Fontana PD New Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd6ecz

I wish I had more information. I'm certainly intrigued by that article. I know that San Bernardino County is working on rebanding the 18+ old 800 MHz trunked radio system that is currently in place. I'm wondering if Fontana just approved the purchase of new radios that are compatible with rebanding or if this is some sort of separate radio system. Most cops I know have little knowledge of the way the radio systems actually work so I wonder if that "classified" term was just tossed out there due to lack of understanding.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
I'm wondering if Fontana just approved the purchase of new radios that are compatible with rebanding or if this is some sort of separate radio system.
I got to thinking about this for a bit and some ideas came to mind. A few things cause me to guess that this is something separate:

1) Fontana's normal dispatch is on the county trunked system, as you probably know, and yet there is no mention of the county being involved in this purchase in any way. If it was some upgrade to the county system I woud think the county would be in full charge of that.
2) The mention of the radios being used for SWAT leads me to think that they won't be used on the normal dispatch channel.
3) The article mentioned that 20 radios were purchased and the most recent FCC license (WQDG677) coincidentally allows for 20 users on a mobile frequency.

My guess is that it will be a single-frequency simplex system, which seems to fit the needs of SWAT pretty well. Of course, that is only my guess.

socalmike

Re-read the article

I read the article and it clearly sounded to me that the tactical system and radios were purchased with the same money but it never said one had to do with the other. My guess is that the tactical system is just a modern day "throw phone" system like the one that was developed by LAPD SWAT years ago (for a lot lot less than 30 g's).
Most department in the county have been slowing replacing the old MTS2000's handhelds .

Quote "The hand-held radios will replace obsolete devices, some of which are about 15 years old. "

just my 5 cents

edit : right from the city budget minutes, the radios and tactical system are seperate items.

E. Approve the purchase of a tactical crisis response system in the amount of $30,499.89 from
Enforcement Technology Group, Inc.
F. Approve the purchase of 20 handi-talkies from Motorola in the amount of $66,151.87.

bingo! http://www.etgi.us/cat_results.cfm?sv=62&cat_id=4 if this is what 30 g's gets you I'm in the wrong business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.