before and it was an easy fix, simply turning something off......

Any ideas?

Any ideas?
Broadcast Screen these settings determine whether the scanner automatically ignores transmissions that are on common broadcasts, paging systems, and other annoyance radio sources during Custom Search, Quick Search, or Close Call Search.Note: Broadcast screen is not effective during some service searches.
Scroll to 'Broadcast Screen' and press E/yes.
Scroll to 1 of 4 options and press E/yes.
Set All Bands On - turns on broadcast screen on for all bands. Press Menu to return.
Set All Bands Off - turns off broadcast screen off for all bands. Press Menu to return.
Set Each Band - then scroll to each band and press E/yes to turn off or on. Press Menu to return.
Pager - the scanner skips known paging system frequencies.
FM - the scanner skips known FM frequencies.
UHF TV - the scanner skips known UHF TV frequencies.
VHF TV - the scanner skips known VHF TV frequencies.
NOAA WX - the scanner skips known NOAA weather frequencies.
Band 1-10 - the scanner skips known frequencies for custom broadcast ranges.
Program Band - then scroll to the custom band (1-10) and press E/yes.
At 'Set Lower Limit' enter the lower limit of the frequency range and press E/yes.
At 'Set Upper Limit' enter the upper limit of the frequency range and press E/yes.
Scroll to the next band and repeat. Press Menu twice to return.

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
While scanning regular “stuff”, suddenly the scanner is “searching” and of course stopping on, all the local FM radio stations. I have’nt used the 396 much in a while, and can’t for the life of me remember where this is int the menu’s?? I recall this occuring once before and it was an easy fix, simply turning something off......

Any ideas?
Check what you may be “Search”ing for.

toad99

Premium Subscriber
Menu --> Srch/CloCall Opt --> Broadcast Screen

Set bands you want to skip to "on". I just set them all on.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you see an icon with a C in the center at lower right on your screen, that is for Close Call. Press Function and then HOLD while scanning. You may have to do that twice to turn off Close Call.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The third and fifth harmonics of broadcast stations sometimes will be heard on scanners.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Menu --> Srch/CloCall Opt --> Broadcast Screen

Set bands you want to skip to "on". I just set them all on.

OHHHHH!!! ON???? O thought turning them "ON" would make them be searched!!! ON in this case means "Skipped"?? I will try this later... thanks!!

All the rest of stuff I have tried, it's not harmonics or CC which is 100% off. All my custom searches are blank (0.00-0.00), so that's not it. I also don't recall ever adding any searches to scan banks/groups. Could have been done on accident..., I doubt it but...

I read that "Broadcast" section of the Easier Manual about 16 times thinking I was missing something... none of that helped. I guess I missed the part about ON meaning off! ;-)

Thanks for the help guys.... hope that works.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Well, jsut fire up the scanner, when to Broadcast setting, turned ALL BANDS ON, no worky, same thing still stops on all Broadcast stations. Does not show any status symbols on the display when it stops on them other than: "FM Broadcast" and the frequency with a small "FMB" under the frequency. No CC, or search indicators when scanning..

Any other ideas?

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I fixed this, somehow! Not sure how, but I was playing around with all the Search settings, the Broadcast settings, Close call settings... somehow it went away, but as far as I can see, none of those settings are different that how I had them. The Broadcast settings seem to be the ones that would have caused it, but I could turn them ALL ON or ALL OFF and it made no difference with my problem?

On the positive side, did learn a bit about the Broadcast and CC options, I've never played around them before. I now realize what Broadcast "SCREEN" is referring to, I for some reason had "screen" in my head as a monitor "screen", as in TV screen, or computer screen! LOL oh, they meant screening, and in call screening, or to "screen something out". Why didn't they call it "Lockout", so it fit with normal scanner nomenclature?

Lastly, anyone know how/where to email fixes/errors on "Marks" manuals page? I find an error, but I don't see any contact info anywhere...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This has happened to me a number of times. I inadvertently bump the wrong button and put the scanner in Close Call mode. Then the scanner stops on a broadcast channel. If you seen an icon like the one shown below, you are in Close Call mode. The button to turn this on is easily bumped (on at least some scanners, it is the squelch knob).

Machria

Premium Subscriber
This has happened to me a number of times. I inadvertently bump the wrong button and put the scanner in Close Call mode. Then the scanner stops on a broadcast channel. If you seen an icon like the one shown below, you are in Close Call mode. The button to turn this on is easily bumped (on at least some scanners, it is the squelch knob).

View attachment 82789

Thanks, but that was the first thing I checked. CC was not on, and the icon was not appearing...

u2brent

OAMPT

View attachment 82789
F + AVOID ?

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
lockout all the custom searchs numbered 1 thru 10 that way they wont be scanned. they are in the manual,

Machria

Premium Subscriber
You had Service Search turned on for FM Broadcast.

Yeah, I think so.... after playing around with those menu's and understanding how they work now, it must have been. I never use service searches, so just never normaly go in those menu's...

Status
Not open for further replies.