Follow The Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

I could have sworn he said his site had all the information he needed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For frequencies I listen to I do and I am also good at hunting down new users. What this site is great for it information on equipment, changes to what and how people listen to.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
OMG Who the hell really cares, but the radio or don't buy the radio, its capitalism, Lindsay found a niche market that works, nobody else had the forethought or balls to make it happen, and now people cry, smdh

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You might want to consider ending the goodie train completely, though -- "huge contribution" or not. Any 'incentive' is too much and muddies the waters.

If this were a taxpayer funded operation, you'd have a valid concern. But it's a privately owned for profit operation. The money can go where it wants.

janetball1994

If this were a taxpayer funded operation, you'd have a valid concern. But it's a privately owned for profit operation. The money can go where it wants.

You miss the point. Just because it CAN go "where it wants," doesn't mean it SHOULD go there, and it doesn't matter a bit just how the subject is owned. It still smacks of a pay for play.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I don't see how. The perks don't go to the owner of the site. Only to the volunteer minions.

But, the site does generally get prereleases and then releases of upgrades as part of our arrangement, so that we can work together to coordinate the release of updates. Sometimes changes are made to the site to better support updates (especially when new modes are added) and sometimes we have to modify our planned implementation to better work with the RRDB. This is not a perk, however, but part of the normal and customary requirements of developing product. Again, I would be incredibly surprised if Whistler did not do this, as well, but have no knowledge one way or the other (but they certainly would not be blocked from doing so), so this does not confer any special privilege on Uniden nor any particular disadvantage to Whistler and hugely benefits the scanning community.

Oh, and thank you for my new name (just using it in my sig, though).

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You miss the point. Just because it CAN go "where it wants," doesn't mean it SHOULD go there, and it doesn't matter a bit just how the subject is owned. It still smacks of a pay for play.

He didn't miss the point. He nailed it. It's privately owned and how they run, promote or develop it is none of our business.

CQ

And RR is much nicer easier to use and more updated than POLICE CALL books ever were. I just wish more folks would submit updates and not keep information to themselves.

I much prefer posting my own information on my own site, for no reason other than I can post it in a format I like and arranged how it works best for me. I can also add extra information and update it as often as I like.

And there is nothing wrong with that...

The only question I would have is if you have all of the information you need on your site then why do you come here?

Well my site contains information on my local area which only really matters to people close to me. RR has a much wider range of information (mostly about equipment). Changes and developments in the US of A will happen here in the future so I like to keep up to date on what is happening in general.

100 % with you! Share what you have. Some "people" are against it around these parts. Sad.
Scan On. And share please.

I used to run my own site. After a few years, it got to be too much like work, so I decided to donate my data and all the rights thereto to what I considered to be the best host for the info. Now it's all in the RRDB. I don't always agree with their policies regarding the DB, but I still support the DB with premium membership and data submissions, and I refer people here first.

If I believed that there was anything unethical going on between Radio Reference and any scanner maker or anyone else, I would not be here.

And so goes some issues with crowdsourcing...lack of sharing, "free labor", GIGO, etc.

If people got paid for accurate and timely submissions, things might be better?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I think some have missed that PB_Lonnie is in Tasmania, so his needing to wing it apart from RRDB (which, while worldwide capable is really mainly North America centric).

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I think some have missed that PB_Lonnie is in Tasmania, so his needing to wing it apart from RRDB (which, while worldwide capable is really mainly North America centric).
Yep it's too easy to think the whole world is like the US. Most people would have culture shock if they ever left the US

zz0468

QRT
Banned

No, I didn't miss the point. Your point isn't valid. RR and Uniden can engage in whatever legal business relationship they want to. There's no requirement that YOU approve.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
No, I didn't miss the point. Your point isn't valid. RR and Uniden can engage in whatever legal business relationship they want to. There's no requirement that YOU approve.

He thinks Uniden gets preferential treatment in the forums in return for whatever financial agreement RadioReference.com LLC and Uniden have. Which as far as me is completely false. As I've posted numerous times I have absolutely no directive to delete ANY negative thread/posts towards Uniden (or Whistler, Unication, Motorola or any comany). And I receive no money, upgrades, discounts, favors or anything from Uniden (or Whistler, Unication or any company) for any actions I may or may not take here.

I'm sorry this doesn't fit his narrative, it just is what it is.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Dealing cordially (or even, dare I say, nicely) with other industry participants is neither underhanded nor corrupting. I've corresponded directly with Whistler Wendy (we certainly don't discuss product plans, but I gave some advice when she first started posting), all the former GRE and now Whistler developers (at least, I think they still are...we mostly discuss life, family, common friends), I still consider the founder of GRE and their chief engineer in Tokyo as dear friends, but we don't correspond. I have a great relationship with guys over at Cobra, too, even though they are my chief competitors in CB and FRS (my other main categories).

Wayne Wilson (formerly we worked together at RadioShack) and I are still friends who don't see each other (he moved away into retirement and grandfatherhood after leaving Whistler) and we used to say that during the day we'd do our best to bloody each other on the battlefield, but after the day is done, if I see you in a bar I'm going to buy you a beer. And we did just that on more than one occassion (well, no blood, and I took bourbon, not beer).

Being nice isn't corrupt. If I can buy your loyalty for a bottle of beer (or one free or discounted DMR upgrade) you set your price too low.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Anyone who thinks the Brinks truck is backing up to the loading docks of hobby radio scanner companies is not firmly grounded in reality. The entire premise of this thread is from InfoWars territory.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Then don't do business with them. That's the extent of your say in the matter. If you don't like a company's policy or business practice, than find someone else do business with.

Status
Not open for further replies.