FM radio on scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsTN

Since most scanners get the aircraft band, part of which is 108-138 MHz, and regular FM radio immediately proceeds it at 87.5-107.9 MHz, why isn't it just included, since regular FM radio is so popular? I can understand why regular AM isn't included, since not many scanners get down to the 0.5 MHz to 2.0 MHz range.

Last edited:

freqs

The pro 2006 that I have get's the FM radio . 88 - 108 MHz .I dont feel there is a need for the FM band on my Scanner but thats just me FM sounds so much better on my Entertainment System .
But a few Scanners made do have that FM band included .

cpsTN

I get FM Radio on my 396XT

I just looked up that scanner. That looks cool. Although, the price is high, it is not out of my realm of financing. In the next couple of years, when I replace my current portable scanner (PRO-164), I will most likely go to one of the higher-end scanner world. Thank You.

kskarma

I think the demand is fairly low for a scanner with FM broadcast included. I have a few with that coverage and I like having that option, but I think the broader market is just not there. And..FM is WideBand...whereas communications are generally NarrowBand. Not a huge deal, but it would need a bit of extra cost involved..which means less profit...!

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
Since most scanners get the aircraft band, part of which is 108-138 MHz, and regular FM radio immediately proceeds it at 87.5-107.9 MHz, why isn't it just included, since regular FM radio is so popular? I can understand why regular AM isn't included, since not many scanners get down to the 0.5 MHz to 2.0 MHz range.
My Uniden BR330T has both AM Broadcast and FM Broadcast capability on the search menu. Kinda nice to be able to monitor the skywarn freqs and then see what else is being updated on commercial radio and TV since the BR330T also has TV Broadcast. The news media search on the menu just complements all the rest. The BR330T is an older radio and is not digital but has lots of features as well as Nascar Race freqs programmed in. Almost all major Cities trunking systems are already on the database also. Found mine on internet for $125. (Happy Face)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've played standard FM broadcast on the Uniden BCD996XT, using it's WFM filter mode, and it worked great!

cpsTN

The pro 2006 that I have get's the FM radio . 88 - 108 MHz .I dont feel there is a need for the FM band on my Scanner but thats just me FM sounds so much better on my Entertainment System .

I listen to music as CDs and MP3s, and only rarely on the radio. The great majority of my radio listening is to conservative talk, not music. It would be great option for me to be able to go from the scanner to the "FM dial" on the same unit.

kd7rto

After the recent events in Haiti, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gotten out the bug out bag, to replace items that have spoiled or gone past date, and to evaluate if anything new needs to be added.

It would be nice to have your own car trunk full of canned food and camping gear in an evacuation, but it would be foolish not to take into account the possibility of having to go on foot. With space and weight being critical considerations in what can be carried on your person, items that combine multiple functions are particularly helpful. That's where I see the main advantage in a WFM capable scanner.

Being able to simultaneously listen to a wireless mic in another room at a convention is just icing on the cake.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
FM Broadcast

Since most scanners get the aircraft band, part of which is 108-138 MHz, and regular FM radio immediately proceeds it at 87.5-107.9 MHz, why isn't it just included, since regular FM radio is so popular?
It has nothing to do with the frequency, it has to do with the BANDWIDTH of the channels. Typical frequencies received by scanners are somewhere between 10kHz and 25kHz wide (and getting narrower). FM broadcast channels are 150kHz. This requires a different discriminator circuit in the scanner and that increases cost.

so what do you think,,
WideBand Rec?
all ive seen lack the cap.
to receive Digi-P25..

most still pick up the tone/CSQ
traffic though..i could be wrong..

yeah,,but im a talk radio listiner,,AM band..
you know how foolish i feel with a grundig handheld AND
a digital trunking rec..

wold be nice to be hearing the opinions around the city,to be interupted by a police chace in my neighborhood...

N8IAA

wold be nice to be hearing the opinions around the city,to be interupted by a police chace in my neighborhood...
Chase won't interrupt your talk show. The signal is constant on WFM and AM. The scanner won't unlock from receive and move on to another frequency. Had a BC780. Used to see what the FM broadcast band was like. Better to receive on a dedicated AM/FM radio. Now, when I had my 2006, I used to listen to SATCOMS during the first Iragi war. Would hear the F-15's on HF and then the SATCOMS came alive with the encrypted comms of the B-2's and F-117's. Tuned to CNN and watched the bombing runs.
Larry

CrabbyMilton

I have a pair of UNIDEN 250D's and I can receive FM broadcast on them. I wish it could receive AM broadcast that way, I could take the scanner to the baseball game at MILLER PARK, listen the the broadcast, then in between innings listen to behind the scenes material....all in one unit.

kskarma

Delete this.......

Delete this message.. HHHmm...What am I missing here? The "Edit" comes up with a note that says "Edit/Delete" message, but I have not figured out how to totally get rid of my earlier post... help, Help, HELP...!!

Last edited:

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
My `396T will do the FM broadcast band, and i really like it for when i wanna listen to a GB Packers game or Brewers baseball game and hear the play-calling while i`m at Miller Park watching the action, most effiicient as it makes it easier to spot a good play with my binoculars. N9NRA

freqs

Well if you are at the ball game and the game is on TV you might be able to pick it up on the 450MHz and the 455MHz broadcast link area on your scanner if you have a scanner that dont get FM radio freqs.
Just a idea ??

cpsTN

It has nothing to do with the frequency, it has to do with the BANDWIDTH of the channels. Typical frequencies received by scanners are somewhere between 10kHz and 25kHz wide (and getting narrower). FM broadcast channels are 150kHz. This requires a different discriminator circuit in the scanner and that increases cost.

I didn't know that FM was so much wider a bandwidth than the others. It does make sense though. The fidelity of the broadcasts would rather require it. Also, expecting it on a unit in the $200 price range is expecting too much, I would say. Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.