FM signal getting through with car radio but not home radio (Help Jankying it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockstrom

Hi. Not sure where to post this so if admins want can you move it for me please.

Hi. so I live in Montreal, Canada and when Montrealers drive around in their car they can get 99.9 WBTZ on the car radio alll the way from Vermont, USA (see map below). But when you listen to radio in an apartment or house, even with older more powerful home radios, you can't seem to be able to listen to it.

Now, I was wondering what I should buy to make it possible for me to listen to that station at home. I figure if cars can get it, there is probably a way to boost the signal, right? Open to all suggestions.

Here's the location of antenna and where I live on a google maps : Galeries D'anjou / Jean-Talon [46476] to WBTZ 99.9 the Buzz

PS: Yes I know about web based solutions with vpns and whatnot, but I want to try it the oldschool way, and trucker friends told me this is the place to be. :)

Thanks in advance.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As Slicer said,
If you are trying to use the indoor antenna with your home stereo, it's likely the issue.

If the signal is strong enough that you can reliably receive it in your car, then you probably just need to get a simple FM broadcast antenna outside your home:

If it's a pretty weak signal, then you might want a directional FM broadcast antenna and point it south towards the transmitter:

Use some RG-6 coaxial cable and whatever necessary adapter you need to connect it to your home stereo, like maybe a balun:

The first antenna I linked to will work pretty well for receiving all the FM broadcast stations around you. It's not directional, so it receives well in all directions, just like the antenna on your car.

The second antenna is directional, and will receive better in one direction, so reception of other FM broadcast stations might be reduced.

The key to all this is getting the antenna OUTSIDE away from noise sources, metal, wiring, ventilation ducts, plumbing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.