Foley-Daphne-Bay Minette NXDN system — new talkgroups

TomServo

Area Listener
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, I've submitted a few new talkgroups for this system recently, but I've also got some mystery talkgroups that I don't know much about. Here's the complete list of the new talkgroups if anyone may know what some of these are for:

100 - No voice activity, but Bay Minette radios are seen affiliating with it, and only on the Bay Minette tower.

123 - Foley PD, encrypted. Unknown use but it seems to be a second ops/tac type channel based on the way it comes to life sporadically. Submitted pending approval.

254 & 255 - Unknown, encrypted and with no radio IDs that I can find yet. Getting 30+ hits a day on both talkgroups.

257 - Daphne PD, encrypted. Unknown use but appears to be in light use most days. Submitted as Ops/TAC 2.
262 - Daphne PD, encrypted. Unknown use but is heavily used with the same radios as the main TG 261 dispatch channel. Submitted as Ops/TAC 1.

267 - Foley City Jail, encrypted. The same radios that appear on TG 129 Foley Jail Ops 1 also show up here. Submitted.

285 - Unknown. Only a few hits, no voice traffic recorded yet.

296 - Unknown. Only a few hits.

327 - Unknown. Only a few hits.

329 - Unknown public works, very active. Only two radio IDs, "SW SUPERVISOR" and "R BLDG".

334 - Unknown. Radio IDs include "SW Coordinator" and "T132". I wonder if these are all Foley, because the radio number IDs are all in the same range as the ones heard in the past on TG 336 Foley Public Works.

sadave

Good morning!

I've recorded radio IDs for 254, 257, and 262 which resolve to Daphne PD. It's all been encrypted so I don't know what they call the channels internally. In Sentinel, I've added several Daphne PD channels with my own numbering:

Police Ch 2-254
Police Ch 3-255
Police Ch 4-257
Police Ch 5-258
Dispatch PD Comm (though encrypted, this is what is displayed on my BCD436HP)-261
Police Ch 6-262
Traffic (normally school crossing guards unencrypted)-263
Police Ch 7-266
Police Ch 8-267

I've got 329 as Daphne Public Works Trash Collection based upon radio traffic and locations. TG 334 is already in the RRDB as Daphne Solid Waste Division. I previously recorded 327 (before I started looking at radio IDs) and have it as Daphne Public Works. I'm trying to hear more on these before sending them in.

Shep

TomServo

Area Listener
Premium Subscriber
After seeing your list I went and double checked, and you're right. That 267 must be Daphne city jail, not Foley. The radio ID numbers are similar but not a match and the text fields are quite different. I had already submitted it but sent a follow-up note so hopefully it'll get corrected before publishing.

Now why on earth does Daphne think they need so many channels for one suburban town? LOL.

I've got two more talkgroups that have been logged today:

142 - showed up with just one radio ID of "SRT Patch", at around 2:30 pm on Thursday.
278 - Just one transmission, someone calling from Daphne Engine 1 but there was no response.

I'm quickly getting used to the different way DSD+ logs things and records audio versus SDRTrunk. DSD will record blank audio files when there's encrypted traffic, which is weird and leads to a lot of files to wade through each evening that I monitor with it, but it's still fun. Since it isn't trunk-tracking this network I do miss quite a bit, especially when tropo acts up and Okaloosa County pops in on one of the Robertsdale frequencies.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm quickly getting used to the different way DSD+ logs things and records audio versus SDRTrunk. DSD will record blank audio files when there's encrypted traffic, which is weird and leads to a lot of files to wade through each evening that I monitor with it, but it's still fun. Since it isn't trunk-tracking this network I do miss quite a bit, especially when tropo acts up and Okaloosa County pops in on one of the Robertsdale frequencies.

In DSDPlus, at least Fast Lane, you can disable the following of encrypted communications. And if you do that, it's not going to switch to ENC voice calls and will not record them. Control --> Encrypted Voice Call Following --> No Following.

You don't trunk-track it? Why wouldn't you? At any rate, if you are must monitoring the voice channels direct then the instructions above may not work. I know they work if you are trunk-tracking.

TomServo

Area Listener
Premium Subscriber
In DSDPlus, at least Fast Lane, you can disable the following of encrypted communications. And if you do that, it's not going to switch to ENC voice calls and will not record them. Control --> Encrypted Voice Call Following --> No Following.

You don't trunk-track it? Why wouldn't you? At any rate, if you are must monitoring the voice channels direct then the instructions above may not work. I know they work if you are trunk-tracking.

This is the free 1.101 version. It's been ages since I checked but the Fastlane version didn't support my SDRPlay radios when I first started exploring digital scanning, so I kind of forgot about it. Even SDRTrunk doesn't support one of my radios now except via nightly with a special unreleased API that I'm using, so I would not expect Fastlane to work for me yet, still.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
This is the free 1.101 version. It's been ages since I checked but the Fastlane version didn't support my SDRPlay radios when I first started exploring digital scanning, so I kind of forgot about it. Even SDRTrunk doesn't support one of my radios now except via nightly with a special unreleased API that I'm using, so I would not expect Fastlane to work for me yet, still.

Ok. I'm off topic (sorry). But just so you aware aware, it supports RSP2 devices and uses SDRPlay API version 3.11. I think it works with the Duo and older models. So probably not ready for you yet. If I recall correctly, I think in the nightly SDRTrunk it has AP version 3.14 or 3.15, which explains why you have support in SDRtrunk.

At any rate, have fun!

Last edited:

TomServo

Area Listener
Premium Subscriber
Ok. I'm off topic (sorry). But just so you aware aware, it supports RSP2 devices and uses SDRPlay API version 3.11. I think it works with the Duo and older models. So probably not ready for you yet. If I recall correctly, I think in the nightly SDRTrunk it has AP version 3.14 or 3.15, which explains why you have support in SDRtrunk.

At any rate, have fun!
No worries! DSD is not something I'm overly familiar with still, so it wouldn't surprise me if I am missing a command line switch option somehow to make decoding better. I still haven't tried to tweak any of the audio settings, either. NXDN audio sounds really bad right now!

I'm using an RSPdxR2 and two original RSP1 models, with API 3.16.

sadave

After seeing your list I went and double checked, and you're right. That 267 must be Daphne city jail, not Foley. The radio ID numbers are similar but not a match and the text fields are quite different. I had already submitted it but sent a follow-up note so hopefully it'll get corrected before publishing.

Now why on earth does Daphne think they need so many channels for one suburban town? LOL.

I've got two more talkgroups that have been logged today:

142 - showed up with just one radio ID of "SRT Patch", at around 2:30 pm on Thursday.
278 - Just one transmission, someone calling from Daphne Engine 1 but there was no response.

Because of encryption, we'll probably never know much of the TG usage but for a town the size of Daphne it would not surprise me to see multiple channels for Admin, supervisors, SWAT, training, jail, court operations, and investigators. Even so, that is a bunch of talkgroups. Now, if they would only encrypt the public works guys (PLEASE!)

Shep