fM Radio Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Im trying to listen to a P25 frequency on 851.875 and the only signal I get is from this Radio tower down the road. Its a College FM radio station I think . Its a tall tower with the light ontop and its about 3 or 4 blocks from me and all I hear is this darn thing no matter which scanner I use. Is there a way to block that signal from coming into my scanner. I tried ATT but that cut everything out.

paulears

Google RF stub filters - pretty easy to make and you tune them to the unwanted frequency and they act as a notch. I suspect that the real problem with the very big difference between the broadcast frequency and the 800MHz frequency is that your receiver filtering is poor or non-existent. 100MHz at a distance wiping out 800MHz seems a bit odd. Perhaps some strange mixing with another local signal is going on?

marksmith

A notch filter might help this, but that is one heck of an image problem from 100 mz to 800mz.
3 or 4 blocks away at that difference in frequency is a strange event. Especially when you consider college radio stations are low power.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

ecps92

Could it actually be a STL from 950 Mhz vs the Commercial FM 100 Mhz band ??
A notch filter might help this, but that is one heck of an image problem from 100 mz to 800mz.
3 or 4 blocks away at that difference in frequency is a strange event. Especially when you consider college radio stations are low power.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

paulears

ah - I see. Not one we use here, well - we do obviously have studio to transmitter links, but don't use the acronym. There's one from a radio station here in town to the TX site on 1.5GHz, and it's just listed in the Government data as 'link'.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have a uniden 996XT and a uniden 996P2 and what Im trying to monitor is IL Starcom system here in Quincy, IL. There is 2 towers one in Quincy and one at Mendon The Broadcast knocks out the Quincy tower signal I can pickup the mendon tower but you will hear music coming in on the signal. What ever is on this tower I think is blocking signals. There is more then one thing on this tower then a couple block the other way is Sprint tower also. When the state police is in this area they can't get thru on their radios. So maybe Im SOL....lol

majoco

Stirrer
The problem is probably cross-modulation or overloading of the RF stages of your radio. An FM band stop filter should reduce to problem to manageable proportions - google is your friend.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
It is entirely possible, being only a few blocks away, that said college station has some sort of spurious radiation at 851 MHz. A spectrum analyzer would be your best bet to be sure.

lmrtek

Try a FM trap and see what happens

if that doesn't fix it, buy a 20 dollar SDR dongle and check for a dirty transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.